Shades Marathon Training

60,021 to 60,040 of 67,249 messages
28/03/2013 at 10:01
Just been flicking through the thread. Sorry to hear about all the aches and pains. Hope the afflicted get well soon.
28/03/2013 at 10:32

similar to me so.. I have the orthotics .. maybe a second opionoin

28/03/2013 at 13:18

Couldn't see your pic Big G !

28/03/2013 at 13:21

Emmy - that's promising news.   Hamstrings may have tightened just because you haven't run, despite the stretching.  Is it still cold with you?   My hamstrings are tight when I run in the cold.

Lucy - sorry to hear you're still suffering but only one long run left to do and then you're into tapering.    Hopefully those aches and pains will disappear during the taper.

Big G - nice pic, the socks look OK...I've seen a lot worse

bootsie - hope that doesn't spoil your weekend.

28/03/2013 at 13:23

VR - I only saw pic 2nd time I clicked on link.....I thought it was me

28/03/2013 at 13:31
SHADES wrote (see)

Emmy - that's promising news.   Hamstrings may have tightened just because you haven't run, despite the stretching.  Is it still cold with you?   My hamstrings are tight when I run in the cold.

Lucy - sorry to hear you're still suffering but only one long run left to do and then you're into tapering.    Hopefully those aches and pains will disappear during the taper.

Big G - nice pic, the socks look OK...I've seen a lot worse

bootsie - hope that doesn't spoil your weekend.

Hi Shades,

Just a question -what would you recommend for the coming weekend/next week? Should I still take it easy or try for 7-8 miles this weekend.

Edited: 28/03/2013 at 13:32
28/03/2013 at 13:34

The link does seem temperamental - not sure why.  However, VR, you're not missing much and you were lucky enough to see the outfit for real as it is a pic from the wrap up and run event

28/03/2013 at 13:39

Emmy - I think you should still take it easy, a short run and plenty of rest.  

28/03/2013 at 14:11
SHADES wrote (see)

Emmy - I think you should still take it easy, a short run and plenty of rest.  

That I *can* do!

28/03/2013 at 16:26

Shades - I suppose it owuld be too, its not a normal triple though I think its marathon then 30 miles on sat with marathon on sunday. Fairly sure its that way round otherwise its the 30 then the marathon

28/03/2013 at 16:47

How detremental would a week of absolutely no running be to my training at this point in  my schedule.. stitches are killing me and from work i know walking and going up and down stairs is hard enough. think ill leave sub 3 to another marathon attempt..

28/03/2013 at 18:34

bootsie - sorry to hear you're suffering. Have you tried acupuncture? - it helped quite a bit when I had my back injury.

Khani - sounds like you had a refreshing (and warm) break and are now raring to go . Did you not bring some sunshine back in your luggage?

VR - I had to close and click on the link about 5 times before the photo came up.

BG - did your knees not get cold? I've forgotten what it's like to wear shorts and vest . Still very cold here. Went to Cambridge on Monday and one grass verge along the main road was almost clear, while on the other side there were snow drifts about 5 foot high - right up to the edge of the road where it looked like vertical white cliffs had been carved out with a spoon, very surreal .

Lucy - can you walk ok? Instead of running during the week you could try walking (briskly) - still getting exercise and using the muscles.

Someone at our club once asked me what I did about tapering. I replied "I don't run on Saturdays"

28/03/2013 at 19:35
Mowzer - no my knees didn't get cold fortunately.

I got my 20 miles in after work today and it went well, but tired now. I still had last night's session in my legs but averaged 10:13 and was consistent through the run.

Looking forward to the beer festival tomorrow
28/03/2013 at 21:14
Well done on the 20 miles Big G, must feel good to get that out of the way before Easter.

Welcome back, Khani, must be a bit of a shock coming back to this weather.

Off to Yorkshire Dales for a few days and not sure whether I'll have access to the net. My kids are moaning about that already! There is still quite a bit of snow up there but my dad has assured me that the roads are OK. Hmmmmm, not got a great feeling about this and convinced I will get a cold up there!! 22 miles planned for Easter Sunday on what my dad has described as a fairly flat route. Not convinced but will give it a go.

Hope everyone has a good Easter. Shades, think you are wise to avoid driving to Scotland.
29/03/2013 at 00:24
Mowzer quite the opposite sad to say. I can feel a cold coming on for about 5 days but it won't quite appear in full. Mwlr yesterday was hard work... This could mess up my plans for a 22 mile run on Sunday.
29/03/2013 at 06:31
mowzer wrote (see)

Someone at our club once asked me what I did about tapering. I replied "I don't run on Saturdays"

This is why you are a legend!

29/03/2013 at 06:48

Keith - you've got a flat course for your triple and it's only an extra 4 miles!

Iain - you wouldn't lose any of your fitness in one week.  You need that wound to heal.

mowzer - stay away from those 5 foot drifts, we'll lose you in those

slowkoala - enjoy your trip and your long run in new surroundings.

Big G - don't undo too much of that training at the beer festival!

Now I've got over the disappointment of not going to Scotland I can now plan what I'm going to do over the next 4 days.   I have lots of stuff at home that needs doing

29/03/2013 at 08:57

Shades - lol but it is 2 in one day with a gap in the middle which makes it harder. be easy if it was continous. Reminds me can i enter Boston yet? Got a 12 hour PB to thrash.

Soon be heading down that end for the weekend too, not that its any warmer apparrently

29/03/2013 at 13:39
Just about to do my 20 mile lsr. A lot of snow so can only do 3 mile laps, it is so cold so will be hard not to bail out every time I pass my house.

Have you decided on Lancaster yet Shades, I might do that one
29/03/2013 at 15:07

just back from my 20 miler LSR.

goo dup until about 18 miles. then got progressively harder. by the time i stopped the muscles up the inside of my thighs were killing me and felt sort of crampy.

but a good stretch and a shower an i feel much better.

averaged 9:59. reasonably hilly. breezy with the odd flurry of snow, but generally sunny so didn't feel too bad.

so glad that that's it for the really long slow ones now.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.