Shades Marathon Training

60,121 to 60,140 of 67,862 messages
03/04/2013 at 17:14

S3200H - Yeah, same trainers, even the same version. Only other change was socks and I can't think that would have been the cause. Unless the elasticated bit around the arch was tighter on the old socks.

03/04/2013 at 18:22

sleaver - no you wouldn't lose any fitness...unless you spent all the time getting drunk and eating masses of junk food.

It's most likely to be an overuse injury caused by an increase in mileage due to marathon training, or it can be totally non running related.   I sprained my ankle once getting out of my car quickly and didn 't realise I had damaged my ankle until I ran a marathon the following day, couldn't run for 7 weeks after that

molly - I'm sure you can knock at least 5 mins off your Rome time

03/04/2013 at 21:03
marathon molly wrote (see)

Shades - manchester is supposed to be fast...pity my legs aren't. i'll be happy if I can knock 5 minutes off Rome.

Emmy - I'm sure you'll have a great time in paris, I loved Paris mara

Frankfurt could be a good one actually...there are ryanair flights from Pescara so it could be a cheapie weekend.

Thanks Molly I'm a little nervous about this one. I did 4painless miles and it was good.

I'm already signed up for Frankfurt

03/04/2013 at 21:15
Just back from my 21 mile lsr. Really enjoyed it. Agv 9min miles, fuel was 350ml high5 4:1 engery dring and a jelly baby at 8,10,12,15 and 17 miles. Think that will be my last long run before Manchester as away next week.

What is the longest run you would do on the 14th with the race on the 28th? Was thinking 17

Molly it is flat but I find it harder running on the flat must be in my head though
03/04/2013 at 23:29
Well done on the 21 miles, S32, must feel good to get that under your belt.

Emmy, 4 painless miles sounds good. When are you off to Paris?

Did 8 miles today on a lovely scenic route. The sun was shining and for the first time in weeks, felt like I should have worn shorts not tights. Still in the Dales and was very careful on our snowy walk this afternoon. Everyone else fell over in the snow and/or mud but somehow managed to stay upright!

Shades, my running club have a 10k challenge this Saturday. Do you think this would be OK to run if I don't race it? I could run it at marathon pace or just treat it as an easy run.
03/04/2013 at 23:38
Today's easy pace run was in snow flurries... Wtf?
04/04/2013 at 07:13

S3200H - how very disciplined you are with the jelly babies..LOL

Re the 14th, you don't need to go that far unless you want to, 14 miles is enough

slowkoala - sounds like you're having a lovely time in the Dales.

Re your 10k, you can race it if you want, a 10k is a good sharpener.   But if you don't want to race it then run as you feel.

Khanivore - crazy weather, is going to warm up next week and I bet on VLM day it'll be a scorcher!

Bitter NE wind this morning, could hardly bear to run into the headwind.

Edited: 04/04/2013 at 07:14
04/04/2013 at 07:36
Slowkoala wrote (see)

Emmy, 4 painless miles sounds good. When are you off to Paris?

Hi Slowkoala - I leave saturday morning and return late sunday night. Well done on the nice run - SHORT weather?! I think I need to move closer to you! Our weather is similar to Shades at the moment.

04/04/2013 at 07:53
Thanks for advise re 10k Shades, I'll see how I feel come Saturday.

Emmy, good luck for Paris. Hope you get a good day weather wise. It's still cold up here, but when the sun comes out and the wind keeps still, it could almost be Spring ( if you ignore the snow!) Back down South today where seems to be a lack of sun.

Khani, I keep thinking I should keep wearing base layer so I get used to running when it's warmer as I'm sure 21st April will be a scorcher!
04/04/2013 at 08:03
I have worn base layer shorts and t-shirt for months now. I've only done one run without them - that was my lsr in California, yes I even wore them in my shorter runs in Cali lol I am also very glad I have a winter buff - has the polartech stuff along the bottom. I also run wearing TWO pairs of gloves and knee length compression socks under my Ron hill full length bottoms. I wear a full length thick saucony running top too. I'm generally quite toasty when I run lol.
04/04/2013 at 08:04
I ate a cup cake at 3am. Oops.
04/04/2013 at 08:16
Khanivore wrote (see)
I ate a cup cake at 3am. Oops.

In your sleep?

04/04/2013 at 08:25
Got up especially to eat it. Was dreaming about it all afternoon. Resisted (ate a bunch of chocolate instead). Looked at it when I got home. Even picked it up... But resisted. Cracked at 3am after dreaming about it. Went down and ate it.
04/04/2013 at 08:28
Morning all,

Just popped in to say cheerio. Off to Paris today. Feeling as ready as I'll ever be & will report back in due course. Thanks to all for your support & encouragement, and to Shades for the reassurance (even when I did ask the same thing 10 minutes ago!!)

Good luck to anyone else racing this weekend.
04/04/2013 at 08:30
Good luck mate!
04/04/2013 at 08:42

Best of luck Clag and enjoy!!

04/04/2013 at 08:42

khanivore.. i had a similar incident with a sausage roll one day.. learned from my mistake.. now if I get the craving I give in, otherwise i eat much more of other bad stuff and still give in eventually anyway!!

Clag, best of luck! enjoy the race

10 mins on the treadmill done last night.. could feel niggles but no real pain came out so will try again tonight maybe and see how that goes!

snow here again today.. its getting odd not to be surprised to see it!

04/04/2013 at 08:47
Bootsie you are right about the benefits of caving in early. I must say I am really impressed with your discipline re your injury. Hope you are past it soon.
04/04/2013 at 08:59
Good luck for Paris Clag, hope you have a great race.

LOL re 3am cupcake. I'm with Bootsie on giving in to cravings. My weakness is chocolate and now I have finished off all mine, I shall probably start on my kids' Easter stashes soon as they get loads!
04/04/2013 at 09:05

good luck Clag.

really struggling to find the motivation to run.

still doing a couple a week (the long ones thankfully), plus a double squash session. hopefully all the hard work i did put in over the summer and autumn building up a base fitness level will help come the 21st....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.