Shades Marathon Training

59,141 to 59,160 of 67,255 messages
11/02/2013 at 15:52

i mix 2 gels (homemade, but that shouldn't make any difference) into a 200 ml water bottle and that makes them really quite tasty and easy to drink. i take two of those on a 16 mile LSR and it's fine.

thinking of experimenting with jelly babies though, just to make things a little more interesting.

11/02/2013 at 16:00

VR - I have a 24 pack of UNOPENED Jaffa's here

leg still aches in the shin region but i shall have a closer inspection later on after a nice bath. I'm waiting for the cat to return from its first outing outdoors since before the quad.

Ah speaking of which she has returned lol

11/02/2013 at 16:17

Unopened jaffa cakes????

11/02/2013 at 16:19
Sofaboy, I prefer jelly babies to gels and they are good as you only need to grab one or two at a time plus no packet to open. But after trying them yesterday, would really recommend cliff's shot bloks. Bit pricey, come in packs of 6 but you can open them before your run and just keep them in your pocket. Really yummy!
11/02/2013 at 16:20

yes unopened jaffas

i didn't even eat all my hot cross buns

11/02/2013 at 16:40

Shot bloks are very good, think 3 blocks= 1 gel.

I'll usually carry a Gel & a pound coin on the LSR but rarely use them, just nice to know I can buy a drink/food if required. For up to 16miles I usually just head out the door before breakfast and just have a few gulps of water. Otherwise I'll leave an electrolyte drink/food by the car/front door and loop back once or twice and stretch and eat/drink. If running really easy then find this works.

I do have a small camelbak that I use for MTB'ing but never tried running with it.

11/02/2013 at 16:43

i too am unaware of such a thing as an unopened packet of jaffa cakes. in fact i am only passingly aquainted with the concept of a part eaten pack.

so what is the jelly baby count per mile?

11/02/2013 at 18:57

Hmmm, nutrition / hydration for the LSRs (and marathon too!!) - 

Interesting ideas here - I like Sofaboy's idea of Gels into water before you head out though - might try that.

I'm new to all this long running milarkey and have been taking Lucozade Sport drink out with me, plus 1 or 2 gels to take at 9 and 15 miles. just start sipping the drink after 15 mins (read somewhere about some adrenaline??? spike you can get incorrectly if you drink too soon in a run (old runner's tale?)) - and as the VLM will have Lucozade Sport and Lucozade Gels available I want to get used to those.

But I have accumulated a few different gels, from Supermarket deals and Mag subscriptions etc, and the Maxifuel Viperboost seemed OK, the Hi-5 ones are also fine, but the SIS one didn't go down well at all - nearly had to stop on route!! 

It may be a one off - not sure, maybe I downed it too quickly??? Since then, I've taken the gels very slowly  and all seems OK.

As for carrying sweets and other treats, as I'm a very sweaty beast, they'd have to be waterproof (sweatproof) otherwise I'd hydrate them!!  - maybe could keep them in an armband? 

But the gels do seem to work for me. Maybe when the weather warms up and I really sweat it out, I'll need additional salt tablets too - ??? - who knows?

Now the idea of running in sunshine - seems way off - would be nice though - 

Tim

11/02/2013 at 19:07

I have never tried jelly babies, used gels a few times and they really give you a massive burst when you need it. might try a few jelly babies on my next longish run and see how the energy stocks are replenished...

well as hard as it was to get out the door tonight, i am so glad i did. Despite the intermitint snow showers i had a fantastic 10.5 mile steady run. tried a new route and i  felt really good. So much so i added a bit onto my run cause i felt so good. managed the run in 1hr 16min so am really happy with that for now but need to be able to step it up and get the average down to below 7min/mile..some speed sessions this week i think..whoop... hope you all have not been affected with any snow..

11/02/2013 at 21:26

Aaaarrrrrggggghhhh.

I missed my LSR this weekend because I had to drive my wife to Bradford and back (in a day.. from Gatwick). I've eaten pizzas, cake and curry on Saturday, Sunday and today. I feel bloated and heavy - according to the scales i have actually put on 3lbs since last Wednesday! How is that even possible!?! And to top it all I seem to have a cold AGAIN! So as I said, Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhh!!!!

I had to go out and run at night today in the wind and cold. As you may know if you have read my other posts - i really dislike night running. The run was a real slog. I did 9 miles at an easy pace but my heart was not in it. This was more to the do with the minor cold and mostly the very bloated feeling i have right now. 

Going on a STRICT diet from tomorrow again. One more time.. Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!

11/02/2013 at 21:45

well said...onward and upward...

11/02/2013 at 21:45
Keith - are you feeling all right? An unopened pack of Jaffa cakes AND hot cross buns.. Would think that you're on a diet

@khani - maybe it's your body telling you to rest?
11/02/2013 at 22:05

Emmy - this was the first run I did since last Thursday.

Keith - epic effor there mate but unopened Jaffa? See the dr in the AM please

11/02/2013 at 22:14

Jaffa Cakes sound a good idea....!

Edited: 11/02/2013 at 22:14
11/02/2013 at 22:33

they remain unopened and i shall take them to work. I never said the hot cross buns were unopened however i had 7 out of 12 over the 4 days

i may even go for a run in the morning regardless of how much it hurts, well within reason. I can usually tell the difference between post marathon achyness and actual injury but not always.

12/02/2013 at 07:16

Big G - yes of course you can do the club sessions and at a faster pace if required, e.g. intervals.

& Sofaboy - TBH I would not expect a runner to achieve the marathon pace until you have more endurance training and/or marathons under your belt.   What the prediction shows is that you are capable of it achieving that time with the right training and conditions.

Emmy - of course you can place race reports on the thread, they are very welcome.   What race is it this weekend, your double utra?  

Big G - don't think the teacake is a good idea for during a run, they are not dense enough and will need a lot of water to wash them down.

Re fluids, are you fully hydrated when you start your run/race?

Lucy - it's a good idea to have something to boost the blood sugar, just a few sweets or a sports drink will do

Keith - try the recovery run, the shin might just be a general overuse and might ease.

Your jaffa cakes would be safe with me, yuk, I have to be starving to eat a jaffa cake.

Khanivore - 3lbs is nothing, don't starve yourself, just sensible eating and it'll be gone in a couple of days.   Sorry about the cold, hope that clears soon.

Chilly morning, but dry and no frost

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 07:17
12/02/2013 at 07:55

20:30:28 in 2012
17:46:30 in 2013

A small improvement then Not a single run was slower than the fastest in 2012 either. And to think i thought sub 18 would be tough too.

I shall not be doing it next year i dont think either. High time I tried for faster single marathon times as if i can go fastest on day 4 pretty comfortably and on the worst day weather wise i should really be capable of going faster than the 20 mins quicker my single PB is i guess.

12/02/2013 at 07:57

Oh no recovery run yet as i er opted to laze around in bed even though i was up early enough. There is time tonight between getting home from work and quiz night for a run bath and dinner

12/02/2013 at 08:05
SHADES wrote (see)

Emmy - of course you can place race reports on the thread, they are very welcome.   What race is it this weekend, your double utra?  

Yes - It's the London 50Km. Out for a little jog tonight if i can leave work on time.

Keith M Stuart wrote (see)

20:30:28 in 2012
17:46:30 in 2013

A small improvement then Not a single run was slower than the fastest in 2012 either. And to think i thought sub 18 would be tough too.

I shall not be doing it next year i dont think either. High time I tried for faster single marathon times as if i can go fastest on day 4 pretty comfortably and on the worst day weather wise i should really be capable of going faster than the 20 mins quicker my single PB is i guess.

That's a shame I was planning to do it next year! Well done on a cracking overall time!

12/02/2013 at 08:16

Hi Shades.  Yes, I do feel I'm fully hydrated before a long run.  I always have a pint of water on the go at work (I've done that for a few years actually) and on the morning of an LSR I have a pint of water with my breakfast - maybe I should look to increase this a bit?  Last week before the Half I feel I was even more careful to make sure I was fully hydrated throughout the week (i.e., I had no alcohol at all for the whole week).  My breakfast is usually shredded wheat with only a small amount of milk and a few sultanas, and a coffee.

I'm not sure what the reason is, but I've always needed a fair amount of water even as a kid, and I do sweat a lot.  I did get a test about a year ago as diabetes does run in my family, but that was all clear.

I know for the Half Marathon I was 12st10lb before the race and when I came back (after stuffing myself with kit kats, crisps and orange juice), I was 12st6lb....

Shades - I think you mentioned some salt tablets that you use but I've searched back a few pages but can't find your post now.  Could you remind me what it is you use?

There's some food for thought there on that perspective marathon pace.  I really was not expecting that.  It's something to work towards in the longer term, but I wonder if I should consider 9:00 or 9:15 as a marathon pace target this time around?  What do you think?

Well done Keith on a cracking time!

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 08:19
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.