Shades Marathon Training

59,441 to 59,460 of 65,052 messages
26/02/2013 at 13:29
marathon molly wrote (see)

Big G - wow! that's really kind of him!

Emmy - well done on finishing, it sounded a bit of a shambles. The main thing is that that you're okay. You look good in the photo anyway! If you don't manage 4.30 in Paris, you'll do it in Berlin . They'd run out of medals? that's shocking really, they should always have some spares.

I agree. They needed to plan better. I'm hoping that it'll improve in future years. I'm hoping that the break will do me good and i'll come back stronger.

How did you get on at the weekend, Molly? Did you feel OK on your run?

26/02/2013 at 13:32

Emmy - I'll try and put something together for you when I get home from work tonight.   OK for you to do your 10 miler on Sunday and if you want to enter the 12k go ahead, I can work round both of them.

Ice your foot, if you can.   It should ease in a day or so.

Back to work now

26/02/2013 at 13:44

Thanks Shades :0) It's much appreciated. I'll ice my foot later tonight and see if that helps.

Good luck at work... I have 4 hours of meetings and i'm going to hate every hour of it.

26/02/2013 at 14:12

Hi Shades, he said it was just a build up.  Bascially even though the orthotics help realign my foot they dont cure it completely and my feet are badly structured.  so the half marathon on sunday started it and then the two runs mid week just compounded the bruising on the bone

26/02/2013 at 16:19
Emmy, I really felt for you in your race report. Do you get asthma a lot when running? Must be quite scary and must have taken a lot of guts to keep going. The lack of medals is inexcusable as surely they would have known how many to order from the number of race entries? How frustrating as well to have to run over distance, I don't think I would have carried on to the end. But going forwards I'm sure you learn more from races with problems than from ones which all run smoothly.

Bootsie, sorry you've had to join the injury bench. So frustrating when our hearts and minds want to keep going but our bodies need to rest. Do you enjoy cycling and swimming? Hopefully the combination of cross training plus rest will make your come back even stronger

Early work start for me so no run yet. Knees feeling a little sore from long run on Sunday so will probably just to easy 5 miles tonight.
26/02/2013 at 16:25

Hi Slowkoala,

I've had asthma since I was a wee one so I know how to 'control' it and since i've been running it's not affected me as much. I do get wheezy around my allergies and I know that around certain triggers (e.g. cats, dust) - i'll struggle with breathing. This breathing was something like i've only felt once or twice. It felt like no matter how much air I was breathing - it was not enough for me. I tried controlled breathing techniques but I walked for around a mile by myself to put myself back in check - take my inhalers and keep moving. It's funny - but today - I don't feel any chest tightness like I sometimes do.

I dont want to appear negative about the race because there were a lot of positives but for me - that race was another hard one.... who knew marathons were so hard?

26/02/2013 at 16:31
Emmy, hats off to all of you lot who do multiple marathons. Not sure I'm ready to join you yet! I think 10 miles is my favourite distance still.

Big G, impressed with your signed book. What a lovely man he sounds. I can imagine Shades writing a book in years to come on running - you must have enough experience of different races and must have a lot of stories to tell
26/02/2013 at 17:27

Emmy - my 18 miler wasn't too bad, it's given me a mental boost that I can finish a marathon in 3 weeks' time.

Running home from work this evening and then 2 days of rest as I'm doing a course in Milan (and I've just checked the hotel website and they don't have a "dreadmill", I can't work out if I'm relieved or not

26/02/2013 at 17:27

bootsie - do you use different shoes?   Speak to your physio and in the future it might help that you don't run in the same shoes on consecutive runs, then if there's a spot that's getting a bit more pressure than it should, a diferent pair of shoes can alleviate that.

Slowkoala wrote (see)

Big G, impressed with your signed book. What a lovely man he sounds. I can imagine Shades writing a book in years to come on running - you must have enough experience of different races and must have a lot of stories to tell

Noooooo, not you as well.   Everyone wants me to write a book

Emmy - maybe the different atmosphere/air quality triggered your asthma, especially after the cold weather you've had back home.

Off to ponder on your training schedule

26/02/2013 at 17:31
Well done Emmy, you should be very proud of yourself for keeping going. Good luck with 4.30 in Paris.
26/02/2013 at 18:44

Emmy - I've emailed you to your gmail address.

26/02/2013 at 18:57

evening all hope you are all well...cant someone invent a pill that reddies you for a marathon withouy all this training malarky. Really finding it hard to get out and train..I have a 10miler planned for tonight but i might only do 6 cause i cant be bothered..I know not the right attitude but thats where my head is at the moment. Grrr curse you bad attitude lol

26/02/2013 at 22:37

I'm looking for some guidance, I have a dull pain on my leftside, on the ribcage (about the point that the bicep would touch with arms down straight) and I'm unsure if running has caused it.

I've looked online and it may be some kind of intercostal muscle tear or pull, I've had the pain for 4-5 days and wasn't sure what caused it, Its not inflammed, but is tender to touch and is a constant dull ache. I'll give it a day or so before I get it checked properly as it might just sort itself out (and too busy to get to the Docs).

I had this before my 21 mile run on Sunday and this run didn't make it feel any worse, and I didn't feel it when I ran, so I guess its OK to continue training, but its beginning to annoy me - any advice?

Thanks

Tim 

27/02/2013 at 07:06

Iain - LOL, but then there would be no achievement in completing a marathon

Rattler - sounds like you've pulled a muscle.   You're not recovering from a cold or chest infection are you?

Slightly less cold today but I'm so happy to get off the main roads now and at least do the last part of my run on the country roads

27/02/2013 at 07:13

Thanks Shades! Much appreciated.

I'm off to Frankfurt for the day *yawn*.

27/02/2013 at 08:20

Emmy - you're welcome

I'm off to work soon, my 4 minute commute ..LOL

27/02/2013 at 08:42

Its good to be reading all these posts and talking with other runners and seeing how they are getting on, went on a 6 mile run last night after to 10 mile runs at the weekend and felt like my legs were going to fall off ) it sure is good to get out though and put the miles in.

27/02/2013 at 09:32

@Shades  - not recovering from a Chest Infection or cold (to speak of) - had a few coughs and splutters, but generaly I'm in decent health. I did read that even a hard cough could have caused this, but maybe its down to landing awkwardly on a run?

It's just a pain !!!  - did you see what I did there???? 

27/02/2013 at 10:20
Rattler, I'd go the the doctors but then I'm a woman and I know men are different and like to leave it as long as possible

Decided to miss my MWLR today. My knees felt not quite right on my 4 miles last night. I might be being over cautious but I had a knee injury 18 months ago and couldn't run for 3 months. At least both knees feel a bit tender so hoping they will be OK with a bit of a rest.
27/02/2013 at 12:00

@Fastkoala - I'm not even sure where my Doctors is  - I'll give it a few days and see. Off for a run at lunchtime too 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.