Shades Marathon Training

59,601 to 59,620 of 66,730 messages
06/03/2013 at 13:26

No advice on cross training, just said my calfs were extremley tight one more so than the other.

Been to a physio and got new trainers about 2 months ago, picked up orthotics to put in them last week so I am hoping they make a difference but need to wear them in for a bit. I'm literally trying anything there is to try, just getting fed up at the mo!

06/03/2013 at 13:34

Lucy - check with your physio that you have time to get used to the orthotics before your marathon.

You'll just need to keep stretching your calfs every day and try and run in a relaxed way.

06/03/2013 at 13:35

Shades a combination of the cold, the excitement and going to the toilet about 50 times definitely took it out of them I was so pleased they came. If I keep taking them to these things they will become runners too and not have to spend 40 years of their life unfit as I did!

Re. my heart rate, I was a little surprised by that too. I looked closely at the very last bit of the race when i put my fit down and you can see my HR rising but this was so close to the end that it just got averaged out. So, I am pretty sure the monitor was working fine.

This leads me to wonder whether my performance is being held back by my leg strength rather than my aerobic capability. Could that be the case? This is why I was asking whether you think I should focus on specific training. 

Thanks for taking the time to work out new paces for me. I know how busy you are and really do appreciate it. Like Molly I think you should write a book. I'd be first in line to buy it.

06/03/2013 at 13:36
SHADES wrote (see)

Emmy - you sound a little stressed, a good night's sleep is what yu need.

You couldn't be more true.... I think I already need a holiday after my last one!

06/03/2013 at 13:39

Khanivore - paces

Long run 9:35 to 10:35 min/miles
Easy run 9:35 to 9:55 min/miles
Tempo 7:45 to 8:00 min/miles
Marathon pace 8:39

Mamafox -paces

Long run 9:05 to 10:05 min/miles
Easy run 9:05 to 9:55 min/miles
Tempo 7:20 to 7:35 min/miles
Marathon Pace 8:15

Sorry you'll have to convert that to km, I'm working in miles!

06/03/2013 at 13:42

Blimey - marathon pace of 8:39? Looks like the 4hr marathon with Sofaboy and Rattler is firmly ON! Right - i'm off to do a MWLR at my new paces

06/03/2013 at 14:00

Damn - mistimed my running and now i'm going to have to do my MWLR at 9pm I HATE night running. Grrr. Maybe I could do it tomorrow and have a rest today?

06/03/2013 at 17:59

@Khani - happy to do Expo on Weds if that suits all 

06/03/2013 at 18:59
Rattler, Khani and Sofaboy, I should be able to be flexible re dates for the expo as I only work 3 days and have an office in London I go to one day a week. I reckon wed or thurs will be less manic though. What time of day are you lot aiming to go?

Khani, hope your girls get inspired to run by going to races. My dad was a runrace and would race most weekends. He would sometimes drag us to the races as kids. I used to just think they were all mad though but I do remember going to the London Marathon expo and filling a bag with freebies!
06/03/2013 at 19:01
Rattler, Khani and Sofaboy, I should be able to be flexible re dates for the expo as I only work 3 days and have an office in London I go to one day a week. I reckon wed or thurs will be less manic though. What time of day are you lot aiming to go?

Khani, hope your girls get inspired to run by going to races. My dad was a runner and would race most weekends. He would sometimes drag us to the races as kids. I used to just think they were all mad though but I do remember going to the London Marathon expo and filling a bag with freebies - stickers, badges, free energy gels, drinks etc.
06/03/2013 at 19:26

OK well since everyone seems to be available on Thursday let's do it then. Do you all have a preference? I would prefer 11am so i can buy a cheap train ticket and then get home at a decent time too. However, I am flexible and can accomodate anyone who has rigid time requirements.

06/03/2013 at 19:30

11am is fine with me

06/03/2013 at 20:03
11 am does for Me. gives me a chance to sort out any urgent business at work first.
06/03/2013 at 20:13
Works for me too.
06/03/2013 at 20:17
Great. I'll be at the entrance to excel at 11am wearing a red carnation

Rattler and Sofaboy have my number. I'll pm it to you fastkoala
06/03/2013 at 20:19
I'll be the tall bloke with a biker jacket and quiff.
07/03/2013 at 07:19

Khanivore - if you remember back when you started running, it would have been your lungs and breathing that dictated how far and fast you could run.   Now wind the clock on and you are now aerobically fit so it will be your legs that protest.   It takes years for all the muscles, tendons, ligaments to all strengthen in response to your training.   So just keep doing what you are doing, at this stage before your marathon you do not want to introduce any extra type of training (e.g. strength work/weights) which could end up causing an injury.

Re books, VR and I bumped into somebody on Sunday who's writing a book and putting a lot of runners that he knows in it...in the hope that we'll buy it!

Lovely and mild this morning, with soft rain. fab run

07/03/2013 at 07:20

As you are all meeting up for a Shadies convention at the Expo I think you should all wear shades as well as the red carnations!

07/03/2013 at 07:37
Haha I'll wear my raybans, but they are prescription lens and clear not tinted

Someone putting people they know in to a book so they buy it has low goals in terms of sales
07/03/2013 at 07:41
Depends how many people you put in it...
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.