Shades Marathon Training

60,041 to 60,060 of 67,279 messages
29/03/2013 at 17:43
Just back had to stop at 17.2 as forgot my pals birthday bash tonight. 17 mile = 1700 calories, at about 200 a pint = 8.5 free pints
29/03/2013 at 17:51
Shades how long do you recommend in between long runs. Would Sunday be to soon to do 20 mile. I have a 20 mile planned for next Friday.

I have missed a few long runs and I am going away next sat for a week and when I get back I will be tapering for Manchester on the 28th
29/03/2013 at 22:17

Shades/VR/anyone else - any plans for Florence this year?

PSC    pirate
30/03/2013 at 06:18
It's on my bucket list, but not this year. Too expensive.

Morning Shadies...
30/03/2013 at 06:50

Keith - I didn't realise that the marathon and 30 miler were on the same day, how daft and what is the point of that?  Should be a 50 mile stand alone ulltra and a marathon option for those not wanting to go so far.

S3200H - great discipline doing 3 mile laps for a long run, don't think I would have made it to 17 miles.

Do you mean tomorrow for another 20 miles?   I would say too close, why not drop it to about 13 miles.

Not yet decided about Lancaster.

Sofaboy - well done, you are now in taper

mowzer - re Florence, not good news, Easyjet flights are out this week and we could go from Bristol but we'd have to stay for a week so we'll need to look for alternative airports.   Will discuss with VR next weekend when we're in Ireland.

Morning PSC - hope you and bo-bo are well

30/03/2013 at 08:03

Shades - Well it is a Foxy Enigma event and i'm sure it was someone else who would have asked for it. They were trying to persuade him to do a 100km one around the lake at the quadzilla back in feb. Then they were trying to get me to do it too...

Cant really say how i'll approach it BUT if the weather is good i would imagine i'd finish the first one delibratly slow to minimise time between the two then walk around for a lap just to keep moving.

30/03/2013 at 08:57

Well done peeps on the LSRs this weekend - either planning or done - I'm out for my 22 miler tomorrow - after the clocks go forward - even less time in bed

There's still a few aches and pains out there, GWS .....

PSC    pirate
30/03/2013 at 09:11

hiya Shades - yes, we are both well thanks... still clicking off some longer runs although both of us are now well and truely bored with this weather - I guess we all are!  We are in the middle of a long run fest (by our standards) with 32 miles last weekend, South Downs Mara next weekend then Brighton Mara for me!  Looking forward to them all - although the bursa in my L knee has been grumbling for the last 48 hours so backed right off the running.  I am looking forward to seeing Tracey G at Brighton - anyone else from here going to be there?

Something to chuckle about... I have just persuaded Bobo to throw away her old road shoes.  I discovered that she has been using them (injury free) since London Mara.  Which sounds fine until you realise that it was London 2004! She has done '000s of miles in them and completely worn out the soles!  Anyway her Wave Nirvana 3's have now been thrown away and repalced with a later model of the same shoe!  In fairness she mostly runs off road so it's not all that bad, but even so!!

How are tricks out West?

Happy Easter peeps.

30/03/2013 at 12:58
Good afternoon,

Must read back over the weekend. Ran just short of 2 miles this morning. Had planned 3 but I was race director at parkrun and realised after a mile that I'd left the flag and poles for the funnel in my garage so had to make a quick dash home!

Planning to do around 8 miles tomorrow and then it'll just be a week until the big day! Very excited.

Shades - contemplating changing to 3:45 pen but not 100%. Coach reckons my times are in line with this. I'd be delighted with anything with a 3 at the start! Part of me thinks stick with 4 hours and go off slowly, perhaps getting a chance to pick people off later. Another part of me thinks that with the number of people I should start at the back of the 3:45 pen, and hopefully hold the pace for a bit longer than I have done before; in the past I've always tired and slowed around 20. :-/
30/03/2013 at 16:41
Thanks Shades. Will do 13 tomorrow
31/03/2013 at 07:43

Keith - yes, I can understand peeps wanting a 100km, as it's a good stepping stone to those wanting to try a 100 miler

PSC - I think there's somebody on this thread doing Brighton marathon, say hello to Tracey G for me, not seen her for quite a while..probably Halstead a few years ago.  

LOL at the shoes...you can't complain that your wife is extravagant spending money on shoes

Clag - I agree with your coach, line up at the back of the 3:45 pen, you are well disciplined with your pace during a marathon.   Your training has gone well and you know you are running strongly.

Good luck with VLM runners' last long run today...then you can start to taper and that can be the most stressful part of the training....you have been warned!

31/03/2013 at 10:14

Shades - Er they wanted a 100km race for Spartathlon quali times actually Bloody nutters i know. 12 hours was meant to be the time for the whole thing which may or may not be stretching it for me. Partly why i fancy doing Boston again this year.

In less amusing news the sorta dead leggy feel i have had over the last few weeks seems to be something proper as i now have a achy left quad.... Normally it only 'hurts' when running but i can notice it today too. Feels like a spot of DOMS but i suspect its not actually that but rather something else. Still its an excuse to stay in bed

Perhaps them bloody devonian hills are behind it

31/03/2013 at 14:38
Emmy - I think you're part of a story in print in May 2013's Runner's World (page 60)! Well done!

Shades - I'm pleased to say I didn't go bananas at the beer festival. I did have not one, but two, hog roasts though. At ??2 each, it seemed rude not to

I did a fast 5-miler today and it was still quite cold, but that's Jantastic completed for me
31/03/2013 at 15:23
@Big G - I've heard a few comments about that but I can't get hold of RW here. Could you take a picture of it for me?

Shades - 3 miles this morning and still feeling the IT band. Going to cycle tomorrow as I'm going a bit doolalley just sitting around!

How is everyone else doing?
31/03/2013 at 15:38
Ran 22 miles LSR this morning. Was really tough for the last 2 miles but felt fine to around 18 miles. Pace was circa 10mms (need to download garmin to confirm)

But the thought of 26 miles at 1mm faster seems way off though.

Hope this tapering milarkey works well or I will be struggling for 4 hours.
31/03/2013 at 17:10
Emmy - I'll take a picture when I get home and post it.
31/03/2013 at 18:47
22 miles done on undulating/hilly course. Not used to hills but was not as bad as I had feared. When we started off (my dad came on his bike) it was minus 2 degrees but it soon got warmer. Scenic road route with 2 foot high snow drifts at the side of the road but luckily roads all clear. Average pace was just under 8:20. Did a 4 mile walk this afternoon so knackered now. Let the taper begin...
31/03/2013 at 21:07

Emmy - there is some issue with uploading pictures to RW from my iMac, so I've put a couple of pics on dropbox.  Let me know if you have issues seeing the pictures.

This is a picture of the full page.

This is a picture of a close up of the text.

31/03/2013 at 21:12

Well, that was a toughie . Trail marathon at Delapre Abbey in Northamptonshire. 12 laps of the country park on trail and grass - slightly different course from last year to avoid the worst of the mud (the mud we got was a dryish soft kind where each step depresses about an inch into it!). Good weather, no navigation, no stiles, no hills, but after half way I had to slow down in case I did not finish . 3rd and 2nd from last laps saw me walking quite a bit, but picked it up slightly for the last one. Came in at 4:45 which was 20 mins slower than last year. Very achy legs - calves, hamstrings, outer thighs and backside. Not sure what the problem was. Maybe because I had last weekend off . Also, my usual shotbloks seemed far too sweet and made me feel a bit queasy, might start looking out for something else to use for fuel.

Well done to all those who completed their last LSRuns today

01/04/2013 at 07:38

Keith - yes, I'd like to do Boston again too but won't be this year, I assume it's still on August BH weekend?

I take it your're back in Devon for the weekend

Emmy - have you got ITB problems as well as you're other hip injury?

Rattler - well done on your last long run.

Big G - glad to hear you didn't go OTT with the beer, 2 hog roasts is OK

Slowkoala - that sounds like a lovely run.

mowzer - well done, was that Dave M's event?  I expect your legs ached as there were no hills and flat courses can do that.

I used shotbloks for a while but soon got sick of the taste of them too.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.