Shades Marathon Training

60,061 to 60,080 of 67,241 messages
01/04/2013 at 08:29
Big G - thank you! That's a cracker! They've edited it but its the same article! Not bad! My name is finally in print

Shades - nope - just the high IT band issue. Nothing in my knees. I've got sore hamstrings but that seems to be 'normal'. I went out Saturday and yesterday and have decided to can the run today as it was hurting a bit yesterday and go it for a cycle to explore some new running routes.

1 week until Paris and I'm starting to get nervous. I'm hoping that the excitement of the day will help me.

Mowser - I wish that on a bad day I could crack out a 4.45! It sounds like a tough day (i thought enigma was bad at 7 laps!). Well done for finishing.

I'm another one who's had issues with shot blocks. I used them initially but now i stick to gels and jelly babies.

A friend of mine has decided to ditch Paris she's normally a great running buddy but she wants to stay closer to home this weekend and will run Sussex instead.
01/04/2013 at 08:38

Emmy - nice piece in RW, I hadn't opened my copy...I have now though

Maybe your ITB doesn't like consecutive days of running at the moment, with only a week to go no training will make any difference so short easy runs on alternate days.    Try and not to worry (I know that's easier said than done).

Shame about your friend not going to Paris too.

01/04/2013 at 08:44
Hi Shades,

I had planned 6 miles today with 5 on Thursday to be on the safe side, do you think tues, thurs would be ok or should I stick wed/ fri?

I can't get RW here without a really stupid haulage fees so rarely see them.

Shades - did you manage to find another race to fit in with you race plan?
01/04/2013 at 08:49
Emmy, I'm being a lazy cow! 3 miles Tuesday & Wednesday for me. Possibly 3 miles on Thursday or Friday in Paris, ideally Thursday. Might just not bother if I don't have time.
01/04/2013 at 09:06
Clag - if there's one thing you're not - it's lazy! I saw your post about what to wear.... I must admit - anything below 10'c is long tights weather for me! I'm a wussy southerner!
01/04/2013 at 09:08

Emmy - Tues/Thurs will be fine, but do what suits you, and you can drop the distance to 3 miles as Clag has.

I bin my RW after reading, I'll start saving them for you, then try and get them to whatever race you're doing!  Even if I have to bring a few copies to Berlin

Yes, can find another race, would like to do Newry or Waterford but not sure if I can afford another trip to Ireland, already 8 trips this year, 9 if you include Belfast.  So will probably do Lancaster unless I can find somthing slightly nearer.

01/04/2013 at 09:10

What's the forecast for Paris?

VR and I are doing Connemara, forecast 9 degrees 11mph Southerly winds, should feel good after all this cold weather

01/04/2013 at 09:11

Morning folks, hope you are all well and still enjoying this "warmer" weather. Well i kind of took the docs advice and left any running till sat and i was very happy when i did get out, felt so good to get back on the road after 5 days off. Did an easy 6 miles and then did a comfortable 10 yesterday. Just realised its only 8 weeks away till my marathon so i better get a few more long runs in over the coming weeks.

Shades - whats the best way of pacing myself for my marathon, I tend to set out running and thats how i go for the entire race, I was thinking of trying to do my first half in around 1:40 and then picking up the pace and doing the second half in around 1:20 (which will be quite tough) Thankfully the course is flat. i was thinking of doing a few of my long runs by setting a pace on my garmin and trying to stick to it.

01/04/2013 at 11:07

Iain - good to know you've healed OK and are back running

Re your marathon pace, I think that's too extreme a negative split and hope that's not the pace that you are thinking about setting your Garmin for in your long runs! There's a danger that you could hit a big wall by upping the pace so much for the 2nd half.  For a negative split I would aim nearer completing the 2nd half roughly 5 to 7 mins faster than first half, say 30 secs faster per mile in the 2nd half.

01/04/2013 at 11:39

i do agree that it seems quite extreme but i have never really focused on pacing during a race i have normally acheived what i have by just running. the difference is that this time around i have a target to aim for.. I think i am capable of doing it just dont know what stratagy i should adopt.. last years edinburgh i got to 19 miles in around 2hrs 10 which i felt very comfortable doing. the only thing i did do is relax up until halfway and then picked up the pace which i might of done a little too soon hence the cramps. My main goal this year is to run sub 3:10 in order to get a good for age entry into london next year..

01/04/2013 at 15:27

Hope everyone is having a nice Easter!
Remember those cakes I was going to make? They didn't work out too well! Anyway I made something slightly different. I made about 24 of them to take to a 10k race today and left them behind! DOH!

It was a championship 10k race today so it was asking a bit much from my legs after my marathon on Good Friday. Couldn't quite get a sub 50 due to a nasty cold headwind on the last 2k. Came in at 50. 38.

Looking forward to a more leisurely pace in Ireland on Sunday

01/04/2013 at 16:33
Gratz to you all on some epic runs. I delayed my last long run by a day as I felt a cold was coming on. Ran it today though. 22 miles and I finished stronger than on any of the 20 mile runs I have done. I thinks it's because for the first time in ages I wore my headphones and listened to IMtalk - my favourite podcast. Just goes to show - the mind is a bigger block than the body. I feel I am ready for the marathon now. Just need to shake this almost-cold I've had for the last week
01/04/2013 at 16:53

Hi Khani - great work, you're well set for the VLM, my 22 was a struggle though, doesn't feel good for the VLM prep at all - I couldn't have run any further than 22 miles yesterday and that was at 10mm pace. 

Got 3 weeks to sort it though.

01/04/2013 at 21:15

Rattler - you have nothing to sort out imho. You did all your training over the weeks and months preceeding this final long run. What happens on one run doesn't indicate anything. To put it in to context, every single one of my previous 20 mile runs left me thinking I could not take a single further step. In fact I did not even complete my 20 miler last week. I ran slower than today and felt much worse at the end. Our sample of long runs is just too small to draw any conclusions. You ARE ready for the VLM now in my opinion.

The main thing I have to decide on is my pace at the marathon. 9 min/miles feels a bit too fast. I can run at that pace for a while - i did the reading half marathon at 8 min/mile. However, my concern is that I would blow up around mile 17 with 9 miles left to go. I have no real way to know if it's an achievable pace for me and i won't know until it's too late. I am pretty sure I can finish strong at 10 min/mile though. The difference in time at the end of the day is only 20-30 mins. No one is going to give me a trophy, medal, cash, hot chicks, or even beer for finishing 20 or 30 mins faster. So i'm now asking myself what the point of putting it all out there at full pace is. Why not just do 10 min/miles and enjoy the day? This is the advice I was actually given at the outset. It's taken me almost a year of training to realise how true it is I'm a slow learner lol. Will have to make the decision over the coming 3 weeks. It's competitor khan vs good time khan. I can't say who will win.

01/04/2013 at 21:28

Rattler - Khani is right your long runs dont indicate what your race day will be like, your body will know what its like to do 20 - 22 miles and you can do it. i am guessing this is your first VLM... trust me, by the time you get to 22 miles no matter how tired or sore you are, the support from the crowds lifts your spirits so much that the last little stretch goes quite easily. Ill be on the sidelines again  this yearas i didnt get my place but ill be shouting everyone on...

01/04/2013 at 21:33

Hmmm - makes sense - although I still want to do sub 4 hours, but like you, I don't want to kill myself pushing for it. 

Maybe divide the VLM up into 4 x ~10k and start at 9mm for first 10k and check form/tiredness levels ater 1 hour or so? and the adjust as necessary? 

You down in Frimley for a MWR this Thurs or next week? 

01/04/2013 at 21:58
Rattler I am down next Thurs (11th). I have a 12-1 but so far have no other meetings booked. Lets nail a time and I'll put it down as a meeting

I don't mind killing myself trying for a sub-4. My fear is that I blow up and take 6 hrs to do it
02/04/2013 at 07:16

Iain - well there is no right or wrong and you have to run in a way that will suit you, you know where your strengths and weaknesses are.   I still make changes to the way i run a marathon even after all this time......

18 years today since I ran my first marathon

Khanivore - what a brilliant posting of yours re marathon pacing.  

Light frost today but no wind, I think the weather is starting to improve.

And you'll all be pleased to know that I'll be helping VR out with her excess of cakes...she's kindly offered to drop them off to my work this morning

02/04/2013 at 08:11

VR - great 10k time

Rain now forecast for Conne, hope that changes.  Might reproof my jacket just in case

02/04/2013 at 08:51

Hope not! It was sunny last year.
Don't eat too many of those cakes! Remember we still need to get a good for age time.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.