Shades Marathon Training

59,121 to 59,140 of 66,473 messages
11/02/2013 at 07:53

lol

i was, just not the peas. The rest of theveg was in the yorkie along with the gravy and beef. Compared to last year i have barely eaten. I WILL be on pizza when i get back

Someone come desnow the car as i dont fancy doing it

Only aches so far are stiff asnkles which will ease off soon enough BUT i do have a sore right shin which appeared with a few laps to go yesterday. As long as its not too bad driving will be fine.

11/02/2013 at 08:28

right 3 inches of snow removed from the car, quick pee then on the way home it is

nowt on travel pages referring to scotch corner sector, snake pass shut though as per usual but thats mancheser-sheffield crossing level

11/02/2013 at 08:36

Keith - well done!  I love pizza too.  I nearly wrote a letter of complaint to Dominos as they stopped doing their Full House pizza at my local shop!  It's a bit like the time I got a spiral in my bag of penna pasta, only worse!  I was outraged at that, I can tell you.  Sainsbury's just didn't take my complaint seriously!!   

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/465898/gallery/pasta.jpg?width=350

Shades - thanks for that.  I have calmed down now, and a PB is a PB...I just wish I had reacted differently at the start and set off at my planned place, but never mind.  Whilst running those first 2 or 3 miles I was telling my self to slow down and thinking "Shades won't be happy....!", but I ignored myself! 

Edited: 11/02/2013 at 08:37
11/02/2013 at 09:47
LOL! Big G!!
Well done on your PB. I see the race was won by one of our club members
You at Bideford half?
11/02/2013 at 09:50

So quadzilla, you go round & round a lake 7 odd times then repeat for 4 days ? ,I'd be mentally & physically wrecked after a day of that let alone 4. Very good consistent times as well, very impressive. Last thing I've wanted to do the day after a marathon is run another.

Mmmmmmm Pizza, Costco pepperoni

Big_G - Nightmare , not what you need at all can't believe Sainsbury's didn't do anything about it, and as for the Half nice one after a tricky start.

Calf feels a lot better, but haven't run on it yet! ,may head out tonight for an easy 5 and see whats what.

11/02/2013 at 09:56

on the evening after the VLM i will be celebrating (hopefully) with a large seafood pizza from our local. tuna, prawns, anchovies and a special order of double extra jalopenos. salty as hell and hotter than the surface of the sun. hmmm, tasty. 

11/02/2013 at 10:09

VR - yes, it was a great run by him.  Because of the nature of the course I saw him three times and it was great to see him in action.  I spoke briefly to him afterwards (I was a dripping mess...he was showered and changed already) and he was hoping to break the MV40 records for all the distances this year as he has all the Senior records already.  I don't know if he managed it yesterday, with the mix up with the distances.

Yes, my next event is Bideford Half at the start of March.  Have you done that one?  It's billed as another flat course but when I looked on Garmin Connect, it didn't look particularly flat.  I have a bet with myself; if I don't go off too quickly at that event, I'll treat myself to a large mixed grill and a pint or three afterwards....

11/02/2013 at 10:12
KingKenny wrote (see)

So quadzilla, you go round & round a lake 7 odd times then repeat for 4 days ? ,I'd be mentally & physically wrecked after a day of that let alone 4. Very good consistent times as well, very impressive. Last thing I've wanted to do the day after a marathon is run another.

It's actually not as bad as you think. The laps become predictable and you know what to expect and what areas are 'difficult' etc. We name parts of the course: goose poo path, dead heron way, pee corner. I hated the lake the first 2 times I ran it... but then on the weekend of the double - it turned around.

11/02/2013 at 13:11

physio at 4:30, knee feeling better from resting.. fingers crossed he is happy enough wtih me!

quadzilla sounds brutal

11/02/2013 at 13:21
Big G - I did Bideford half in 2011. It's my PB course. 1.47.23. Not sure if I could do that again. You are right, it's not completely flat!
11/02/2013 at 13:26
Good luck with the physio Bootsie.
The Quadzilla is not that bad. It's all in the head!
11/02/2013 at 13:33

Big G - Bideford is a good PB course, I think all local runners have done a PB there.   A course doesn't need to be pancake flat to be a PB course.

Trying to sort out your training paces, McMillan doesn't want to play anymore and I'm not happy with the calculations which have been changed to a lot faster.

So training paces as follows:-

Easy  9:30 to 10:00
Long 9:30 to 10:30
Tempo 7:45 to 8:00
Marathon pace 8:21

What do you think of those?

I need to trial the calculator I'm using with a few more guinea pigs to see if it's consistant with my training principles

11/02/2013 at 14:05
Shades - thanks a lot. I think the Easy, Long and Tempo look about right for me and I know I need to slow down on the Long runs especially. I do run quicker than Tempo at certain club sessions. IE for a recent 10x400m session (with 90secs recovery) I averaged 6:05 for the efforts and each was fairly consistent. I was totally spent afterwards though. Is it still ok to do these...I do enjoy them, to some extent.

I'm surprised the Marathon Pace is that quick though! As it stands, that pace seems a very long way off for me for a full marathon. I was thinking you would come back at around 9:00 and that would equate to 4hrs which I would genuinely be over the moon with. Maybe I'm underestimating myself somehow, but 8:21 does seem frightenly fast for me....
11/02/2013 at 14:25

those training paces are roughly what i had worked out for a 9:00 marathon pace, not 8:17.

i've got:

easy 9:30

long: 9:50

tempo: 7:45

marathon 9:00

so does this mean i've been training for a faster marathon pace than i'm currently aiming for? if it would get me a 3H38 marathon time, then sweet, but i can't see me getting anywhere NEAR that. my best 1/2 marathon time was 1H 45 and my best 10km was 45 min.

11/02/2013 at 14:42
Big congratulations Keith, you should be dead proud.

Big G, what a shambles! Must have tested your mental powers!

Emmy, looking forward to your race report.

Shades, I was imagining your voice saying slow done yesterday! I think I was having doubts re ever running a HM at less than 8mm so wanted a confidence boost. Realise a bit stupid.
11/02/2013 at 14:56

Hi Slowkoala  - The report can be found here.I didnt want to clog up Shades thread with my ramblings. Well done on the run!

@Shades - i'm looking for advice about a nutrition strategy for this weekend's race. Can you provide any ideas? Jam sandwiches are a big no-no for me!

11/02/2013 at 15:25

Emmy - I too am experimenting with food on LSRs.  I seem to have settled on homemade flapjack for now.  I cut it up into bite sized chunks and have it in a food bag in a pocket.  The gooier the better for me...if it's a bit drier it's harder to swallow it.  Following Shades Noddy's guide, I'm also toying with the idea of carrying a couple of dry tea cakes (rather than flapjack) cut into quarters.

I really struggle with this as well.  I think I've mentioned it before on here - I do tend to need a lot of water/fluid.  I have been trying to restrict myself, but even after yesterday's race (which was quite cold overall) I literally downed 3 cartons of orange juice and a 500ml bottle of water at the finish line (as well 3 2-finger kitkats), and it genuinely wasn't just because it was available...I really felt I needed it.  

It is a bit of a worry actually  I know I raced the half hard and I will be doing the marathon slower, but how am I going to get that level of fluid into me mid-way through a marathon on what will probably be a warmer day?  I'm definitely going to have to take liquid with me on the marathon - maybe even two bottles I think.

Edited: 11/02/2013 at 15:26
11/02/2013 at 15:28

@Big_G are you talking about eating while actually running the marathon… another thing I seem to have no idea about?! I couldn't imagine being able to do this, does everyone do it?

11/02/2013 at 15:38

Lucy - yes, that's what I'm talking about.  Please note, I'm no expert though!  

Gels are commonly used for LSRs by a lot of people but for me something like flapjack is preferable to gels which are a) sickly - I've tried most of them, and I know a lot of people get on fine with them but they're not for me, b) in my limited understanding they are mainly sugar, which you can get from other sources and c) they're expensive.  Also, I just loooove da flapjack 

11/02/2013 at 15:43
I don't! Used to eat Jaffa cakes. But I just have gels now simply because they are easy to carry. I just sip water at every other water station. It's all personnel and something to experiment with on your long training runs.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.