Shades Marathon Training

59,401 to 59,420 of 66,702 messages
24/02/2013 at 22:52

well after a week of no training due to being in disneyland i put the shoes on yesterday and did an easy 6 and a fast 6 tonight, it felt a little alien at first but i soon got into the rhythm of it again and managed tonights run at 7min /mile average. realised my marathon is only a short 13 weeks till my marathon so i better get my long runs sorted...

Khanivore - those workshops are great specially when you take something from them and apply it to your own running and feel the imitiate improvements. I used to run very tense (and still do when tired) with my arms right up against my chest but i learned that if i lowered them and avoided bringing them across my body i'de save energy and have more momentum. so now i try keep them low and i find it helps me maintain a steady pace..Could do with a few more to iron out any other niggles i have..

25/02/2013 at 07:16

Sofaboy - hope you manage to get outdoors for your next long run

Big G - good news on the swift recovery, a sign of your improved fitness

Rattler - LOL at the geography, but you'd have been disappointed if it had been a shorter course than expected

Khanivore - and a swift recovery for you too.  I thought you would enjoy Sam's workshop, she's a very good speaker and sensible with her advice.

Iain - it's hard to remember when running all the advice we're given about good form, especially in the latter stages of a marathon.

VR - thank you I'd love to go to Duchy with you and Butler...let's hope it's not 50mph winds this year on the coastal section

Still that sharp NE wind here but not too bad.   Came home on the back road which is even more exposed as they'd felled the trees and hedges ready for the bypass.

25/02/2013 at 09:11

well this weekend is the silverstone half, so i'll be outside whatever the weather. althuogh i think my mind numbing experience on saturday has given me a newfound appreciation of running outdoors.

25/02/2013 at 10:40

morning all.. good weekend?

well back to physio again tomorrow morning.  After run on friday I can't put alot of weight on my foot.  Outer foot pain back where I used to get it before plus pain on the outside of my knee which feels like ITB.. all taped up and support bandages on but actually very painful and not able to walk far.  Struggled on a 20 min walk with the dog.. fingers crossed it clears up quickly as ballycotton 10 is on sunday.. still painkillers and bandages might get me through if it doens't clear up!

25/02/2013 at 12:12

Just done a Monday morning catchup on this thread..wow some big mileages going on, well done all. Well impressed with 20 on a treadmill, I got bored during a Gait Analysis!

Fingers crossed for you bootsie, hopefully nothing that will keep you out of action.

Quick update, I can walk almost completely niggle free, just feel it a touch at the end of the stride when my heel starts lifting. Did some indoor bouldering yesterday with the kids which was great fun, made the calf ache a little but no pain. Planning to do some swimming this week & add some cycling in. No running at all until Barcelona (well maybe a little one a day or 2 before as a tester), still hopeful of getting round.

25/02/2013 at 12:16

best of luck KingKenny.. you are doing really well taking it easy

25/02/2013 at 13:06

Sofaboy - I think the weather should be a bit better this weekend...well let's hope so!

bootsie - that doesn't sound good at all.   Did you have orthotics to try and resolve that problem before?

KingKenny - well that is good news that you seem to be healing so quickly.

25/02/2013 at 13:47

Hi shades, ya I have had.  It niggled a bit in the half marathon last sunday.. but felt perfect when i did my interval session on thursday.  I ran a 4 miler on friday and it just completely blew.. nightmare so will see how it goes.. have physio at 7:30 am tomorrwo so keeping my fingers crossed.  Ballycotton is my fav race of the year so do not want to miss it

25/02/2013 at 14:47
Sounds like loads of you are racing this weekend.

Bootsie,hope you are OK to run for the weekend. Will the physio give you a massage or just advise?

KK, is that the Barcelona marathon you are doing this weekend? Very jealous. Hope you are good to run too.

Khanivore, after seeing the photos and video of myself from the Brighton half, I think I need to work on my form as I seem to really lean forwards! I know Pilates really helps but I have only been once this year.
25/02/2013 at 16:24

Hi everyone! Just catching up with you all - loads of long runs going on!!

Went out for a 32k yesterday - was absolutley freeeeezing - did not have any particular pace in mind as have only just got garmin so just took it easy and had average pace of 5.52m/km which was pretty constant. Had one impressive km at 4.40m/km but this was only because Moby's 'extreme ways' came on my MP3 and I was pretending to be Matt Damon . My legs felt like bits of wood for the last 2km though and I'm not sure if I could have gone any faster which is a bit worrying.

Still have no idea what my training paces should be. Meant to do a 10k tempo run to time myself this week but jumped out of window (ground floor) on Monday to avoid stupid dog seeing and following me and twisted knee  so rested up for a few days and then didn't want to push it before long run on Sunday. Am doing a HM next Sunday so will see what time I do and maybe you could work me out some paces Shades?

Am planning on just doing one tempo run and one easy 10k between now and thursday and then nothing until race on Sunday.. does that sound ok?

Sofaboy - Thank you for music link

Bootsie - really hope your knee and foot sorts itself out before the weekend...

KK - Hope you are well enough to run and to enjoy your race... and what is 'indoor bouldering'? (or did I read that wrong?)

Khani - Good to hear you found your workshop informative. I really dread to think what my posture is like when I run - unless of course I am in showing off mode.... which I can't sustain for any length of time anyway...

25/02/2013 at 16:31

Barcelona is March 17th so I've got just under 3 weeks. Tapering for it now ,concerned about putting a stone on! ,must remember I'm not actually doing anything active right now so can't consume everything in sight

Not sure whether to go see a Physio or not ?, will it help to know exactly what it is or will they just tell me to rest which I already know ? Dr Google has been helpful and I've narrowed it down to about 50 things it could be now ! ha ha.

Have you got other stuff planned after Ballycotton bootsie ? ,if not then I'd be tempted to strap it up, take some drugs and go for it & take a rest after, but my methods are probably not recommended!

25/02/2013 at 16:44

(bootsie) hope your physio goes ok

Shades - I did 18 miles yesterday morning and it went ok, I was a bit tired towards the end and I remember thinking that I couldn't have done the extra 8 miles but that's probably because I had the 18 mile limit in my mind.

KK-  I'll be doing Rome on the same day as Barcelona.

Some excellent runs this weekend, well done!

Any news from Emmy?

25/02/2013 at 17:22

bootsie - let's hope the physio can sort you out for Sunday.

Slowkoala - LOL at only one session of Pilates this year.   Leaning forward is not necessarily a fault...depends what your legs are doing!

mamfox - hope you're Ok after jumping out the window!!

Yes, we will calculate your paces after your half marathon and yes, one tempo and one easy run is fine preparation for the race.

KingKenny - it's too soon to carbo load so go easy on the food   Treatment on a calf injury can help, but there's no magic cure to any injury so it's up to you.   Have you considered calf guards or compression socks? I've never used them but see a lot of runners with them now.

molly - well that's your long run done so you know you'll get round OK.

No word from Emmy yet, no results on race website.   She probably doesn't have internet connection.

Edited: 25/02/2013 at 17:23
25/02/2013 at 18:06

Rattler  - sorry, it was you I meant to thank for the music link.... just was thinking about sofaboys marathon treadmill session at the time!!

Shades - am abs fine, will let you know HM times after Sunday - thank you

25/02/2013 at 20:50

my physio is a good lad.. hopefully he will sort it all out.. reassuringly my foot feels alot better for having worn the support bandage all day today so thats promising I hope!

Molly I never feel like I could go any further on my runs.. I thnk its a mental thing

25/02/2013 at 20:55

@mamafox, I like most of the music on there, although some of it can be a bit "urban" 

The other music I Iisten to is the Ministry of Sound Running Trax offerings;

http://www.ministryofsound.com/shop/product/music/44185/running-trax-mash-up

Or even an IPhone app that updates;

http://www.ministryofsound.com/lifestyle/blog/1311/running-trax-app/

Tim 

25/02/2013 at 21:25

Cheers Rattler    - will go for ministry of sound as that looks good, in general I make up my own playlists but takes time and obviously a lot of good stuff around that I don't necessarily hear about. I LOVE listening to music while I run.. fave at moment is that Avicii 'i could be the one'... I have noddy phone so iphone app unfortunately not an option  Thank you anyway!

26/02/2013 at 07:09

bootsie - what have you actually done to your foot?

Had a lovely run this morning, ran over our new footbridge, cuts out having to run on a horrible main road

26/02/2013 at 08:09

No sign of Emmy yet but the results are up for Malta and she did well.

26/02/2013 at 08:35

brilliant news shades!! go Emmy

well bad news from physio.. he says I have a bruised 5th metatarsal and if i run on sunday there is a 20% chance I will get a stress fracture

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.