Shades Marathon Training

59,361 to 59,380 of 67,607 messages
22/02/2013 at 12:09

King kenny sorry to hear it!

heading out for a plod today.. did intervals gently yesterday and really enjoyed it and coughing didn't seem to be affected so nice 3 miler should be good today!

Moving horses to a new yard tomorrow so busy day! exciting though and hopefully it will be a good move! Less stress!

Offered a place in brighton marathon.. really dont think I have anywhere near the millage done to do it but as always.. oh so tempting

22/02/2013 at 13:18

KingKenny - Sorry to hear that. Take it easy, watch some more 'Breaking Bad'!

Bootsie - Hope the move goes well. Turning them out into a strange field was always the most stressful bit.

No Ultra for me either. My groin is hurting from yesterdays exercise. Split squats if anyone is interested to avoid them! Hopefully a few days off will cure it.
I wasn't looking forward to running in these conditions anyway. Unbearable.

Hi Molly

22/02/2013 at 13:41

I know!! at least they have each other .. was horrible turning lily out on her own at the last yard.. but with mum there hopefully it will go smoother!

22/02/2013 at 14:40

KingKenny - sorry to hear that!

Hi all.  I've been off from work this week (my wife's a teacher and it's half term), so was hoping to get some good runs in but for some reason I haven't really felt up to it.  Having a slight cold, combined with eating out a fair bit and drinking too much hasn't helped!  I did 9 on Monday, and about 5 on Wednesday at the club session which I found very tough and I felt lathargic during it (it was a tough 10x400m session though).

Anyway, I woke up this morning and was feeling a bit better so I got my LSR in early.  I got 20 miles in, but it was very cold and not particularly enjoyable to be honest.  I averaged 10:10 min/mile which is within Shades pacing times, but I did find it quite tough.  It's funny, as if I'd wanted to I think I could have carried on to the 26 miles but not sure if I could have gone much quicker overall (even though it was at LSR pace, and not target marathon pace) if that makes sense?

Shades - I'm following your plan and this week (week 8) shows 15 for the LSR, but as I mentioned above I did 20 instead.  The reason is that next weekend (3 March) I have a half marathon so won't be able to do the suggested 20 miles that weekend.  I hope it's okay that I changed things around a little bit?

Regarding training next week, in preparation for the half.  I am feeling quite tired so I was thinking of just doing 5mins easy on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday and go for a PB again on the Sunday if I'm feeling up for it.  This will be no where near your suggested mileage of 39 for that week, but was wondering what you thought of that, or if you have any other suggestions?

22/02/2013 at 14:52

I just need to breathe the marathon word and something niggles.. ITB flared on other leg today lol!! my bodys way of saying no to brighton me thinks! great 4 mile run though.. dispite a bit of pain.. totally worth it! skipped lunch and just had a huge slab of sponge cake with buttercream icing  instead!

22/02/2013 at 16:40

Steve - don't worry, it's normal to go through phases of being obsessed!

VR - sounds like the rest will do you good, split squats oohh they sound painful.

Bootsie - always listen to your body. Cake sounded lovely

Big G - well done on your 20 miler. If I were you, I'd take an extra day's rest if you're feeling tired. Less is more, there's no benefit of overtraining. One day off will do you much more good than harm.

Hope you all have a good weekend running or otherwise x

23/02/2013 at 00:08

Bootsie - you can register interest on the Brighton half marathon page for 2014 now. The link is just above where the countdown timer was at the top of the page. Just thought I would mention it as I know you are a regular there.

23/02/2013 at 06:55

KingKenny - that's not good news about the soleus/calf and so unfair as you were so careful.   Looks like you might not be able to run much before Barcelona.

molly - a long run this weekend will be enough to get you ready for Rome.

Steven - be careful, if you feel you should take a rest then you do, you are risking injury at this stage.   Maybe you're doing some of your runs too fast?

bootsie - is that a charity place for Brighton that you've been offered?

VR - ouch - what's a split squat?    You can demonstrate next time I see you...if you're better of course!

Big G - yes of course it's OK to swap the long run with next week's half marathon.   I take it you mean 5 miles not 5 mins, 3 days this week? LOL   That's fine, although there is no need to taper for a half marathon on any of my marathon plans it's the right thing to step back and ease up on the mileage if you fee you need to.

That's a good 20 miler you've done and you will surprise yourself during the marathon re pace.

Stuck my head out the window this morning and so glad I've DNS'd today's race, just too cold.

Edited: 23/02/2013 at 07:01
PSC    pirate
23/02/2013 at 07:11

snow on the ground here again!  

23/02/2013 at 08:19
Thanks Shades, and yes I meant 5 miles!
23/02/2013 at 11:13
Hi Shades. Really interested in the Connemarathon ultra, is it hard to get a place, and do you think you will be entering next year? Will speak to my good lady later and test the water.
23/02/2013 at 11:25

Off to the gym now for a 8 miler or so, need to do a LSR outside tomorrow as well, but it's cold.

I've had a really busy and testing week at work and I'd admit my motivation for running is not great right now - maybe it's just a lot of routine running and with the VLM feeling a long way off still??? 

I should be looking at running as an escape from work, but all feels like hard work at the mo.

Not giving up though, maybe need to sort out a running buddy or join a running club to keep me motivated???

This Shades'  thread does offer me decent support too and its always good to hear about other riunner's plans and efforts.

Gym gyminy gym gyminy gym gym gerooooooo 

23/02/2013 at 11:47
Rattler, I think joining a club can be really motivating. I only did two runs this week as legs a bit tired from Brighton but went to my club session today. They had a timed 5k which I thought I would take easy, but the competitive instinct kicks in when you run with others!

Really cold today. Hoping to do 18-20 miles tomorrow as feels like a few weeks now since I have run this long. Will take it slow though and see if I can avoid getting frozen. Shades, definitely the right decision not to do your race today.
23/02/2013 at 11:51
20 miles this afternoon with my new best friend, Mr Treadmill. We will be watching the rugby, listening to some classic Leftfield and munching on jelly babies.
23/02/2013 at 12:19
What a great best friend, Sofaboy! Jellybabies and music sound good but 20 miles on the TM?! That takes a lot of dedication. I did 18m on the TM when we had snow and it was easier on the legs (and warmer) but I didn't get the same buzz that I get afterwards from running outside. Good luck!
23/02/2013 at 14:36

I went above 18 miles for the first time today. I forced myself to stick to 10 min miles at the beginning and this really paid off at the end as I was really starting to struggle from 18 miles onwards. I did the 20 mile run but I have never felt so bad after a run. I am shivery, slightly queesy and a bit dizzy. How on earth am i going to do 26.2 miles in less than 2 months!? 

I did not have breakfast before setting off around 10.30am. However I did have lots to eat yesterday including an entire packet of chocolate biscuits (I put it down to nerves, I'm starting a new job on Monday). I left a water bottle outside my house. I drank from it at 6 miles and then again at 15 miles. I took three 'high 5' energy gels, one every 45 mins. I'm very happy to have done 20 miles but more than a little concerned at how i feel given i was holding myself back to 10 min miles. Looks like 10 min miles might be my marathon pace!?

23/02/2013 at 15:46

@Khani, that's interesting about yor pace and feedback, I'm up for a 18 miler (or so) tomorrow, will try the 10mm pace and let you know how that goes. For my last 20 miler, I took a bottle of Lucozade Sport out with me, had a gel at 9 miles and another at 15, felt about right.

I'm just back from the gym, did 45 mins at intervals (different treadmill inclines) - the Garmin said it was 8.50 pace - felt hard, but OK. This was a pace that I couldn't run these before, so I must be getting fitter - feeling more positive now.

It's cold outside for sure, but as long as I can keep out of the wind, should be OK. Kinda looking forward to the long run - (or maybe just a big roast dinner afterwards) 

23/02/2013 at 16:01

Oh that roast dinner sounds very good lol Well done on the fitness gains! It's a great feeling isn't it. Not so long ago 10 min miles were beyond my wildest dreams  

You are right about it being cold. My first 5 miles was really fun. It was snowing but it was sunny. Really quite surreal. However it then got grey and a little windy. That was not so much fun.

23/02/2013 at 16:06

I also find for the longer runs Ipod music really helps me. - contraversial I know 

I've downloaded a few specific running mixes from here - http://runningmixes.com/ a couple are around 2 hours long too.

They're free and whilst it does depend upon your musical tastes, I've found them really helpful.

Tim

23/02/2013 at 16:12

i used to run to podcasts (IMTALK and Marathon Talk) and they did really help. However I have decided to ditch the music and focus on my technique as I was getting injured and I suspect this might have been happening because I was not correcting my obviously pathetic running technique I envy those of you who can just 'run'.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.