Shades Marathon Training

59,301 to 59,320 of 66,422 messages
19/02/2013 at 09:56

Shades - well done on your double marathon! Have had a look at that link and it looks absolutely beautiful... will be scouring ryanair for (hopefully) affordable flight prices next year.. can always dream! When I last looked, August is only 5 months away.. roughly a marathon a week then to fit 18 in ????!!! Sometimes there are no words...

Am continuing with plan this week so will do a 10k run and give you times.. have a 21k race in 2 weeks and would like your advice on what sort of pace to go for with the aim of doing about 1h45.. (using NEW garmin she says smugly!)

19/02/2013 at 10:01

1H45 would be bang on 5:00 kms or 8:00 miles. assuming you do even splits.

19/02/2013 at 10:36

morning all.. coughing and spluttering here with a cold.. what kind of fun training can I do when feeling run down with this cold, without making it worse

19/02/2013 at 10:41

Just rest bootsie, you dont want to be training when not well.

Great race reports well done all,  that looks a fantastic event Shades and well done on the double

19/02/2013 at 10:49

Shades that course is stunning.  One of my friends got married in dunmore house hotel which is near there couple of years ago.  WE used to go to Clon a lot when we were younger and its very beautiful!

19/02/2013 at 13:31

Emmy - I feel fine, legs are OK...I can't stop eating though

Sofaboy - it's more likely then as it wasn't cold that your feet swelled a little and your shoes became too tight.   Looser laces or alternative lacing, I use lock lacing on a couple of pairs of shoes that I have.   My race shoes have elasticated laces (the laces with the bobbly bits) and I find those great.

mamafox - re pace, excactly as Sofaboy says, aim for even pacing but of course if you feel you can then speed up in the last mile!

bootsie - S3200H is right, no training at all as it could make your cold worse.   A gentle walk in the fresh air might make you feel a bit better.

We ran past Dunmore House Hotel, it looks lovely, is closed for February I think.

We also ran past Castlefreke castle, now partially restored, very beautiful

19/02/2013 at 13:37

Hi Shades - that sounds familiar 

Race report from London 50km is here for anyone that is interested. A very hard day at the office. Made worse by the news yesterday that i'm intollerant to white sugar and cows milk. Does anyone know what I can use instead?

19/02/2013 at 15:11

Slightly later than others, but just getting around to posting my time from Brighton on Sunday.

I was in two minds over how to run it, but late Saturday night I decided to try and crack 1h40 as the 5 mile tempo I did last Thursday felt comfortable at that pace.

The first km was slower than needed but then that's to be expected, but then my km splits were between 4:35 and 4:45 and although my legs were starting to feel it, at 10 miles I thought I could carry on at that pace. Then the turn at mile 10 came and the headwind suddenly took it out of me and my splits for the next 3 or 4 km's were around 4:50-4:55.

Last km was faster and I finished in 1:40:34. Bit disappointed that I went over by 34 seconds but still pleased as it was a PB by over 3 minutes.

So Shades, going back to the previous question, what should my training times be? I'd be interested to know what they are for the above time, but I'm still thinking I need to respect the distance as it's my first and maybe aim for just sub four hours if thats possible so those times would be good to.

19/02/2013 at 15:51
Very good running going in in here!
Welcome back Shades and glad you had a good time at your second home

Emmy - how did you find out about your intolerances?
Stevia is a natural sugar from a plant you might be able to use. ( I think it's called that) and as for cows milk, there's lots of alternatives like soya milk and others.
19/02/2013 at 15:59

Well done on the double shades, 'just' 18 to go wow.

Nice report Emmy, 3km extra as well & sorting out some yooovs along the way. I've not got to the point where I want to go further than 26.2 (yet)!

Good time that sleaver, you'll have that 1:40 next time.

19/02/2013 at 16:15

Brilliant - thank you Shades and Sofaboy for the pacing advice.. and well done Sleaver!

19/02/2013 at 16:29
@VR - I found that when I eat certain foods my throat feels tighter or my stomach feels bad but always thought it was something else. They did an electromagnet test as opposed to blood as its more reliable apparently.

I've seen some alternatives to sugar like aguave syrup... We can't get stevia sugar here. The biggest issue for me is 'normal' food. Sugar is in EVERYTHING from tomato sauces to veggie burgers(!). I thought that my intolerance to sugar could be bigger after the weekend where I was guzzling gels and haribo but apparently it doesn't make a difference,

@kingkenny - I didn't want to do anymore than 50km - I can assure you I think that the yoofs along the way were mortally scared of me - the minute they saw us catching them up; they quickly cycled on!

Well done Sleaver!
19/02/2013 at 17:22
Shades, I can't stop eating either and have done less mileage in the last week than usual. Green and Blacks milk choc with sea salt has never tasted so good Thanks for advise re pacing. The marathon seems like a completely different beast to shorter distances and I really don't want to collapse at 20 miles. Going for a GFA time seems a big enough challenge.

Emmy, sorry to hear about your food intolerances. Do you need to avoid all white sugar or just cut down? It's just that everyone I have known go for a food intolerance test get told they are intolerant to one or more of milk, gluten, sugar, alcohol or caffeine but no one ever seems to do as they are told! But your test sounds more reliable than the blood ones. Maybe a trip to your local health food shop would be useful as they might be able to advise on suitable alternatives. I quite like soya milk and buy it sometimes. Hope there are some sugar free chocolate alternatives you can get hold of.

Sleazer, well done on the Brighton PB. The 34 secs will be something to knock off next time.
19/02/2013 at 18:02
Hi slowkoala - thanks for the tip. I already use soya milk with my porridge - it's just getting used to it in tea!

He said 100% no go for 3 months and then a review. I'm trying to work out if I start it gradually or do it from today and risk bonking at mile 22 on Sunday!
19/02/2013 at 18:31
Hope you manage to find suitable alternatives Emmy

Really enjoyed tonight's run. Set of to do 7 miles with 6x100 strides. Mile one warmed up started first stride and it lasted for 6 miles at 7.30 average pace and felt great
19/02/2013 at 20:24

Emmy, I have never got used to soya in tea but everything else is good.. unsweetened is best for tea and omlettes!!

buried under a duvet with lots of cold and flu stuff.. bored!

19/02/2013 at 22:04

Emmy sorry to hear about your food intolerance issues Hope you get them sorted. 

Shades - double marathon? Wow! Amazing.

I did a 5 mile faster pace run this morning and felt fine. Had a sports massage right after so legs are feeling fab. Was planning to go out for a 10 miler in the morning but it looks like my sister in laws cold has spread around the house including to me. Thanks sister in law - not... Oh well - it is what it is. 

19/02/2013 at 22:54

Welcome back Shades - and well done . Looks like a beautiful place. What was the weather like?

Fantastic racing from everybody over the weekend . Looking good for marathons. I love reading the race reports too .

Did London Ultra on Sunday and was delighted to meet up with Emmy . Can't believe she travels all the way from Belgium, when I'm such a woose if I have to travel more than an hour or so . Weather was kind - even got too hot at one point. Not so muddy as I thought it might be, so shoes stayed reasonably clean. Despite doing it last year I still managed to go slightly off track twice, but mostly it was well marked. Slightly longer time than last year (and it felt tougher), heel hurt a bit towards the end, but overall was pleased with how things went. Just wish I could get a coffee at the end though .

Still undecided about next Sunday's race as I still feel rather unfit with everything being so much effort.

20/02/2013 at 07:25

Sleaver - 3 mins is a great PB, well done.  I will do your paces later today

Emmy - that's not good news re the sugar or milk.   Was this at hospital/docs?   I think as you need your fuel (sugars) for running distance I think you should consult a sports nutritionist.  

I know a lot of folks been told they are intolerant to lots of different foods and those results were flawed and some not explained correctly.   Worse case was one I coached and had been told not to eat dairy and her bone scan at the age of 25 was the same as a 75 year old.  Now happily back on dairy and fit and healthly.

slowkoala - I think that's a wise sensible desicion to aim for GFA time

Khanivore - bad news on the cold, but good news that you've recovered well.

mowser - weather at Clonakilty was about 10 degrees each day.   It's an area prone to strong winds, Sat wasn't too bad as a South wind, still strong enough to slow my time by 10mins or so.  Sunday was windier and much harder but only a fraction colder, still had to wear full winter gear though.

Bit worried about my race this Saturday, forecast is still for very cold, with NE winds and high wind chill factor, probably too cold for me, will decide later in the week.   Means I will have to find another marathon, which I think I can do.

Why no coffee at the end of the race?

What race are you doing this weekend?

Edited: 20/02/2013 at 07:26
20/02/2013 at 08:32
Morning Shades,

They said for definite cow milk and white sugar. I'm going to phone him today and ask for more clarification about the sugars. He's a well known nutritionist here. I'm using soya milk and getting calcium from other food sources but the sugars worries me,

As Mowser mentioned - at the end they had showers but no coffee/tea/food. You were given a bottle of water in your race pack and that was it. Mowser may have got lost twice but she still beat me by a hefty margin!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.