Shades Marathon Training

60,181 to 60,200 of 66,920 messages
07/04/2013 at 23:15
Slowkoala wrote (see)
Toenail advise needed...I seem to have developed a blister behind my second toe. The nail isn't discoloured and it doesn't hurt yet when I run but the toe is slightly swollen and when I press on it I do feel pain. Should I try and treat this or go to a podiatrist or should I just ignore it? I'm concerned that if it's a blister it may get worse unless it is popped...

I get that too quite often after a long run but my nails go black.. I tend to leave it for a few days and if i do see the blister i gently pop it to remove the pressure, Alot of times it is filled with blood but its never bad enough to stop me running..

08/04/2013 at 07:08
Thanks for the advise, Ian. I put a needle just behind the nail and some fluid come out which has made it feel a bit better. I think there is still some fluid there but don't want to start piercing the nail as I'm sure it's fine to run on as it is. So will stop fussing now. Hope you are feeling better. I think you were right now to run yesterday. Sometimes you have to go with instinct rather than a rule re above/below chest.

Fellow VLMers - less than 2 weeks now...! Think I will go mad soon, that's if my family don't strangle me first
08/04/2013 at 07:31

Morning everyone! Well done Clag - a fab time! Was closely watching on tv and looks as if you had perfect weather conditions and lots of support. I would definitely avoid ANY frenchman speaking to you though - I fell into that trap and ended up marrying one!

My magic "click" that physio did to my back sadly did not work - Bootsie I dream of being able to run 12 mins.. I can only do a granny jog for 1min 30s before I have to stop! KK, sympathise with you too - one month no running too for me.

VLM in two weeks... excitement must be building! Just all look after yourselves and don't do anything that could result in an injury (Wrap yourselves up, stay inside with loads of carbs and the remote control!!)

08/04/2013 at 07:42
Iain, that should have read '...think you were right NOT to run...'

Mamfox, what a pain that the click didn't make it better. You must be so frustrated. What does the physio recommend now, more rest? I guess sometimes our bodies need longer to rest than we would like and sometimes we can't speed up the process.

I think this taper business is going to send me over the edge. On the tube, I was eyeing up the badges people wear saying 'Baby on board' so they can get a seat and started thinking that marathon runner should have badges for seats too!
Edited: 08/04/2013 at 07:43
08/04/2013 at 08:12
Slowkoala - glad the pressure has been taken off your toe a bit. I hate not running cause of a cold but i don't want to hinder myself... training for this marathon had been so on off that in starting to get worried i haven't done enough..my speed is fine and upto 15 miles i am ok but more then that i fear i am unprepared.. i have 6 weeks left so kill try get at least 3 more long runs in or maybe 4. I just don't want to crash and burn at 19 like i did last year..
08/04/2013 at 08:32
Did not do my lsr yesterday and will now gave to so it at 8pm in the dark after work Not happy!
08/04/2013 at 11:22

morning all .. Khanivore.. just think how good you will feel after!

Iain you will do great

Clag! well done

08/04/2013 at 11:49
Clag - was a shame not to see you I understand about wanting to stay in the warm! Well done on a cracking race!

The race was great for me. My hip started hurting at 10 miles and I was getting very worried but taking it a little easier and some painkillers worked well. A friend I ran with had a few knee issues so we walked for a bit until she got her knee strapped and then we just enjoyed the route and chatted to everyone. I'll upload some pics later on and I think you can see how much fun we had en route

I had such a great time and loved every single second. It's now become my favourite marathon. I had a great celebration in Paris with some forumites and came home late last night.

If you want a great marathon - head to Paris.

RE: getting over the line - we were at the back and it took 1 hr not very good but it managed to allow the course to flow easily.

How did everyone's run go this weekend?
08/04/2013 at 13:09

emmy well done!! soundsl ike a great place to be

08/04/2013 at 13:16

Well done Clag & Emmy. I know what you mean about those underpasses! glad you both had a good time!

Slowkoala - I tend to pop blisters straightaway

It's my birthday today but I've been in floods of tears since I opened my dad's card and my mum's name wasn't on it. Pretty obvious but it really upset me. I did a 30km on Sat and will run home from work this evening to let some good mood vibes start working for me!

08/04/2013 at 13:30
Well done everyone on your races... happy birthday Molly.
08/04/2013 at 13:32

((((Molly))))) Happy birthday x

08/04/2013 at 13:36
Molly happy birthday. Your post has left me feeling really emotional, I hope it gets more bearable, if not easier, with the passage of time. You poor thing

Emmy well done another marathon. Almost scared to ask when the next one is as I'm guessing it is only a few days away - you seem to do so many!
08/04/2013 at 13:42
Meeting cancelled - means I can get home and attend my conference call (which I listen in on and don't talk on) while running. With any luck I will be home before the vampires can come out and get me.

I'm seriously in the danger zone right now.

- running less due to taper so feeling fidgety - I tend to snack when it is like this
- wife and kids are away so the house is silent - I tend to snack when it is like this
- (happy/excited) nervous about the marathon - I tend to snack when it is like this
- lots of work to do - I tend to snack when it is like this

THERE ARE A DOZEN CUPCAKES IN THE FRIDGE!!!

danger danger danger!
08/04/2013 at 13:50
Khani ill pop on over and help you worth the cupcakes. So envious of all you VLM runners...god luck to you all. I'll be there on the side lines shouting you all on...
08/04/2013 at 13:54
I'm seriously considering sipping a free Lucozade every 5 miles at the VLM instead of taking the high 5 gels every 45 mins. This will cover me for fluids and energy and seems better than taking gels. Any thoughts?
08/04/2013 at 13:56
Iain you better hurry Don't see them lasting very long
08/04/2013 at 14:05

i'm wondering the same thing. i used my mixed gel/water bottles on the silverstone 1/2 and they were great. those combined with some jelly babies in my runnnig belt pocket and the isotonics on offer meant i was fine energywise. although it was only a 1/2.

i think i might take the belt with bottles and jelly babies on it. if i don't use it all, it's not an issue.

i don't mind carrying stuff on a belt, but carrying water bottles all the way round training runs, distracts me. of course you don't have that problem in a race as you just throw them away. but now i've got used to using my gel/water. hmmmm, tricky.

as i say,  think i'll take the gel bottles and if i need to top up en route with lucozade, i can.

08/04/2013 at 14:06

Molly - Happy birthday  - must be an emotional time for you xx

Emmy - well done on having a good marathon in spite of your injury worries - it sounds like you had a good time, looking forward to seeing those photos!

Khani - lol - Personally I would eat a cupcake at every 5 miles, much more enjoyable!

08/04/2013 at 14:28

I'm looking to use both Lucozade Sport (sipping as I go along) and Lucozade Elite Gels every 45 mins.

I've been practicing this on my long runs and it seems I haven't been drinking enough (I'm a sweaty git).

It'll be blisteringly hot (most likley as all my training has been in the freezing cold!!) - so will need to keep my hydration levels up.

I'll be wired!!!!! 

Happy Birthday Molly - take care.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.