Shades Marathon Training

59,101 to 59,120 of 67,340 messages
09/02/2013 at 16:33

4:40 dead today and it snowed for a few hours this morning despite met office saying 20% chance of anything all day bar some rain in the morning

Allday brekkie to refuel on today, apparently several of them had read its a good post marathon recovery meal. Personally i think they have been reading a blog from one of us Not mine i hasten to add.

09/02/2013 at 17:56
That's impressive running Keith

I love poker as well and used to play a fair bit, and watched a few times

15 this morning, felt good for 14.5 and then something in my lower right calf/or high on the Achilles started hurting, eased up for last .5 .Hurts a little if I keep feet flat on the floor then lean forward. I'll see how it feels over the next couple of days and go from there.

Doing snowdon this year, everyone says its really good.

New trainers on my list as well, not sure what to try.
09/02/2013 at 20:35
Had to go out on my own for 20 miles this afternoon as I was on a course today. It was hard! I did 5 1/2 loops from home which include a mile of gentle up and the sand down. Overall pace of 9:23 but feel done now. Hoping its just because I've pushed myself hard this week with hill reps, MWLR (which had 9 miles at slightly faster than MP) and then 16 x 300 m reps.

Half marathon next weekend. Any tips on how to pace it? Do I just run fast and hope for the best?
10/02/2013 at 07:28

Keith - well done.   All day brekkie is a good recovery meal as masses of protein but not good if you've got to run again, won't leave enough room for carb top up.

KingKenny - you've tweaked your soleus or calf, take it easy for a day or so with gentle calf stretches and no fast running until it's gone.

Are you doing the Snowdon race in July or do you mean Snowdonia marathon in October?   Superb marathon, have never done the July race.

Clag - well done on the loops, that's a tough week's training.

Re your half marathon, if you feel fit and well, race it.  You're in good shape.

We have very heavy rain here, don't envy VR doing that off road marathon not too far from here......your best trail shoes I think for today.   But it's milder.

Edited: 10/02/2013 at 07:30
10/02/2013 at 07:50

Rain not snow today for us, so better add extra lube/bodyglide then

Shades- Carbs is the hot cross buns later on when i am back in my room. Today it shall be large roast lunch.

10/02/2013 at 07:58

Keith - have a good run.   Better make that more than one hot cross bun and you'll have earned that roast lunch

10/02/2013 at 08:59

I did it yesterday in the dry!

Tough tough tough! Because of landslides they diverted the route and made it longer!
So it was 29 miles. Still good training and I wasnt last! WhooHoo!

10/02/2013 at 09:01

VR - that was a bit of luck and an ultra too!  Well done.

10/02/2013 at 09:02

Well done Keith! Enjoy your roast!

Happy Birthday Emmy!!  Enjoy your day doing Genk Marathon! Good luck!! 

10/02/2013 at 09:23

Happy Birthday Emmy - hope you have a great day...

10/02/2013 at 09:35
Ooh, a birthday! Happy birthday Emmy!

Thanks Shades - feeling okay today as I've had a long sleep. Eaten plenty this morning as I really struggled to get food over my throat last night. Did take gels when out (3). Really struggling with them!
10/02/2013 at 09:56
Ok will do, feels better today, not due a run until tomorrow eve and may leave that until Tuesday.

It's the snowdon marathon I'm doing. The snowdon race looks good as well, saw it last year whilst walking the horseshoe.
10/02/2013 at 10:07

That,s one of my favourites KingKenny.Love that Marathon

10/02/2013 at 13:11
Happy Birthday Emmy! Hope you've had a good day despite the rain and drizzle!

Well done VR on the 29 miles!!! Think I would have stopped as soon as the Garmin showed 26.2.

Clag, have you tried shot bloks instead of gels? Like pieces of jelly and much easier to carry. I tried them on my run today and really liked them.

16 miles today which went well except as I haven't done a 20 for a couple of weeks now, I went faster than my long run pace. Felt good to be going faster, just hope I don't pay for it in my HM next weekend.
10/02/2013 at 13:46

VR - 29 miles!  Well done!

Shades - not sure where to begin with my half marathon today.  I was up for it and felt I had prepared very well in terms of fluids/food/rest etc, although I was feeling nervous.  Then, 5 mins before the start I was told that the race distance had been adjusted due to flooding and it was only going to be 12 miles - this was confirmed on the start line by the person on the tannoy.  This threw me to be honest, and I was standing at the start feeling a bit annoyed and not sure what to do (in hindsight, this was a stupid reaction - I should have just set off at a steady 8 min/mile pace as I had planned, but I kind of just thought "Sod it, it's not going to count as a PB...let's see what happens").  All in all, I went off too quick but from about mile 8 the mile markings on the course (and my Garmin) were suggesting that if anything it was going to be over distance.....and it was!  It was 13.22 miles in the end.

Anyway, enough of the excuses.  The first 8-9 miles went well (in terms of how I was feeling), I needed a pit stop in mile 11 and ended up doing the 13.22 miles in 1:47:49...this is averaging 08:09 min/mile.

The last 2 miles were slower (by some margin) than the first 2, which I know is not a good thing, although I did pick it up a bit on the finishing straight.

It was a flat course, and the rain did stop at the start of the event.  It was funny, because at mile 4ish people were taking tops off as it was hot, but the temperature dipped and mile 9ish onwards it was very cold.

So, the big question!  Based on this could you give me a hand with my marathon training pacing, and what time I may be capable of at North Dorset which is 12 weeks away?  Should I be training for a 4hr30 finish, for example, or is 4hr15 or 4hr within reach I wonder?  Still the main aim is to enjoy this one but I'd like to think I can achieve a sub-4:30 if I concentrate on the pacing of the LSRs in particular.  If you say otherwise though, I will reconsider this.

For info, I did a 10K (in training) on a flat course in mid-Jan in 46:18.

10/02/2013 at 13:50

Happy birthday Emmy....

Well i have never understood the reasoning behind a LSR till today... I went out with a mate of mine and did 10 miles in around 1hr 20 min (which is slow for me) average pace around the 8 min mark.. really enjoyed it and absolutely no aches or pains at all. was able to focus on the run and save my energy for the last mile which i always push as hard as i can go..last mile done in 6:02. really pumped from my run which hasnt happened in a long while..

10/02/2013 at 15:46

Happy birthday Emmy

4:18 again today 7 seconds faster than thursday. Also sub 4:30 average too.Failed to eat all my supersize roast too... I left the peas as i couldn't be arsed chasing them around the plate to eat as well as a couple of spuds (they were small)

Right shin hurts now when i move around and when i poke it.... Best not be too bad tomorrow as i kinda use that foot to drive with.

10/02/2013 at 18:05
Should have done an 18 mile LSR today but felt achy from the start. Never got into it and stopped at 8 miles feeling completely wiped out. Not sure what happened. i ate properly yesterday and this morning. hopefully, it's just a one off...
10/02/2013 at 18:17
Hello all! Thank you for the kind wishes!! I've had a lovely race birthday and being sung "happy birthday " as I crossed the finish line made me tear up a little!

@VR - well done on a cracking race! 29miles is a hell of a long way!
@Keith - well done on completing another quadzilla!! Will I see you on the start line next year?
@bIg G - a cracking time! Well done on the half!
Iain - I'd like your legs please!1.20 for a 10miler AND feeling easy? I want that!

@Shades - how are you getting on? Did you manage to get all of your paperwork done?

I promise to get back to everyone tomorrow once I've had a rest. It also promise to write up a full report later but at the moment I feel like my legs want to come off! It's been a very cold day!
11/02/2013 at 07:13

Clag - you need to find something that is palatble for you to replace those gels otherwise in race conditions you might not be able to take them on board when you need them.   Try ordinary sweets.

Slowkoala - tut tut you should not be running faster in your longer runs just because it wasn't 20 miles.  Be patient we will recalculate your paces after your half race.

Iain - you and I know you train too fast most of the time!

Keith - well done, a good day 4 time.   Next time eat the veg first

Sofaboy - never mind, you did the right thing, just an off day.

Emmy - well done.  Lovley touch they sang happy birthday to you over the finish line.

Yes, desk cleared and tidy, still some paperwork to do but there always will be

Big G - how annoying, the announcement just at the start of the race is enough to completely throw all plans out the window.

I will calculate your paces later today.

Nasty frost today.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.