Shades Marathon Training

59,661 to 59,680 of 66,897 messages
08/03/2013 at 14:35
Thanks Bootsie, maybe I went too fast too soon. All good experience
08/03/2013 at 16:01

Hi everyone!

Khani - loved your race report, sounds like it went really well and your family are beautiful!

Shades - thank you very much for working out my paces. Can't wait to try them out. Unfortunately it doesn't look like this will be straight away as at the moment I cannot run! Felt fine during HM on Sunday, went out for 10k recovery run on Monday, no problem. Rested Tuesday, then went out for a slow 10k hills route on Wednesday. I normally try to run this quite fast but my legs were feeling a bit tired after Sunday so I ran at a fairly easy but constant pace. Yesterday I went out for a planned 16k but from about 3k in started having twinges in my knee (same knee I jarred jumping from window a couple of weeks ago); This got steadily worse until I had to stop running altogether and actually had to walk the last 6k back home. Have been out on bike today and that is no prob but there is no way I can run. Am VERY worried. Have googled symptoms (knew this was a mistake as I was doing it) and it looks like it might be it band thing. Anyway, will not run for a few days and pray.

08/03/2013 at 18:29

Thx mamafox  

Wow I feel like such a grown up today I was meant to do a 5 mile run - I was going to run it easy pace as I have done no tempo runs since my injury. My tendon attachment points were twinging a little though which is when i did the grown up thing. I decided to skip my run to prevent injury!

Wow, I bet you never thought you would see the day huh? Lol. Will wait until Sunday when i have a 20 mile run scheduled. Plan to do 15 miles at 10 min/mile and then do the last 5 miles at 9 min/miles. 

08/03/2013 at 19:51

meh whats up with this stupid forum.....

Shades -

Lol er i cant actually run that slow these days without concentrating  i can bimble along 9:15-9:30 pace though happily enough and manage to go a little slower in the dark. I think i'll stick to 8:45 pace target for Blackpool which would be 3:50 approx.

The tempo pace is for what sort of distances? It seems to slow to me as my current 10k PB is 7:45 pace.

My Macmillan times are supposedly these Long Runs 8:38 to 9:55. Easy Runs 8:33 to 9:35. Tempo runs 7:43 to 8:00. Tempo Intervals 7:32 to 7:51. 800m reps 3:26 to 3:35.1000m reps 4:24 to 4:38. 1200m reps 5:17 to 5:37 Mile Reps 7:21 to 7:33. Althugh i'd be highly unlikely to be going sub 9 on a long run

Edited: 08/03/2013 at 19:53
08/03/2013 at 20:51

Tonight I'm mostly having trifle 

08/03/2013 at 21:20
YUK! ????????
08/03/2013 at 21:29

Lufly !!!

09/03/2013 at 06:34

mamafox - start doing some of the ITB stretches several times a day, it's a very common injury during marathon training.

Khanivore - you did the right thing by resting.   Sometimes, less is more.   And without the tempo runs you still did a cracking half marathon last week.

Keith - re forum, when I'm typing it's in tiny font, most annoying but I'm getting used to it.

Re paces the tempo is for up to about 5 or so you most certainly wouldn't want to do that distance in training at faster than 10k pace.  

Rattler - yuk

09/03/2013 at 07:13
Good morning Shades & all,

Don't know about you folks but I'm struggling to fit in all the mileage and maintain my workload, hence not being on RW all that often. I was interested about Keith's training paces as I need some advice too. My concern primarily is that I've been running my long runs too slowly and could end up suffering on race day by thinking I can do better due to shorter distance times.

I did a 10 mile race last weekend (Arbroath Smokies) in 76:43, and my recent half was 1:42:27; I'm happily running 10 mile training runs mid week following this at 8:35 pace. However, the long runs I'm doing with friends and the pace is usually 9:50 - 10:00 min mile. We've done 18, 19 and a couple of 20s at this pace. The 20 miles I did on my own pre- races was 9:25 pace and felt hard.

Doing 21 today and then one more before taper. Ultimately, the question is, do I run the last one alone and pick up the pace a bit? And what sort of MP should I aim for? I'd be delighted if I could do sub 4!

All thoughts appreciated. Have a good run/race if you're out this weekend.
09/03/2013 at 07:52

Hi Clag - just put your recent half time in the pace calculator and your long run advised pace is 9.10 to 10.10 min/miles.

So I would not advise trying to go any faster than the pace you do with your friends.  Doing a long run faster will not give you a faster marathon time, in fact it will probably have the opposite effect.

Your mid week training runs are too fast too.   Should be nearer 9.10 pace, but you can up the last couple of miles to MP if you want

Great time at Smokies well done

09/03/2013 at 07:53

Must dash, off to get my hair cut

09/03/2013 at 08:05

I knew I was going to have a late night last night (Friday) and Saturday, so I managed to get my long run after work.  I got 16 miles in at 10min/mile pace, which I know is a bit quick, but I did purposefully speed up for the last 4 miles.  I felt okay and it may sound strange, but I don't think I'm still 100% recovered from the half last weekend.

Shades - I mentioned a 10K I'm doing in March.  I've been having a look on Garmin Connect for a race profile and it seems it's mainly down hill.  All being well, I think I'm bound to get a PB but will it actually count?  The forum isn't letting me post a screenshot but the course starts at 200ft and ends at about 40ft.  Here is an example.

09/03/2013 at 08:36

Beautiful day today - so sad I can't run. Thank you for advice Shades, will google IT band stretches.

Good running this weekend everyone

09/03/2013 at 09:05
Shades - good luck with the hair cut - hope they do it right!

I'm waiting for my garmin to get a signal and I'm really not looking forward to this 18 miler. I gave myself a Rest day yesterday and syched myself up but I'm not looking forward to it here it goes!
09/03/2013 at 10:25
No running for me. I've got my brothers stag do today.
09/03/2013 at 10:58

Big G - I see it's UKA permitted race so there should be no problem with the distance, a short course would invalidate any PB's.   So as far as I know there is no reason why you can't use a PB on this course as a PB record.   If you were going for a qualifying time or a world record then it might be a different matter.

(((mamafox))) you will have to rest for a little while then start back training gently, but the stretches should help.

Emmy - hope the long run went well.

Hair is fine, I trust my hairdresser

Sofaboy - have a good time, don't wipe out too many weeks training in one mega session of partying

09/03/2013 at 16:54
Afternoon all!

Mamafox, hope you start to feel better really soon. Hopefully you will be able to run once the proper Spring weather comes along.

Emmy, how was the 18 miles?

Shades, I'm planning my last few long runs before the taper which suddenly seems soon... I have on my plan:
10/3: 14 miles
17:3: 20 mile race
24/3: 15 miles
31/3: 22 miles

Just twigged that I'm in a really hilly part of the Yorkshire Dales for my 22-miler! Eek! Don't want to swap it with the week before as that will be too close to my race. Worried that if I do a really hilly 22 miles this will injure or kill me and will not be great for my confidence. If I leave it until 7/4, that will only be 2 weeks away from the VLM, which is a bit close, isn't it? Is best option to swap it with the MWLR and do it on 27/3? Seems only option but would mean no 20 mile run for 25 days before marathon, is this OK?!!
09/03/2013 at 17:49
Thanks Shades. Just for reference, which pace calculator do you use now? McMillan 's gone all fast on me! (Hence thinking I need to run faster all the time!)
09/03/2013 at 22:01

I did tomorrow's 20 mile run today instead. It went ok i guess. I really do struggle towards the end of this distance

The run was not bad. Stopped at mile 1 (!) for a bio-break of the sitting down variety at local texaco. I went in to a shop at about 10 miles to get water but ran and drank it. At mile 18 I stopped for a very short stretch as the niggles were getting worse. At mile 19 I stopped for 30 seconds again because I am weak minded

Got home to find that my wife had used BOTH front door locks even though she knows I only carry one of the keys. All neighbours were out. Stood in freezing cold for over 2 hours and feel splendidly rubbish now.

Here are my splits. As I say - I found this a tough run. 

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll30/aak_linkedphotos/runners%20world/ScreenShot2013-03-09at220256_zps8c3ac220.png

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll30/aak_linkedphotos/runners%20world/ScreenShot2013-03-09at220256_zps8c3ac220.png

Edited: 09/03/2013 at 22:05
10/03/2013 at 08:09

Slowkoala - if the area is very hilly then reduce the 22 miler to an 18 to 20 miler, will equal the same effort as a 22 miler on an undulating route.

Clag - Im using an American running club's calculator but discovered yesterday that the calculations are the same as RW's calculator

Khanivore - you are not weak minded!!!!

LOL at being locked out for 2 hours in the cold, although it's not funny really.

Cold here today and we're forcast snow showers for the next 48 hours....almost unheard of here in South Devon

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.