Shades Marathon Training

59,221 to 59,240 of 67,839 messages
13/02/2013 at 22:33

I did the hill session, and it was tough but it was a good session.   I should have taken my HR strap, but below is the elevation with the first 1.5 miles or so being a warmup.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/465898/gallery/img_0205.jpg?width=350

14/02/2013 at 07:23

Emmy - you just need to tick over inbetween races, recovery runs followed by easy runs until you feel 100% again.   What's the race after the 50km?

I'm woefully unprepared for my double marathon at the weekend but I'm not concerned.  I never normally race this early in the year so I'm hoping to just enjoy the weekend.

KingKenny - don't cycle unless that is something you normally do, just rest and walking will be fine.

Iain - eek!! both sound like tough sessions. Personally I'd go for the 2nd option, a good test of pace control.

Sofaboy - I'm so pleased you had a good run  and confidence is restored.

Sleaver - your long run pace should be at least 60 secs per mile slower than your marathon pace, and preferably slower than that.   If you train at marathon pace by race day there is nothing left in the tank.   These threads are littered with very unhappy runners that ran their long runs faster than their marathons.

Slowkoala - that's not good re the blisters. If it happens in your race we'll need to sort that before marathon day.

Short run for me today to test a new pair of shoes for Saturday's marathon.  Suddenly realised last night that for 2 races I'd need 2 pairs of race shoes and I only have one pair on the go at the moment.

14/02/2013 at 07:42
Another pair of shoes Shades??!!

Good luck for your double.
14/02/2013 at 07:51
Sofaboy wrote (see)

well that was exactly what i needed after sunday's abortive 18 mile LSR (struggled with 10min pace, blew out after 7 miles, came home feeling wretched).

10 mile MWLR, kept to my 10min slow pace which felt like a nice stroll (how different to sunday, same pace!!) and then caned the last 7 miles at an 8:27 average. i know i should be sticking to the schedule but i was feeling great and kind of needed the pick me up. the thing was that even at that pace i felf like i could have done a few more miles.

wierd how your mood can change so much from one run to the next. i suppose as you get more experienced you get used to these fluctuations in performance, but as a newbie it's all very strange.

SHADES wrote (see)

Emmy - you just need to tick over inbetween races, recovery runs followed by easy runs until you feel 100% again.   What's the race after the 50km?

I'm woefully unprepared for my double marathon at the weekend but I'm not concerned.  I never normally race this early in the year so I'm hoping to just enjoy the weekend.

KingKenny - don't cycle unless that is something you normally do, just rest and walking will be fine.

Iain - eek!! both sound like tough sessions. Personally I'd go for the 2nd option, a good test of pace control.

Sofaboy - I'm so pleased you had a good run  and confidence is restored.

Sleaver - your long run pace should be at least 60 secs per mile slower than your marathon pace, and preferably slower than that.   If you train at marathon pace by race day there is nothing left in the tank.   These threads are littered with very unhappy runners that ran their long runs faster than their marathons.

Slowkoala - that's not good re the blisters. If it happens in your race we'll need to sort that before marathon day.

Short run for me today to test a new pair of shoes for Saturday's marathon.  Suddenly realised last night that for 2 races I'd need 2 pairs of race shoes and I only have one pair on the go at the moment.

Hi Shades - I was thinking of doing some tempo sessions but i'm worried about killing my legs.

Next race after this 50km is Malta Marathon.... next weekend 

@VR - I want to be the first to tell you.... I'm doing quadzilla 2014.

14/02/2013 at 08:03

I am definatly NOT doing the 2014 Zilla 2015 however is another matter

14/02/2013 at 08:21

Slowkoala - yes, but now I only have two pairs suitable for racing, I've got a few doubles to do this Spring so need 2 pairs.

Keith - do you use different shoes each day when running the Quad?

Emmy - there is nothing to be gained by trying to do tempo runs when you're recovering/preparing from marathons close together..

VR and I have a 40 mile ultra on the 23rd

Today I did my first run of the year returning on the back roads as I could just see the road, scared the traffic a bit though but such a joy to get off the main roads

14/02/2013 at 08:39

40 miles? All in one go? 

I guess that i'm trying to work out what to do during the race weeks. After Malta there are no marathons planned until 6th April (Paris). I have 1 10miler on 3rd March and I was planning on trying to race it at Paris Race Pace (10.13mm).

I'm trying to work out which shoes to use for the london ultra this weekend. They're saying: road and trail are acceptable but be aware of the weather conditions. I'm not sure about London and there's nothing indicated on the website. I'm hoping it wont be too muddy!

14/02/2013 at 09:17

Yes! all in one go! On a cycle path in Wales. I think i'm going to get bored!

Emmy - Good girl! You can do it! The Quad that is and this weekend. Good luck. perhaps find out from past race reports what other folk wore on their feet? 

I used different trainers for the 2 Quads I did. It does help.

14/02/2013 at 09:30

Thanks VR - i'm definitely going to be asking for help nearer the time for advice! I think the doubles and triples this year will really help prepare my legs.

40 miles in wales?... you're both crazy

14/02/2013 at 13:29

Emmy - you need those weeks for training especially as you want to knock out a PB or two

14/02/2013 at 17:38
I got a 5 miler this afternoon. It was nice as it was the first time in a few weeks that I went out wearing just one upper layer....it was relatively warm.

I'm out for a meal and a few drinks this evening, so it's a rest day tomorrow and then aiming for 18 on the weekend....
14/02/2013 at 19:06

yeah i used 2 pairs alternating them each day, i was changing them immediatly post race before going into the pub tio avoid dragging mud everywhere

One pair is over 550 and the other is on erm 360. Getting a new pair on saturday though.

14/02/2013 at 20:25
Keith M Stuart wrote (see)

I am definatly NOT doing the 2014 Zilla 2015 however is another matter

I was planning on having an eating session with you.... We'll have to do it at an upcoming Enigma instead!

14/02/2013 at 20:41

Signed up for only the summer triple crown so far. Still got a full golden ticket to use though and i'm yet to plan my years racing.

15/02/2013 at 05:43

Keith - and was that your Brooks GTS shoes that you use for racing?

Packing etc this morning, off at about 9am, back on line Monday evening or maybe Tuesday morning

Edited: 15/02/2013 at 05:43
15/02/2013 at 08:05

the lower mileage pair is actually trance but essentially yes as i have only ever used Brooks GTS the last several years. God knows what i'll get on saturday though NB equivalents would be useful as the factory is kinda close to me after all

I do use my old ones for when i go down muddy routes or on the rare muddy race asthen its so simple to just throw them out afterwards instead of weashing them

15/02/2013 at 12:28

looking forward to sunday, weather looks good.. knee still niggling but physio says good to go so i'm going!!

I want new shoes! wedding saving is very inconvenient

15/02/2013 at 12:59

i can do royal parks half this year if i want as i got a spot via the ballot but i need to register by 5.30pm today. Thing is it's £46! Is it worth it for a half? Seems a bit steep - how much are they normally? Is there something really special about it which means that i should do it?

15/02/2013 at 13:16
Khanivore wrote (see)

i can do royal parks half this year if i want as i got a spot via the ballot but i need to register by 5.30pm today. Thing is it's £46! Is it worth it for a half? Seems a bit steep - how much are they normally? Is there something really special about it which means that i should do it?

I did the Royal Parks this year and it was nothing special for me... in fact I really didnt think it was worth the money. The entire route is lovely but last year - everyone was wearing ipods and it was packed in general so I didnt like it. Noone to talk to and you were all hemmed in like cattle for the first 5 miles.

The route is nice and iconic (you run through the parks) but it's a tad boring. I was also annoyed last year that there were a lot of people cheating (going under the barrier from 7-10 miles) and the marshals didnt do anything to stop it.

It was one to say: I've done it but i'll not do it again. The medal is pretty cool (it's made from wood from the royal park) but its not very heavy.

I guess the main question is: What are YOU looking for in a half marathon?

15/02/2013 at 13:29

i'm kind of tempted by the Gaza marathon. something a little different. i might give it some thought depending on how the VLM goes in april.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.