Shades Marathon Training

59,261 to 59,280 of 67,243 messages
16/02/2013 at 15:01

Interesting

Did park run today and finished a little slower than last time i did it which was fair enough after last weeks efforts BUT i felt worse post park run than post quad.....

Still 25:12 isn't to bad albeit there was nothing that would have made my legs go any faster today. Heck i barely finished in front of a 14 year old girl.....

16/02/2013 at 17:10
On way to Brighton now. V excited might do a Mo and just run half of it for training!!
16/02/2013 at 17:18
Ha! Ha! slowkoala!!

Whoever made that descion for Mo to run half the VLM course wants their head testing! Never heard of anything more ridiculous.

Good luck for Brighton and anyone else racing. I'm racing a ten miler in Plymouth. Yuk!
16/02/2013 at 17:23

cheers! getting nervous about tomorrow but only cause knee is a bit niggly and its been a long time since last race!! excited though.. bring it on! might not be PB but hey ho!

16/02/2013 at 19:24
Tim let's meet up in Brighton! I'll pm you my mobile number.

I can get a train that arrives at 7:10 or at 8:00. I wonder if arriving at 8:00 is cutting it too fine though. They want runners to head to pens at 8:30 although race doesn't start until 9:00am.

The earlier train involves setting off really early

Wish I had got a park and ride ticket now.
16/02/2013 at 19:25
Ah I can't message you for some reason. There is no option for it on your profile.
17/02/2013 at 10:21

its late but good luck for everyone doing the brighton half today...going out for my longest run todate...15miles...a little daunting specially since i did 10 miles yesterday..going to need to find a belt for water bottles since hydration is an issue on longer runs...

17/02/2013 at 15:11

i hope it went well for all you brighton people.

did an 18.3 mile LSR today. i kept to the appropriate pace of 9:50 which was no problem and i was fine with my energy levels but my feet and calfs started to hurt after about 14. i was aiming for 20 but needed to stop at the pub on the way back into my village for a loo stop and just couldn't get going again. after stopping, my feet were absolutely killing me. i slowly walked home and now have seriously achy feet and legs.

i think those last 6 miles are going to be a killer.

17/02/2013 at 15:13
Hope everyone else enjoyed Brighton today. Couldn't have asked for better weather, Brighton looked beautiful in full sunshine (with little wind). Completed in 1:35 and 22s, v pleased!
17/02/2013 at 15:17

good job, i'd love a 1:35 time.

17/02/2013 at 16:08

Ran the Portsmouth Coastal Half today, a bit dissapointed wih a 1.48, felt like it could have been better. Felt I'd prepared well, but it was still a PB for me, (best before was 1.50). 

Average 8.18 per mile- will analyse the Garmin data later, some muddy parts in the park, and along some of the coastal sandy stretches, but of the 4 HMs I've run, this was the poorest organised. Just an observation as it didn't realy affect my race, but there was no announcer at the start (matters little, but always a nice touch), no mileage markers that I saw (only one at 13 mile (woo hoo!!) - no woriies for me as I had a Garmin, but some might have wanted these) and I had to do some pushchair dodging along the seafront as there were very few marshalls and tourists weren't really aware there was a race going on. - mobile chicanes 

It might have been fine for the front runners as I know there was at least one lead marshall on a bike. - as I say, no biggy, but its the worst of the few that I've done, maybe I should have gotten into Brighton?? 

Nice running FastKoala 

Tim

17/02/2013 at 16:22

wow nice running slowkoala and rattler. The weather has been fairly good to us this week...

Went out for a LSR today and i felt the importance of proper nutrition as i skipped dinner last night and really paid for it today. 8 miles in and i was ready to quit running on empty, thankfully i had a gel with me which helped me push through the final 6.3 miles in total 15.3 miles in 2hrs so not too bad..Training next week will be interesting as we are off to eurodisney for the week. I think im more excited then the kids.

17/02/2013 at 17:12

Lovely meeting Khanivore today! great run, not a PB for me but just a great run finished in 1 hr 57

17/02/2013 at 17:24

Today I ran the Brighton Half Marathon! In summary I overslept and almost never made it, stuffed up my pacing so finished in about the same time as my last half marathon (but had to work much harder for it), and I was beaten to the finish line by a man in a pink onesie bunny rabbit outfit Read my race report at: http://ninjakhan.co.uk/2013/02/17/brighton-half-marathon/

Bootise it was absolutely fantastic meeting you too Thanks for making the time for it! I was alone and so seeing a friendly face really topped off what was a fantastic day all round! Wonderful to meet someone so enthusiastic about running too - i don't have any runners in my circle of friends!

If you don't want to read the report the summary of it is that I finished about a minute slower than in Gosport back in November. However, since I have been plagued with injuries and colds I am super happy with this result. I did mess up my pacing in magnificent fashion so this was HARD work! My finish time was 01:54:14. 

Next race is Silverstone Half Marathon in two weeks. 

Well done Rattler and Fastkoala. Fantastic times! Rattler the organisation at Brighton was brilliant. There were areas of congestion but I got lucky and managed to avoid them. However, there was never an issue with people crossing the road etc and there was great support the entire length of the course. Highly recommended. I'll be back for more!

17/02/2013 at 17:45

Well done Rattler an the Brighton crew - good running all round.

I ran the Kinloss to Lossiemouth Half Marathon today and bagged myself a stonking new PB.  Finished in 1:42:26 according to my watch (although the course did measure a fraction short, also according to my watch, at 13.02 miles). Delighted with that as my last PB was in 2008 when I did 1:47:12 following Shades plan for my first marathon.

Race report as follows:

Arrived in Lossiemouth to the perfect day - sunshine, very little wind, and mild temperatures of around 9C. For us up North that's positively summer so there was no thought required - shorts and vest all the way.

Buses left to take us along to Kinloss, driving the route that we would then run. This made me wonder about the course as it is reputed to be fast and flat. It's most certainly not hilly, but here are some minor undulations here and there, taking in a good bit of the Moray Marathon course which I'm familiar with.

Left Kinloss with the decision made to try my hardest for a 1:45 time. It was a fast start and I wondered if there was something wrong with my watch as it said I was running around 7:20 pace (but feeling quite happy); common sense prevailed though and I slowed down, clocking up the first mile in 7:51. Then fell into a nice pace and ran 7:58, 7:55, 7:55, 8:02, 8:07, 7:46 (not quite sure why I got faster here - think this must have been after the up to Burghead, short and sharp, it was then a gentle flat section which was rather enjoyable), 7:54, 8:05, 8:00, taking me to 10 miles.

Somewhere around the 9 or 10 mile there was another up at which point some folks around me began walking. I was feeling the pace a little but still breathing well and happy enough. Mile 11 saw the beginning of a slight descent towards Lossie so picked up the pace again to do 7:48, then feeling good I decided to push on for miles 12 and 13 to see what I could do (7:28, 7:29) and thoroughly enjoyed the feeling of picking people off as I went, nobody having the energy to come with me.

Totally delighted with my time as I've said, and looking forward to continuing my training towards Paris knowing that it's going well. Thanks Shades for all your help with programmes etc!!!

17/02/2013 at 18:23

Clag - brilliant! That's a hell of a time there mate! You must be really proud of yourself. 

17/02/2013 at 20:26

Race report for Brighton:

Arrived in Brighton the night before as thankfully stayed with friends who live a mile from the start. Only got about 4 hours sleep (nerves+excitement+different bed+child &OH in room who couldn't sleep) but felt OK in the morning. Got a lift to the start which was handy as didn't have to use the baggage system. Found my pen half an hour before the start (didn't wam up). Turned my iPod on to loud (sorry Shades). When race started, took about half a mile to find the right pace, which was about 7:15 and felt quite comfortable. Brighton looked so beautiful with clear blue skies and little wind. Started to not feel so comfortable around 6 miles and at one point I wished I was doing a 10K race. Dug in though and it helped that the course was quite flat. Weirdly, looking at my splits, my fastest mile was mile 7 (7:02), so despite the discomfort, didn't seem to affect my pace. The rather straight course (along the seafront and back) was fast but hard to look for landmarks, since all I could see was sea! Started to enjoy it and the miles seemed to pass quickly after mile 7 when I started to wish it was a 10 mile race. At mile 8 I saw my friends and family and threw my gloves at them. In the last few miles there was a slight sea breeze which I really needed as was starting to get quite hot. The last 3 miles were tough (mile 12 was my slowest: 7:23) but speeded up in the last mile and really liked the placards they had put up counting down the metres. Finished in 1:35:22, a PB as my first half

Lessons learnt:

1. Not too worry if I don't get enough sleep 

2. Wear fewer clothes/layers next time as get hotter in races vs. training

3. Someone running in front of me had a T-Shirt which on the back said - Pain is just weakness leaving your body. Not sure if this is true but it helped!

4. I don't usually enjoy Beyonce's 'All the single ladies' but it's a great pick-me-up track.

Well done to Khani & Bootsie and to Rattler and Clag on your halves. A lovely day to be beside the seaside.

17/02/2013 at 20:46
Fastkoala excellent report. You are stunningly fast. I hope I can get to these kind of speeds over the next year or two! Brilliant performance.
17/02/2013 at 20:56
Khani, I take it that it's too late for me to say yes to Silverstone?
17/02/2013 at 21:16
Just read your race report Khani. Great report - the start really made me smile! That's my worst nightmare sleeping through my alarm but I usually am so scared of doing this that I wake up an hour before the alarm! Think you owe your twin a nice treat
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.