Shades Marathon Training

59,581 to 59,600 of 67,841 messages
05/03/2013 at 21:23
Hi guys,
The sooner day the better for me so I have a buffer in case a last minute meeting comes up. Thurs 18th sounds good to me and I would prefer to go with you guys
05/03/2013 at 21:33
Thursday is looking like a winner so far
06/03/2013 at 00:05

McMillan always has a 90 sec LSR range going from MP to MP+90 iirc. It is however roughly the right pace for a marathon based on that half time.

06/03/2013 at 07:18

Mamafox, yes I will do your paces later today

Big G - you plan looks fine.  Re the 10k I would suggest racing it as long as you feel like doing so at the time

molly - I'm sure that was just a bad run, it will make you stronger

Khanivore - am looking forward to reading your report later and I will look at your splits.   I'm no longer using McMillan for training paces as some of them IMHO are too fast, I'll do you paces later and see how they compare.

bootsie - I believe Ballycotton is one of the best races to spectate

Slowkoala - that's fine it you want to keep an equal pace all the way round and will be good for you to run with your team mate...I bet you beat him!

I know I am nerdy when it comes to running......so LOL at you lot at weighing the sachets of porridge.

I would suggest on long run or race day that you eat as much porridge as you want/can take on board.   Ideally you should be looking to try and get a 600 calorie breakfast in before a marathon!!

06/03/2013 at 07:58
marathon molly wrote (see)

Emmy - I think it was just a duff run which happens now & again. Fingers crossed!

I had mine this morning I ended up turning home 1 1/2 miles early because I felt so shocking. I'm trying to be positive and be glad that I got out there anyway.

Khanivore wrote (see)

marathon molly would you like me to weigh the contents of a sachet for you?

I can already tell you... Yes Shades - I'm that sad. It's between 39-41g per sachet. The difference is dependent upon which one i have (e.g. golden syrup weighs less than blueberry and apple).

The milk that you put in the sachet is 125ml/130ml (depends on how you hold the sachet).

06/03/2013 at 08:16
Thanks Shades, don't think I'll be him as he's got a lot of long distance experience but if he starts at a similar pace I might tag him!

All the talk of VLM expo is making me nervous. I usually work on Thursdays so may go on the Wesnesday. Although tempted to swap my work days to have Thurs and Friday off to rest Then I could come on the Thursday too.

Re porridge, I still maintain that those sachets are too small unless you have two

Emmy, I wouldn't worry about a duff run. Just look forwards to the next one.
06/03/2013 at 08:16

Emmy - sorry to hear you had a bad run, are you feeling tired?

LOL at the porridge sachets.  I've tried the sachet ones and they're OK but couldn't have the flavoured and I prefer mine made with water.  

06/03/2013 at 08:41

eating as much porridge as i can manage would NOT be a good idea here And erm them quakers instant sachet things, i er use 2 and still dont really feel full afterwards

06/03/2013 at 08:49

Hi All,

Still suffering with my calfs, been 2 weeks and no running. I'm starting to panic now as the VLM is getting closer and my one of my calfs is so painful. Please help, I'm desperate!

06/03/2013 at 08:52
SHADES wrote (see)

Emmy - sorry to hear you had a bad run, are you feeling tired?

LOL at the porridge sachets.  I've tried the sachet ones and they're OK but couldn't have the flavoured and I prefer mine made with water.  

I'm not sure to be honest. I think it's a general tiredness but also a bad day feeling. I use the sachets on 'normal' days but make it with soya milk and for race days I try to use 'normal' oats.

Keith M Stuart wrote (see)

eating as much porridge as i can manage would NOT be a good idea here And erm them quakers instant sachet things, i er use 2 and still dont really feel full afterwards

Lol! You're truly an eating machine!! 2 and you're NOT full?!

06/03/2013 at 08:53

shades its beautiful!

lucy locks, please done panic.  Every marathon i've done I have had to take 4 weeks off around this time because of injury and still did fine in the marathon.  You will be absolutely fine!

Not resting too much as horses to be mucked out and cross training .. but foot still niggling but running the 5km on saturday so will see how that goes!

06/03/2013 at 09:07

Molly - one sachet of quakers golden syrup flavour porridge is 36g (dry). If you add 180ml of semi-skimmed milk you get 215kcal. Hope that helps.

06/03/2013 at 09:11

Lucy a sports massage really helped me with my sore side-of-calf muscle problem. Maybe it would be worth having a go? I know how you feel. It's a terrible feeling. All I can offer is the advice of listening to bootsie. Panicing won't help and you have done most of your training already anyway. I ended up not running properly for 5-6 weeks very recently and it doesn't actually seem to have hurt my ability to run at all.

Emmy really sorry to hear about your bad run. 

06/03/2013 at 09:13

I would be happy to go to the Expo on Wednesday to accomodate fastkoala's diary - what about you sofaboy and rattler?

06/03/2013 at 10:12

thanks for all porridge info! I'm pleased to know I'm not the only saddo about!

Keith - two!? what are you like!!!

Emmy - if it makes you feel better, I had a cracking run last night. Unexpectedly I had to deviate as a road was closed and do an extra km and I was rushing to pick my daughter up so I had to take it up a gear. I was bright red and sweaty but I was well chuffed after. So wait a couple of days and get out there

Shades - once again, you were right. Please start writing that book!!

06/03/2013 at 10:29

Tried a sports massage, felt better at the time but overall no improvement. Do you think complete rest until its better? I'm dying to run!

06/03/2013 at 10:38

@Molly - That's great news! I hope that my other runs this week will be like that!

They are currently digging up my street and are starting work at 7am every morning  .. and i've not been getting to bed too early lately!

06/03/2013 at 10:50

Lucy I'll leave it to Shades to advise you. My experience is so limited that it would be the blind leading the blind if I offered any advice. As I say though, bear in mind that some more time off can not nullify all the hard training you have already done. People told me that and I didn't believe them. I was really upset and panicing. However, after a couple of weeks of running again I feel I am as fit as I was before my long break and possibly in even better condition. 

06/03/2013 at 12:58

hi lucy did the sports massage person give you any advice on cross training you could do?

06/03/2013 at 13:19

Khanivore - wonderful race report and lovely photos, the twins look tired after all the excitement of watching you run.

Re your splits, a little fast in places but your HR was good and steady but I would have expected your HR to peak as you went for the finish line.   Not unusual to see HR drop a little after the first few miles as adrenaline (the excitement of a race situation) causes HR to rise and then lower a bit when you are well into the race.

Off to look at  your training paces now

Emmy - you sound a little stressed, a good night's sleep is what yu need.

Lucy - you might need to look at your shoes.   Worn out?   Not suitable for the sort of training you're doing?

When you had the sports massage did they find any damage to your calf muscles?

Edited: 06/03/2013 at 13:32
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.