Shades Marathon Training

59,241 to 59,260 of 65,057 messages
15/02/2013 at 13:16
Khanivore wrote (see)

i can do royal parks half this year if i want as i got a spot via the ballot but i need to register by 5.30pm today. Thing is it's £46! Is it worth it for a half? Seems a bit steep - how much are they normally? Is there something really special about it which means that i should do it?

I did the Royal Parks this year and it was nothing special for me... in fact I really didnt think it was worth the money. The entire route is lovely but last year - everyone was wearing ipods and it was packed in general so I didnt like it. Noone to talk to and you were all hemmed in like cattle for the first 5 miles.

The route is nice and iconic (you run through the parks) but it's a tad boring. I was also annoyed last year that there were a lot of people cheating (going under the barrier from 7-10 miles) and the marshals didnt do anything to stop it.

It was one to say: I've done it but i'll not do it again. The medal is pretty cool (it's made from wood from the royal park) but its not very heavy.

I guess the main question is: What are YOU looking for in a half marathon?

15/02/2013 at 13:29

i'm kind of tempted by the Gaza marathon. something a little different. i might give it some thought depending on how the VLM goes in april.

15/02/2013 at 14:41
Khanivore, I didn't get a place in the Royal Parks HM but not sure I would have bought the place anyway (not sour grapes, honnest!) Nearly 50 quid seems a lot for a HM (more than VLM) and there is a local 10k that I'd like to do the previous week (for 12 pounds!) But if it's local to you, it would be fun to do and the travel costs being minimal might make the 50 quid seem not so bad.
15/02/2013 at 15:09

Lot of money for a half! , medal is nice though.

I have to resist the temptation to run this weekend, calf feels a lot better for the rest. I couldn't do a 1 legged squat on it a few days ago without a little discomfort and can now get quite a way down before feeling a very very slight twinge.

Good luck with all your weekend runs / races.

15/02/2013 at 15:51
Urgent!!! I just found out I won two spots at the Silverstone half marathon on 3rd March. Anyone fancy joining me there? Need to let lucozade know by 5pm!
15/02/2013 at 16:01

would in a heart beat but running ballycotton 10 that day! enjoy though and well done

15/02/2013 at 16:02

i'm already in. i'll see you there.

15/02/2013 at 16:12

Hi Khani - what a nice offer!! I'm already running a 10 miler on that day But have a great day

15/02/2013 at 16:18

Cool - Sofaboy - we should meet up there!

15/02/2013 at 16:24

Blimey, I got Brighton Half, running workshop with Sam Murphy, and then Silverstone half all on consecutive weekends I am going to have to carefully manage the wife

15/02/2013 at 16:33

what sort of time are you aiming for? i was initially thinking of just running it as a race and attempting to break my PB of 1:45.

but on further consideration, i think that the effort required to beat that time would at the very least blow out my training for a few days and probably increase the risk of injuring myself. so i'm going to run it as the first half of the VLM. try to keep to 9:00 miles, refuel as expected etc and just see how it goes.

15/02/2013 at 16:37

I did my last half at a pace of 8:38 but due to injuries and time off i am much less fit than that now. I am aiming for a 9:30 min/mile pace this weekend at Brighton. If that goes ok I will go for 9:00 min/mile at Silverstone.

15/02/2013 at 16:58

perfect. well, here's hoping all goes well at brighton.

15/02/2013 at 16:59
I'm going for a PB at Brighton as it's my first half I'm in the blue start - optimistic but had a slow pen when I did BUPA 10k and spent first 2 miles trying to catch up. This time I will be the one people are weaving past.

Silverstone sounds good but I want to squeeze in some longer runs over the next couple of weeks and have just registered for the Finchley 20 in March too.
15/02/2013 at 18:22

Emmy - Why am i having second thoughts on Quad for 2014

Oopsy all entered i shall see you there then.

Edited: 15/02/2013 at 19:12
15/02/2013 at 20:15

Keiith - Emmy - MAD!  

Fan-bloody-tastic. Sister in law is visiting because she has some work to do down south and is staying at ours. She has the worst cold i have ever seen and is sneezing all over the place. I'm just recovering from a months worth of colds and coughs and now THIS. Really unhappy about it.

15/02/2013 at 20:27

lol, i've been known to write on the door to my lab sick buggers keep out in the past.

15/02/2013 at 20:30

I'm holed up in my home office. Take deep breaths when i have to get near her like that's going to help!

16/02/2013 at 07:57

Khani - fab offer for Silverstone, would love to do that but am much too far away

Lol re your sister in law.. wrap a scarf round your face!

Good luck all of you who are doing Brighton this weekend, am looking forward to hearing your reports!

16/02/2013 at 09:06
Khanivore, your post made me smile! Keep washing your hands and maybe make her wear a mask? Also make sure she bins all her dirty tissues.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.