Shades Marathon Training

59,321 to 59,340 of 66,427 messages
20/02/2013 at 09:42

thats a shame emmy!! love coffee and cake at the end!

white sugar will be tough.. i had that before and used fruit sugar instead

20/02/2013 at 10:19

Early night and pre-emptive strike with lemsip last night and my body seems to have fought back! No signs of a cold this morning. Off for a gentle mwlr.

Emmy I would get a second opinion to be honest. There is no harm in it and if you are going to make such a big change then it would be good to have two people independantly come to the same conclusion imho.

Fastkoala - i'm going to run 9 min/miles at Silverstone too i've decided. I want to know how I feel at the end of the half marathon at that pace. Maybe I can do it in the Marathon too? Who knows! Won't know until I test it

20/02/2013 at 10:44
Shades, hope the weather clears up for you this weekend. Cold plus strong winds doesn't sound good.

Khani, glad you're feeling better. My thighs are still a little sore from Sunday but managed a slow 3 miles last night. Can't get out today as kids off but might go out tonight. My next race is the Finchley 20 on March 17th. Not sure whether to treat as a long run or to use it as an opportunity to try out marathon pace? Shades, is this too long and to near to London for marathon pace? A guy at my club says he always races it and goes at a faster than marathon pace but he has quite a few marathons under his belt.
20/02/2013 at 12:39

Cold I can handle (I wear base layers) but I find wind really demorolising. Feels like swimming upstream. 

Did a slow 10 mile plod and feel fantastic. I put it down to the sports massage i had yesterday after my 5 mile run  

My first two pairs of running shoes were size 10.5. I bought these Asica Kayano's in size 10. The outter 3 toes on my right foot have felt cramped and squashed in these shoes on both the half marathon and in my run today Looks like I might have blown £100 on the wrong size shoes. Argh.

20/02/2013 at 13:14

Emmy - just read your race report.   A 50km is indeed an ultra and the first distance recognised officially as an ultra (for record purposes).    You had a tough day, I would guess at the end your body needed some sugar.

Can you use honey?    You can buy it in in tubes now and I've seen honey gels but don't know if they contain other sugars.

I still think you need to consult a sports nutritionist, try mailing Molly and see if she can pass on the contact details of hers.

Slowkoala - if you're feeling good race the 20 miler, either at MP or faster.  You have 4 or 5 weeks to recover before VLM.

Khanivore - bad luck on the shoes, maybe try thinner socks and use them for shorter runs.  

20/02/2013 at 13:17
Shades they are fine for runs up to half marathon I just wouldn't want to rely on them for longer runs so definitely not the end of the world.
20/02/2013 at 13:21

Sleaver - training paces:-

Easy 9:00 to 9:30
Long 9:00 to 10:00
Tempo 7:15 to 7:30
Marathon Pace 7:54 which equates to 3 hour 26 mins

20/02/2013 at 13:47

Shades, could you work out my paces for me. i used the formula on your level 2 spread sheet but i want to see what you think they should be given that i've only been running for 8 months and this will be my first marathon. not even sure if i should be using level 2 or not really

i'm a 36 year old bloke, BMI of 21, don't smoke, drink a bit, eat fairly sensibly and am working from a reasonably fit base level.

10KM PB is 45:53

1/2 PB (only one) was 1.45:58

20/02/2013 at 16:42

hello! i have indeed been contacted by Emmy about nutrition.

After the shock of my mum dying, I'm back running again, not much and not long distances but I'm out there! I've got Rome marathon 3 weeks on Sunday and it won't be enjoyable as my longest run is 7 miles. I'll just set out at a slow pace and try and hang on for as possible and walk the odd bit too. Any newcomers DO NOT do what I'm doing.

I've also put in for the Manchester marathon at the end of April if anyone is doing that, should be nice and flat, then I'm almost afraid to say it but I'm intending doing a 100k at the end of May (but this is the 3rd time I've entered and I've never got to the start line). Then of course Berlin!

Hope everyone is well and it's not too chilly for you. It's around 2°C  here now.

20/02/2013 at 16:44

((((((Molly))))))))) take care of you xx

20/02/2013 at 18:17
I think this thread should be renamed to: "Shades hardcore list of maniacs" we have Mowser, Molly and VR running lots and generally being inspirations to the rest of us!

((Molly)) thanks for your advice. I'm going it reach out to her tonight and see what she says.
20/02/2013 at 18:21

Who ordered that wind.... Bloody cold in that even walking home in multiple layers

Minorly achy calf this morning so thats a good enough excuse to skip going out tonight i think Not decided whether i shall do a local 10 mile race on sunday or not and probably wont until saturday night. Earlyish night i think then perhaps out before work. Be colder than now but less wind which is better as far as i am concerned.

21/02/2013 at 07:17

Khanivore - then you can save your other shoes for your long runs and races, so not a loss money wise.   And you will get a lot of training miels out of a pair of Kayanos.

((((molly))) - lovely to 'hear' from you again and good news you are running again.  I'm sure you'll get round Rome OK, you have great determination.  

Sorry not doing Manchester but will see you in Berlin.   We are probably going back to Firenze too in November.

Emmy - good luck with the nutritionist, I think once you can deal with the food issues you can start to enjoy your races again.

Keith - bitterly cold wind here too, cut short my run today.

VR and I are going to decide in the morning whether to do our ultra this weekend, looks like it might be too cold for me.   Means I will have to find another race, but I can do that, I'm sure.

21/02/2013 at 07:59

Lovely and warm in bed so there i stayed I shall attempt to drag myself out tonight depending on how i feel Still cold and icy out

PSC    pirate
21/02/2013 at 07:59

Morning Shadies.... long time no post from me....

I have news - I've got into Brighton, which is great and I knew that it would be OK when I was asked to run it as it's on a spare weekend, albeit sandwiched between 2 other marathon weekends!  Shades, I blame you (and Bobo of course) for making this lunatic world that I have slowly adopted for appearing "normal". 

on on.........

21/02/2013 at 08:18

PSC - LOL, but no problem for you I'm sure.   Are you going for a time?

Keith - I don't blame you for staying in bed

Sofaboy - training paces...

Easy 9:25 to 9:55 min/miles
Long 9:25 to 10:25 min/miles
Tempo pace 7:35 to 7:50 min/miles
Marathon pace 8:17 equates to a 3:37 marathon

21/02/2013 at 08:24

PSC lol!!! enjoy brighton, hope you have as nice a day as we had last sunday

feeling a tonne better but still got a cough going on.. walked last night and that helped so might gentle jog it today and see if that loosens things up a bit.. going demented.. 1 run in 2 weeks!

21/02/2013 at 08:37
SHADES wrote (see)
Sofaboy - training paces...

Easy 9:25 to 9:55 min/miles
Long 9:25 to 10:25 min/miles
Tempo pace 7:35 to 7:50 min/miles
Marathon pace 8:17 equates to a 3:37 marathon

thanks Shades. but now i'm even more confunkled. these paces are pretty much what i had worked out for a 9:00 marathon pace (easy - 9:30, long - 9:50, tempo - 7:40) but the race pace seems REALLY quick.

i have been working with a 4 hour marathon in mind as a "that would be awesome" goal. but as my long runs have progressed up to 18-20 miles i'm wondering whether starting the marathon at a 9:00 pace is a good idea. i know you generally run better in a race than in training, but the way i feel after 18 miles at 10:00 pace leaves me a bit worried about doing the same again and then 8 more but a minute quicker.

i was thinking you'd say that my marathon pace should be something a bit slower like 9:15 or 9:30 pace but 8:17?!??

does this mean that a 9:00 pace should be ok? i hate being new at something and not knowing what i'm doing.

21/02/2013 at 08:44

Hi am taking part in my first Marathon in Manchester at end of April am up to about 25 miles a week trying to do more, completed half marathon a few weeks ago in around 1 hour 28 min was pretty pleases with that. need to be mentally ready for this and get my head round completing the marathon hoping not to burn myself out and over think it as want to enjoy the day.

21/02/2013 at 09:14

blooming heck, 1H28 for a 1/2 marathon ain't too shabby.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.