Shades Marathon Training

60,401 to 60,420 of 66,165 messages
16/04/2013 at 08:47
I have a really poor PDF of it and I think I may buy it at some point. It seems to make a lot of sense.
16/04/2013 at 08:54
Big_G. I agree running for charity is tough as the extra pressure of raising money is almosttoo much. Thankfully for Edinburgh i only need to find 500.
16/04/2013 at 08:59

i'm most of the way to my £2000. i'm at about £1700 i think still with a good few "dead-cert" donators yet to do their thing.

it is hard to get the money together and it'd definitely been an extra stress. but also quite fun and really does your belief in human nature some good. i ran a pub quiz and raffle at my local last week and the turnout and general goodwill has been really moving. every local business i asked put in a prize and come the night, the pub was absolutely packed.

the standing ovation i got once i'd announced the winners, handed out prizes and had signed off for the night almost made me cry.

not sure i'd do it again, but i'm glad i've done it this time.

as an aside, i think it makes a HUGE difference if it is for a charity you actually have some emotional stake in yourself.

16/04/2013 at 09:58

Sofaboy - well done on your fundraising efforts and the pub quiz sounds like it was a big success!  It sounds like it added an extra element for your training and event, which is great news.

I too ran for charity in 2010 and looking back (isn't hindsight a wonderful thing!?) I should have pulled out of the event due to injury.  I think the fact that most of the people had donated in advance (as is usually the way these days, via JustGiving etc) was what was the issue for me.  Also at the time I genuinely thought I'd only ever do one marathon (and so far, that is still the case!) so I remember thinking that it had to be London.

Have you got your race vest/shirt with your name printed on?  It helped me as the crowds shouted "Go Big G" to me as I staggered past

16/04/2013 at 10:01

To all those going to the expo in the next few days have a fab time.

Boston makes me so angry, I wish I could afford to go next year so I could show those cowards that we do not live in fear.

16/04/2013 at 10:02

I went out running in my charity shirt iwth my name on it on Sunday - a dress rehearsal. Had several people screaming my name out at me while they drove past plus one group of builders who woofed like dogs (second time that has happened and i'm wondering if it is the same crew).

16/04/2013 at 10:03
Ill have my name oin my vest but Edinburgh isn't as crowd friendly.. there is almost no crowd support from mile 9 till about mile 22 which makes it a very tough race psychologicaly.. i loved London and hope to get a place next year.
16/04/2013 at 10:08

Khani - I remember training around my local roads as a "dress rehearsal" and cars tooting their horns, people stopping and clapping etc.  It's brought a smile to my face remembering that actually

16/04/2013 at 10:11

just a really sad day seeing all those pictures from Boston.. hope they find who did this and soon.  There is no reasoning for something like this

With the physio this mroning.  He thinks its a flare up of this central sensitization thing again so is just telling me to rule everything out this week and then see if the pain eases.. all on my left hand side of my body now from head, back, arm and leg.. not too impressed to be honest

16/04/2013 at 10:14

Just checking in now in case I don't get another chance before Sunday to say thanks very much to Shades for the plan. I can't believe I only have 1 more training run left before the VLM.  

I got my name put on my running vest yesterday and was feeling excited and nervous but then last night's events in Boston have really put a dampener on things. Really can't believe the mindlessness of targeting a marathon. Having lived in London during some of bombings, I am also pretty defiant and I expect like a lot of people feel that there is no way that terrorists are going ruin the race.  

I have had a chuckle about your checklists Khani and Sofaboy. I feel horribly disorganised at the moment. Have being trying to get early nights but the smallest child is not letting me at the moment. I've told my husband he is dealing with him later on in the week!

I am going to the expo on Thursday afternoon and will pick up pacing band/s there. Not sure what else – maybe swing over to the RW stand and see the pacing team. I've got gels organised and my kit is basically there unless it turns into a heatwave in which case I'll have to rethink.

Iain – it would be such a shame if your friend wasn't able to run or defer – I got a charity place and I'm pretty sure I could defer to next year. The money I had raised would be rolled over so I wouldn't have had to raise it all again. 

Sofaboy – I've reached my target but only had to raise £1500 – on around £1700 at the moment. Sounds like you will get there though. Well done on the charity evening it sounded fantastic - must have taken a lot of organising. I have been overwhelmed by people donating lots of money – some I haven't seen since I went to school and who don't and have never lived in the UK, but through facebook have seen my posts and donated £100! My work will also match some of it so I knew that if I could raise £1000 I would make it to £1500. Still trying to push for some more though. There should be an article in my local paper tomorrow with the website link so I will see if that brings any more in.

Slowkoala – you must live close-ish to me. Also no tube line working this weekend. Honestly – you would think they would have all lines working for marathon weekend. Anyway, I can get the Central line in but more hassle as I have to get to a different station and harder for my husband who will be going in with 3 kids, one of whom is in a buggy.  

I'm already thinking about doing another one, although not for a while, for similar reasons to Sofaboy. Having said that, I'm going to apply through the ballot for next years VLM - probably won't get in anyway. I think I want to target a sub 2hr half next. I most definitely will not be doing an ultra…Shades – you are a mad lady.

16/04/2013 at 13:14

Louey - that's a great posting.  Good luck for Sunday and don't forget to come back next week and tell us how it went.

Khanivore - I hope you're pacing yourself with those sponge puddings

Big G - that's promising after your run, hope the physio is able to reassure you.

Iain - you will get that GFA so can do London next year if you want

16/04/2013 at 13:18

KV - maybe you should give the 9:00 pacer a bag of confectionery products to run along with, telling him to give you one for every mile that you keep up with him for.

you'll be 26 miles down the road before you know it.

i might do the same with chicken satay sticks. although i'd need to be careful not to trip and accidently stab myself through the roof of the mouth with a cocktail stick.

we're sorted.

16/04/2013 at 13:18
Louey- my friend had decided not to run this year as is in a lot of pain and feels it could do more damage if he ran on it. For some reason the charity said he can't defer his place. It might be because it was a charity place through work so they might not have places next year. As far as fundraising goes i Am finding it tough as people don't seem to have much spare money this year. I have asked my local to help and they will hold a Raffle and a sweepstake. As far as asking my Facebook friends well enough said.. lol

Shades that's what I'm aiming for.. I'll have to get sub 3.10 so its 11 min off my pb so no pressure. Heehee
Edited: 16/04/2013 at 13:20
16/04/2013 at 13:20

Running for charity does add another pressure.   I ran my first marathon for charity but it was my own ballot place so no specific target to reach.   I did the Brathay 10 in 10 for charity as that's the reason that event is on.  Apart from that a huge part of my race entry fees paid over the years goes to charity too, through the various races.

But for those worrying about getting a place next year in VLM there are other marathons and (whispers quietly, much better marathons) elsewhere that you can do.  

If you're going to continue to run marathons you should always do your local marathon and other smaller races that are organised by running clubs, these are the backbone of distance running not high profile commercial events.

16/04/2013 at 13:24

Iain - can your friend not put on a fancy dress costume and walk round collecting some cash?

It is hard to raise charity funds, especially if you've run a marathon before

16/04/2013 at 13:50
Sofaboy wrote (see)

KV - maybe you should give the 9:00 pacer a bag of confectionery products to run along with, telling him to give you one for every mile that you keep up with him for.

you'll be 26 miles down the road before you know it.

i might do the same with chicken satay sticks. although i'd need to be careful not to trip and accidently stab myself through the roof of the mouth with a cocktail stick.

we're sorted.

LOL!

Getting close now! Me and Shades will be thinking of you all in Wales! Us in Wales that is!

16/04/2013 at 14:21

I have just come back from the Physio and she was very good.  I think I've basically been doing the correct stretches, although she has added another one that I'll have to ask my wife to help me with (I have to kneel with someone holding my heels and then let myself fall forwards in a controlled way).

The physio did recommend getting a sports massage done (she did give me leg/knee a good going over as well), but couldn't recommend anyone locally, so VR/Shades if you know anyone locally could you let me know?

The physio diagnosed the issue as "hamstring enthesopathy", and recommended getting some Ibuleve gel as well to work into where the hamstring meets the knee.  I haven't been taking Ibuprofen and she recommended against doing so.  She did want to tape up my leg, but she couldn't as my legs were too hairy and the tape wouldn't stick 

Importantly, she didn't tell me not to run so all-in-all I'm happy.

16/04/2013 at 15:04

Hi Big G,   Have you tried tiger balb red, I have it seen Boots stores, I also bought some of the muscle rub,  it is fantastic,   I am not recommending this instead of the sports massage, as we would all benefit from a sports massage once a month

http://www.tiger-balm.org.uk/order-tiger-balm.htm

16/04/2013 at 15:22

Hi S3200H - I have heard of Tiger Balm, but haven't tried it.  I'll look into that, so thanks for the tip.

16/04/2013 at 15:24

Sofaboy - fantastic idea!!! I will stick a bag of m&m's in the pacers backpack and cut a hole in the bottom! Perfect lol.

Big-G a sports massage sorted out my leg issues rather than a physio. My experience was a good one. 

Today in my 5 mile easy run I managed to stick to a 10 min/mile pace for the first time in a long time. I came home feeling energised and refreshed. Perfect!

Shades - I am definitely pacing myself with the sponge puddings - only having 1 or 2 a day! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.