Shades Marathon Training

60,081 to 60,100 of 67,663 messages
02/04/2013 at 08:54

Morning all, hope you all had a lovely easter!!

Too much indulgence here and still no running but legs are very rested for when I do start again!

02/04/2013 at 09:07
SHADES wrote (see)

And you'll all be pleased to know that I'll be helping VR out with her excess of cakes...she's kindly offered to drop them off to my work this morning

I'm jealous!

02/04/2013 at 09:16

so, this cold weather is going to be with us for another week at least. yay....

better bloody warm up by the 21st or i'll be complaining to the management.

02/04/2013 at 09:31

I've been complaining to the management for months! They dont listen!

02/04/2013 at 09:33

It's still freezing here but we have a really cold wind that really chills you to the bone Am hoping that it warms up for paris this weekend.

02/04/2013 at 09:37

i'm thinking that a marathon somewhere like the maldives or st lucia might have been a better idea than london....

02/04/2013 at 11:15
Emmy, can't believe Paris is this weekend - that has come around so quickly. Hope you recover from your niggles in the final week of tapering.

Realised this morning that my long run on Sunday was 'undulating' not hilly. Attempted a 5 mile recovery run from outside the cottage and that was proper hilly! Managed 4.5 miles but was a bit hairy coming down the hills as the roads were covered in ice in parts. So glad that VLM will be flat but can see how people who run on lots of hills probably have stronger legs.
02/04/2013 at 11:35

Hope everyone had a Good Easter

Good luck with Paris Emmy.

Well done on the 22milers, now taper time . Pacing for the Marathon is very hard, but think sub 4 is do-able for both Khani & Rattler off recent half times, certainly won't be easy though. If going for it then imo it's really really important to keep that pace under control for the first 25miles ! then you can go for it.

Actually managed to put the mountain bike in the car this morning for a ride tonight, first bit of excercise for me in 3 weeks !! Will give it another 2-3 weeks before running again though.

02/04/2013 at 11:46

Emmy best of luck with paris!

02/04/2013 at 12:03

VR - well done on your speedy 10k .

Shades - Happy Marathon Anniversary . Sunday was Northants Running Festival (Go Beyond Ultra) not Dave M's. Did Round the Reservoir twice last year - OK course, but didn't care too much for the stretch where you could hear the traffic constantly and I hated the stile. From the approach side it was just far too high for me and I had to haul myself up each time. We were going to do it in reverse the next day, meaning a slope down to the stile so it wasn't so high, but because people had problems with their navigation (laps round and round ) we didn't and I had to do it all over again...and again....

Rattler - when I did a 22 mile LSR before my first marathon my daughter came out to run the last couple of miles with me. By that time I had almost ground to a halt and she had to bully me into staggering onwards instead of sinking into a blubbering heap on the towpath. Marathon was fine, though my main goal was to finish (I doubled my half time and added an hour and was more than happy when I came in right on time, don't think I could have gone any faster). Meant I was able to get a 20 mins pb next time and more importantly that I looked forward to the next marathon ... and the next ..... You've done all the training and you've left your 'bad run' behind. Much better than having speedy training and then blowing up on the day. On the day the full distance will be programmed into your mind - and you're all so competitive..... Whenever I run I have my daughter's words ringing in my ears "DNF is NOT an option".

02/04/2013 at 12:09

Emmy - are you off to Paris early?

VLM runners - don't forget you might need to allow for a couple of extra minutes for a pit-stop on route .

Did you see the recent news article about the young female Sherpa who summited Everest twice in 8 days? I loved her quote: "It's very hard for women like me to climb Everest because there are no proper toilets."

02/04/2013 at 12:11

Khani, Shades, KK, Iain and Mowzer - thanks for the advice re Marathon pacing, it's a tricky one for sure.

I'm very competitive by nature, so want to achieve the very best time I can and sub-4 is a big target for me, but I need to be realistic too. I really want to enjoy it and not crash and burn.

My current thoughts (feedback welcome) are that the start will be so packed / busy that 10mm may be realistic in traffic for first 5k (3-4miles) or so, so will have a steady start whether I want it or not. Then I can up pace a bit (circa 9mm) for the next 5k and see where I am (pace & feel) at 10k mark (quarter distance).   

Then if all OK, stick with 9mm for second 10k (Q2), 3rd 10K (Q3) - this will get me back closer to the average 9.09 required for 4 hours. Then if I still feel OK, stick with 9mm for the last quarter ?? if I don't feel great or not on track at any of these stages, back off and enjoy the ride ??? 

Or is this just too scientific? And life's not like that ???

Edited: 02/04/2013 at 12:12
02/04/2013 at 12:15
mowzer wrote (see)

Emmy - are you off to Paris early?

VLM runners - don't forget you might need to allow for a couple of extra minutes for a pit-stop on route .

Did you see the recent news article about the young female Sherpa who summited Everest twice in 8 days? I loved her quote: "It's very hard for women like me to climb Everest because there are no proper toilets."

Hey Mowser - Nope. I'm heading over Saturday morning. I'm working the entire week and i'm trying to get in as much rest as possible.

I've heard lots of good things about DaveM's run but the sound of the stile doesnt sound great! What's your next one?

02/04/2013 at 12:20
Sofaboy wrote (see)

i'm thinking that a marathon somewhere like the maldives or st lucia might have been a better idea than london....

Maldives marathon would be a LOT of laps

02/04/2013 at 12:49

Rattler, i'm sticking with you mate. if i come in at 3:59:59 i'll be absolutely stoked.

02/04/2013 at 13:08

@Sofaboy  - I agree

In Motorbike Racing the saying was - "if you're not crashing, you're not trying !! " 

Or Churchill - "if you're going through Hell, keep going" 

Or maybe a Rattler quote - "it may be my true purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others" !! :0

02/04/2013 at 13:32

VR - oh yes, that GFA time, think I'll have a go in the autumn...how about you?

bootsie - good news that yur legs are rested and ready to get back into training

Emmy - VR's cakes are delicious, I'm officially the most popular person at work today, and she's making lemon drizzle cake for Friday when we're travelling to Galway.

Slowkoala - stay away from that ice!  I prefer to run a marathon on an undulating route than on a dead flat route, my legs ache without any variance in form.

KK - you've been really patient,

Mowzer - I got dizzy reading that.

You forgot to mention that since your first couple of marathons you now hold a club record and have a GFA time with a huge margin

Rattler - it's good to have a Plan A and a Plan B, don't have any more than that, marathon running weakens the memory and you wouldn't be able to remember a Plan C!

02/04/2013 at 13:54

lol shades.. not sure when they will be ready for as foot pain keeps kicking in but back to the physio this week hopefully! if not early next week

02/04/2013 at 14:11

Lol! at lack of memory! Marathons definitely mess with your head. not that I need an excuse! 
Glad the cakes are gone! Not my best but The best is yet to come.

I suppose we have to target a race then for our good for age. Berlin? Probably too crowded.
Have a look and see.

Mowser - I remember that route at Northampton. Bit boring wasn't it. I fell over that style on the last lap.

02/04/2013 at 14:15
Rattler Rattler wrote (see)

My current thoughts (feedback welcome) are that the start will be so packed / busy that 10mm may be realistic in traffic for first 5k (3-4miles) or so, so will have a steady start whether I want it or not. Then I can up pace a bit (circa 9mm) for the next 5k and see where I am (pace & feel) at 10k mark (quarter distance).   

Then if all OK, stick with 9mm for second 10k (Q2), 3rd 10K (Q3) - this will get me back closer to the average 9.09 required for 4 hours. Then if I still feel OK, stick with 9mm for the last quarter ?? if I don't feel great or not on track at any of these stages, back off and enjoy the ride ??? 

I'm interested in this  I still have a 22-miler to do before my marathon in May, so I'm hoping that goes well and I'm still thinking 9min/mile will be too quick for me for 26 miles.

The only thing I can add is that as you know that the start will be packed try not to weave in and out too much as it's tiring!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.