Shades Marathon Training

59,081 to 59,100 of 65,070 messages
08/02/2013 at 13:46

Love the list Shades. 7 Irish ones

08/02/2013 at 13:47
I was trying to decide between brooks gt-2000 and brooks adrenaline when I noticed the asics kayano 19 was on sale at wiggle if you buy blue so I ordered them.

Thanks for putting that list together A nice mix!

20 pairs or shoes!? I shall call you Emelda Marcos henceforth
08/02/2013 at 13:51

VR - I wanted to put more than 7 Irish ones, Waterford was good and so was Limerick.

Khanivore - you will get a lot of miles from a pair of Kayano's and a very comfortable shoe too.   I don't run in them any more as they made some changes a few years ago that don't suit me, but a great marathon shoe

08/02/2013 at 13:53

Shades - I got mine from sportsshoes.com.  I couldn't actually get the colour I wanted, but I wasn't overly fussed about that.

As an aside, I did my purchase via quidco and got 10% off and free delivery.  Quidco's offers do change, but the sportsshoes.com savings did end up in my quidco account after a few weeks so every little helps.  I just had a quick look and their current offer is 10% cash back.

08/02/2013 at 13:53

actually wondering if i need the physio.. could just use the money to buy new runners in case that is contributing? have only done about 250 miles since july i think because of the appendix thing so they shouldn't be but might be worth ruling out.. what do you think.. to physio or not to physio?

08/02/2013 at 13:55

Ooooh - North Dorset is on your list.  Looks like I've picked a good one then

08/02/2013 at 15:49
North Dorset is brilliant! It has everything a marathon should have in my book.
Great organisation. Friendly marshalls, perfect time of year, perfect course, scenic and not too many entrants. First year they let 200 run. Now it's about 400 I think. Oh and I don't have too far to travel to get there.
08/02/2013 at 15:53

Nutters

Shades a lot of L marathons but no Luton i see

Todays marathon was done in 4:29:37 with a somewhat speedy last lap that took 35-36 mins and a speedy finish to get under 4:30. Not that anyway has asked but yesterday and wednesday it was chicken burgers for food and today it was a chicken new yorker. Minimal additional eating back here in the TL in the evenings, some chocolate and a hot cross bun or two usually.

08/02/2013 at 16:02

go keith!!

08/02/2013 at 16:08
Congratulations Keith, brilliant running. Hot cross buns good choice. Best of luck!
08/02/2013 at 16:18
Brilliant Keith! Good luck for tomorrow.
08/02/2013 at 17:30

Having had to resort to looking at my race lists to check as although i am sure i wrote the double, triple quad times somewhere i cant find it.

Last year the double took me 9:26 roughlty this year it only took me a little under 8:49. I have 6 hours to beat my triple time and a around 11.5 for the quad.

08/02/2013 at 18:43

Well done Keith!
I couldn't face that lake again!
Good luck for the weekend.

I'm staying local this weekend at off to do Endurance Life South Devon Coastal marathon tomorrow. I did this in 2010 and said never again! Oh well

08/02/2013 at 20:01
Well done Keith!! Good luck for the other two days

@Shades - I love your list! It looks like I might need to do more Irish marathons!

Just got back from a long day in Frankfurt and my head is banging so I'm going to go to bed and have an early night!

Hope that everyone is ok
08/02/2013 at 20:20

Well done Keith!

I've just done a slow and steady 5 miler, in preparation for the Exeter half on Sunday.

VR - that Endurance Life event is supposed to be really tough isn't it?! Good luck!

09/02/2013 at 01:11

I've been really good this week. I am only running every other day as instructed. I was so tempted to run today even though I ran yesterday. I forced myself not to though. Is 3 runs a week enough? 

09/02/2013 at 06:46

Iain - it's not easy to run in your natural style when having a gait analysis unless they let you run for an hour or so....hardly practical, so it's common for the gait analysis results to be flawed.

bootsie - there's no magic cure a physio can do for a knee injury such as yours that wouldn't involve a bit of rest.   Why not postpone the appointment for a week, see how you are then.   You could talk to the sales person in your running shop maybe you need a shoe with a little support, or more forefoot cushioning.   You've had knee problems before haven't you?

Big G - Thanks for the info on the shoes, I'll have a look there.

and North Dorset is my favourite UK marathon

Keith - well done, another good day (except for the food).

No, didn't include L**** as wasn't asked to put the my 10 least favourite marathons

VR - oh no, I hope you have a better day this time at that race.   At least it's local.

Emmy - yes, you'll have to get over to Ireland.   I'm hoping to be able to add Clonakilty to that list after next weekend

Khanivore - please be patient.   Last week you weren't running at all.

How's your leg now?  Your back? Cough 100% gone?

Rest day for me today. Apart from the shopping, housework and I have a fair bit of paperwork to do too

09/02/2013 at 07:59

Any tips on running an event which is 3 laps of a route?  I was thinking it would be of help to me as I'd have a good indication of what the course was (including things like wind conditions) each time around.  Plus I was thinking that after each 1/3 I'd have a good idea of if I was on target (this is less important as I'll have my Garmin anyway)  However, I've read that some people suffer with boredom on these courses and maybe not do as well as they'd hoped?

The Exeter half looks like it is basically 3 laps so I thought I'd ask the question.  I guess it's about trying to keep focused on your pace (if looking for a PB, which I am), but anything else?

In other news, I slipped off the bottom stair in my house last night, and tweaked my shoulder.  I wasn't drunk, honest!  I did some stretching and massage, and it seems 100% fine this morning but I was concerned for a few minutes.  It goes to show that I (being a finely tuned performance machine ), am pretty finally balanced.

Off topic, but I'm hovering over the "Submit" button to buy a couple of tickets for the Premier League Darts which is in Exeter on 28th Feb.  I used to love watching darts as a kid, and caught the opening games on TV this week.... It does get a bit raucaus at these events, and the fact it's sponsored by a crisp company and a money lending company doesn't bode well, but I'm thinking about it   

Another guilty secret of mine is that I love poker.  Not playing, but watching it on TV!  I record all the poker shows on TV.  For me I love the personalities, the fact that over time it is basically a maths game...and obviously winning $10m at the World Series of Poker would be pretty good!  I love the lingo as well...."He's flopped the nuts" = he's got the best possible hand on the flop.  "Pocket rockets", or American Airlines = pocket Aces, "Cowboys" = pocket Kings, "The Ladies" = pocket queens, "The snowmen" = pocket eights, "Anna Kournikova" = Ace King (I.E., it looks nice, but doesn't play very well), etc etc.  In the same way that a lot of people follow football very closely, my game is poker.  I am going to say it's a sport because it does get televised on the sports channels  My wife thinks I'm absolutely nuts, and looks at me like I'm going mad.

Shades - speaking of my wife thinking I'm going mad, after reading your Noddy's guide I bought some teacakes, microwaved them and had them without any spread yesterday.  I think she nearly dialed 999 for me, but I just blamed you.  I hope you don't mind

09/02/2013 at 08:56

Haha big-g that's funny re the teacakes Made me Lol

Shades - I am going to listen to you 100% Definitely being patient. Cough is gone although chest still feels a teeny bit tickly. Back is pain free. Leg is more complicated. That muscle pain/strain on the side of the calf is gone. The hamstring tendonitis is there but at a manageable level i.e. i stretch it regularly and it's not causing me SERIOUS discomfort but i know it's there. The soreness is on the knobly bits at the top / sides of the lower leg where the hamstrings attach. 

09/02/2013 at 10:48
Seems everyone is getting themselves sorted out training wise, some injury issues being managed well. Some dietary questions too!! I've avoided the trifle as well!

Well done to Keith, sounds hard! Good luck VR, Khani- take it steady mate. BigG- not drunk.? Yeh right! GWS

I've managed to squeeze 4 runs in this week with some creativity around run times and distances, gets tricky with work, family, etc,

Rest day today - off to the Natural History Museum with the family today, my 5 yr old loves dinosaurs, so should scare him senseless;) a nice day with my Wife and kids so looking forward to it.

LSR tomorrow! Going to be chilly and snowy? Bbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.