Shades Marathon Training

60,101 to 60,120 of 66,189 messages
02/04/2013 at 14:11

Lol! at lack of memory! Marathons definitely mess with your head. not that I need an excuse! 
Glad the cakes are gone! Not my best but The best is yet to come.

I suppose we have to target a race then for our good for age. Berlin? Probably too crowded.
Have a look and see.

Mowser - I remember that route at Northampton. Bit boring wasn't it. I fell over that style on the last lap.

02/04/2013 at 14:15
Rattler Rattler wrote (see)

My current thoughts (feedback welcome) are that the start will be so packed / busy that 10mm may be realistic in traffic for first 5k (3-4miles) or so, so will have a steady start whether I want it or not. Then I can up pace a bit (circa 9mm) for the next 5k and see where I am (pace & feel) at 10k mark (quarter distance).   

Then if all OK, stick with 9mm for second 10k (Q2), 3rd 10K (Q3) - this will get me back closer to the average 9.09 required for 4 hours. Then if I still feel OK, stick with 9mm for the last quarter ?? if I don't feel great or not on track at any of these stages, back off and enjoy the ride ??? 

I'm interested in this  I still have a 22-miler to do before my marathon in May, so I'm hoping that goes well and I'm still thinking 9min/mile will be too quick for me for 26 miles.

The only thing I can add is that as you know that the start will be packed try not to weave in and out too much as it's tiring!

02/04/2013 at 16:17

So my taper seems to be more about injury recovery 

I got over my knee niggle and did the 14 mile run as my first LSR of the taper period on  Saturday. Felt fine for the rest of the day and Sunday morning and then all of a sudden I get a pain in my foot.

Anyway, I'm resting it and am not running until it's better. However, I'm considering not running again until the day because I'm worried that if I do, I'll get another niggle or something. Is that a wise thing to do and if so, will not running for two weeks affect me on the day? As before, I'm not aiming for the pace my half suggests I could do, I'd just be happy with 3:59:59 or maybe under 4:30.

02/04/2013 at 16:27

Looks like ill have to make quite a few posters with all of you that are running london..Rattler, the start of london for me was something i wasnt prepared for. Iwas in the blackheath side of the roundabout on the blue start and the first 5k took us 40 min to do because of the sheer number of people and the bottlenecking of the barriers. things slowly picked up from there.

Well my other half has booked a sports massage for me so ill get it done next monday after my long run sunday. could be interesting.

Is anyone else doing edinburgh this year?

I have already started thinking about my next marathon attempt, The Kent Coastal marathon. has anyone done it? i entered last year but had to withdraw cause of injury..

02/04/2013 at 17:26

If Maldives is a no go, how about Honolulu? Mind you, I did a 6km race on the beach yesterday and I was rubbish!It took me 5 mins more than what it would have taken on the road! My feet were just sinking and sliding.

London - I did it last year and I found it harder weaving at the end rather than the beginning.  It wasn't too bad at the start but at the end people just stopped or started walking all of a sudden and it's hard when you're tired trying to avoid them.

02/04/2013 at 17:37

VR - they loved your cakes at work and were full of praise for your cooking.

Re the GFA, Berlin is very fast but I think fairly crowded now and probably too flat for us.   Haven't really planned much after IOM but Dublin would always be a good target race....so would Florence if we could get there

sleaver - what sort of pain in your foot?  Does it hurt when you walk?

molly - I agree, London is so tiring because you have to watch where you're going all the time to avoid queues and bottlenecks and discarded bottles etc.   What's your next marathon, are you doing Paris?

Iain - I don't think anyone from this thread is doing Edinburgh.   Kent Coastal is on my to do list but again I think it clashes with a race I do in Ireland.

Now the wind has dropped this afternoon, it's sunny and temp is up to double figures...but only just, is gonna be frosty again though tonight.

02/04/2013 at 18:05

Shades - manchester is the next one (i think you're doing a different one on the same day April 28th).

It's 7pm here in Italy - and it's nearly dark already. I was really hoping I could run home in daylight now but it's raining and dusk

02/04/2013 at 18:05

Hi SHADES - looking for a bit of advice from an experienced marathoner.

Managed to obtain a VLM place through the 5 rejections and started training eager with enthusiasm 7 months ago, managing to get up to 30+ miles a week, long runs 10/12 miles.

Then the rubbish weather hit and training became more sporadic over the next four months, sometimes once a week, sometimes more. A fortnight ago I managed a 15 mile run with no ill effects and a few other runs as well.

With only 2 weeks to go this sunday is it advisable to go out and try a longer run of say 18 miles, or is that being a bit daft so close to the event.

02/04/2013 at 18:20
SHADES wrote (see)

sleaver - what sort of pain in your foot?  Does it hurt when you walk?

On Sunday when it started out of the blue, it hurt on the ball of my foot and down the underside to my little toe. Yesterday it was just the ball of my foot and pretty much the same today. But yes it does hurt but not so much that I can't walk.

It seems it's right at the back of the ball of my foot but at the moment, I assume because I've been walking, the middle of my arch feels tight.

I was rolling it on a ball yesterday so I'll try doing that some more. I cat toy was the hardest ball I could find though and the cat's weren't impressed when they could hear this bell jingling all the time!

I'm breaking in new shoes as my old ones were gone but I was on the third run and felt nothing from the first two, I've never had this before and as above, I was fine until it suddenly came out of the blue. The only other thing that changes was the make of socks I wore. Oh, and the sun shining for once 

02/04/2013 at 18:29
marathon molly wrote (see)

Shades - manchester is the next one (i think you're doing a different one on the same day April 28th).

It's 7pm here in Italy - and it's nearly dark already. I was really hoping I could run home in daylight now but it's raining and dusk

It shows the difference being a little further north. It's 7.30pm and still bright as day 

@Shades - What about Frankfurt? Normally easy to get to. It's 27th October this year if i'm correct

02/04/2013 at 20:21

Emmy - hadn't realised Paris was this weekend coming!!  Glad to hear that injury seems to have sorted itself out in time. Will you be wearing anything instantly recognisable.. fluorescent socks, novelty headband etc..?! Never know, will be watching it on tv and might get a glimpse of you! Good luck  

02/04/2013 at 21:10

Hey Mamafox! I'll be wearing this lovely top. Likely with a cap on and with a green wristband.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/392676_853249580850_2071898335_n.jpg

I've been told that lots of Brits wear them.

03/04/2013 at 07:16

molly - sorry I forgot you were doing Manchester, supposed to be a very fast course.

As with Emmy, light here last night until nearly 8pm

Weelsy - I think you've left it too late to try and squeeze an 18 mile run now, the problem is you may not recover enough from it.  I would suggest another 15 miler this weekend, then 10 miles the weekend before the race.   Good luck, take it easy on race day.

sleaver - could be a some bruising to the ball of the foot or plantar facilitis...which is not good news.   If you still have nearer race day you may want to strap the foot up and see if that helps.

Emmy - I'm in Dublin that weekend.   Pity as there are now flights to Frankfurt from Bristol.

Chilly east wind again today but going to be another nice day I think

03/04/2013 at 08:34

sleaver.. might be worth going to see a podiatrist before you spend too much on physios etc? they are good with the feet!

went for a walk last night and a swim this morning.. if i can't run i shall find a way to make myself think i'm training..

horse riding tonight and then some strength training in the gym

03/04/2013 at 08:37

Shades - That's a shame. Although Frankfurt is on Sunday, Dublin is on Monday

Bootsie - How is your horse coming along?

03/04/2013 at 08:58

Shades - Thanks for the advice. I was rolling my foot on a ball last night and it seems to have helped. I can put all my weight on it and walking was easier today in that I could only feel it if I put my heal down first.

If I didn't run until the day to protect it, would not running for two weeks have a big impact? Also any advice on strapping or should I take a trip over to the Injury forum for that?

bootsie - Thanks for the advice as well. Is there any good way of finding a good person to visit or is it a case of Google and reading reviews?

03/04/2013 at 09:06

where are you based? The other forums seem to have some good advice on there.  I have been to one in sevenoaks, she was ok but i wouldn't say she was brilliant as I seem to have reoccuring issues

03/04/2013 at 13:22

Emmy - LOL, but I don't want to do any more doubles etc and I love my long weekend in Dublin every October for the marathon

sleaver - Without diagnosing the injury correctly I wouldn't know whether not running for 2 weeks would cure it nor what sort of strapping you could use, so yes I think you need to consult the injury forums.   There are lots of good websites try this one http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/7652450/injuries-sports-injuries-injury-treatment-inju.htm

bootsie -I'm not sure of the way forward with your injury problems

03/04/2013 at 13:28

Shades - Sorry, just re-read my post. I meant impact on my performance on the day (assuming my foot has healed)? Obviously I would be well rested so for example from a fitness point of view etc.

03/04/2013 at 13:33

me either!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.