Shades Marathon Training

59,421 to 59,440 of 67,246 messages
26/02/2013 at 08:40

Morning everyone!

Fab news for Emmy - looking forward to hearing how she got on..

Gutted for you Bootsie  - doesn't sound like it would be a good idea to do your race. Did he say how long it would take to heal and can you do any running at all in the meantime?

26/02/2013 at 08:54

a few weeks mamafox .. he said i can swim, bike, cross train to my hearts content, just not running or long walks.. different movement I guess.. he said I can do my back to the trenches mud run in 2 weeks if i do it slowly but just 10 miles on road is a bad idea

26/02/2013 at 09:42

Better to listen to him, rest now and do other  less stressful activities until you are back on form again. It sounds as if you do run you will seriously put yourself out of action for some time.  That is easy for me to say but you must be so disappointed..

26/02/2013 at 10:25

Shades - i know what you mean, I hate running on main roads!

Bootsie - don't risk it, keep your fitness up otherwise and try and be patient - I know it's easier said than done though!

26/02/2013 at 10:37

sucks but I know he's right.. I couldn't even take the dog for a 15 min walk on sunday so its def not right!

Will become chief cheerleader on sunday instead!

26/02/2013 at 11:02
SHADES wrote (see)

No sign of Emmy yet but the results are up for Malta and she did well.

Yes. I'm back. Had an absolutely shocking day. I've put the report here for those that want to read it.

The first miles were OK, the last miles were OK but the middle miles?.... AWFUL. Asthma attack, sickness... everything you don't want. One runner got lost and it was in general a shambles for the last marathon runners.

Shades - I'd like to ask for your help with my training plan. I need to work on my speed and recovery. What sessions/mileage would you suggest?

Edited: 26/02/2013 at 11:05
26/02/2013 at 11:25

Emmy - well done for finishing what sounds like an awful race!

Bootsie - sorry to hear about your injury.  Like you say, it sounds like you need to rest up.

I mentioned a few pages back that I had been in touch with Amby Burfoot and the man himself has sent out a signed copy of his book.  I haven't read the book yet, but it arrived today and below is his message    I'm gobsmacked that he did this, including posting it himself (it's his own name on the postage label on the envelope).

He posted it out (without me paying) and he just requested me to pay him by PayPal when I received the book.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/465898/gallery/img_0207_1.jpg?width=350

26/02/2013 at 11:28

@Emmy - well done for completing the marathon, it does sound like a bit of a shocker - but credit to you for keeping going - great work 

26/02/2013 at 11:28

Big G, that is just cool!!

Emmy... well done for finishing that race.. sounds hard work!

26/02/2013 at 11:33

Thanks shades, think I'll leave the Physio for now and just start doing some gentle calf raises etc for now and see how I react to that.

Well done Emmy, you finished & many would have given up. Does it count as an ultra as you did a little extra ? 

mamafox - Indoor bouldering is just like indoor climbing but you don't have any ropes/harnesses but don't go as high, you just fall onto big soft mats. Good fun & a good workout. Quite like the no faffing around with ropes/belaying etc, you just get on with it.

bootsie - sorry to hear that, but at least it's bruised & not broken so you'll mend soon enough...enjoy the rest.

26/02/2013 at 11:59
Emmy - sorry you had a bad run over in Malta. It's quite stressful having a strict cut off like that. Well done for toughing it out! Lets hope you can put it behind you and focus on the next one. Is there a running club near you that offer speed work etc?

Bootsie - what are you like? Hope it heals soon.

Big G. That's lovely for him to do that. Hope it's a good read!
26/02/2013 at 12:18

Big G - wow! Brilliant to have a personal touch like that! I enjoyed his article in RW last month, let us know what the book is like.

KK - indoor bouldering sounds fun! thank you for clearing that up for me

Emmy - that sounds like a complete nightmare.. Well done you for finishing!!

26/02/2013 at 12:25
Valley Runner wrote (see)
Emmy - sorry you had a bad run over in Malta. It's quite stressful having a strict cut off like that. Well done for toughing it out! Lets hope you can put it behind you and focus on the next one. Is there a running club near you that offer speed work etc?

The cut off was more of an incentive for me rather than pressure. I was thinking: Keep at xx pace and keep rocking along. When I went the wrong way and 5hrs flew out the window - I got more annoyed.

The only club local to me at home are a bunch of egotistical bar stewards who don't like anyone who cant run a sub 1.40 half marathon.... I'm trying to find a club near work and hopefully that'll be better.

KingKenny wrote (see)

Thanks shades, think I'll leave the Physio for now and just start doing some gentle calf raises etc for now and see how I react to that.

Well done Emmy, you finished & many would have given up. Does it count as an ultra as you did a little extra ? 

mamafox - Indoor bouldering is just like indoor climbing but you don't have any ropes/harnesses but don't go as high, you just fall onto big soft mats. Good fun & a good workout. Quite like the no faffing around with ropes/belaying etc, you just get on with it

I think so... i wonder if they'll accept my garmin reading!

Stretching is great - i find that calf raises are really effective for me.

Mamafox - I agree about indoor boldering. It's a lot of fun

26/02/2013 at 13:18

bootsie - that is bad news, did he say what's caused it?  You haven't been doing high mileage.

Emmy - well done, you had an absolute nightmare but still turned out a good performance and very frustrating to have gone off route too.   But in marathon running these things happen and they've happened to most of us at some time.

Right back to your training.    What date is Paris and do you have any more races before then?

You've done a lot (race wise) lately and that will have a negative effect on your marathon speed.   Firstly you need to recover from Malta, mentally and physically and put it behind you. 

Have you any niggles?   Have you done a recovery run yet to see how your legs are?

If you can reply to all that I'll write you a little training plan if you like...what about FF, don't want to tread on anyone's toes here

26/02/2013 at 13:19

Big G - nice one.  

26/02/2013 at 13:23

Big G - wow! that's really kind of him!

Emmy - well done on finishing, it sounded a bit of a shambles. The main thing is that that you're okay. You look good in the photo anyway! If you don't manage 4.30 in Paris, you'll do it in Berlin . They'd run out of medals? that's shocking really, they should always have some spares.

26/02/2013 at 13:23

Hi Shades,

I've not heard anything from FF. I was planning to send him a message to ask what's going on as I feel that I need some more support in the next few weeks.

Paris is: Sunday 7th April.
Races coming up: 3rd March (this sunday) 10 mile race (Brugge-Oostende).
Another possible race - 16th March - 12km 'city' run (not yet subscribed).

Niggles - just one in my foot. The guy in the store thinks its where I've tightened my shoes too much. Its a little tender but OK and it didnt hurt on Sunday. My hamstrings are still tight but with stretching it's helping. After Malta- my quads are a little tender (yep... it's definitely the quads this time).

I've done a recovery run of 4 miles this morning but my garmin packed up so I dont know average pace/time. I think it was around 45 minutes.

26/02/2013 at 13:24
bootsie wrote (see)

brilliant news shades!! go Emmy

well bad news from physio.. he says I have a bruised 5th metatarsal and if i run on sunday there is a 20% chance I will get a stress fracture

How on earth can you get a bruise on your metatarsal?

26/02/2013 at 13:29
marathon molly wrote (see)

Big G - wow! that's really kind of him!

Emmy - well done on finishing, it sounded a bit of a shambles. The main thing is that that you're okay. You look good in the photo anyway! If you don't manage 4.30 in Paris, you'll do it in Berlin . They'd run out of medals? that's shocking really, they should always have some spares.

I agree. They needed to plan better. I'm hoping that it'll improve in future years. I'm hoping that the break will do me good and i'll come back stronger.

How did you get on at the weekend, Molly? Did you feel OK on your run?

26/02/2013 at 13:32

Emmy - I'll try and put something together for you when I get home from work tonight.   OK for you to do your 10 miler on Sunday and if you want to enter the 12k go ahead, I can work round both of them.

Ice your foot, if you can.   It should ease in a day or so.

Back to work now

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.