Shades Marathon Training

60,461 to 60,480 of 66,241 messages
17/04/2013 at 13:50
Grrrr hate auto correct.... cool sofaboy ill look out for you.
17/04/2013 at 15:37

I love David Weir, I think he's brilliant!

17/04/2013 at 18:02
Hi with only 11 days till Manchester marathon,I have been feeling a little nervous,thinking i haven't put enough training in being paranoid about my weight and eating et ,is this normal so close to the event as its Bern a bit stressful the past few days,I feel like i need to get out and do one last big run at a slow pace,but feel like i could burn myself out. All advice welcome. Thanks
17/04/2013 at 22:46
Hmmmm having a full on curry with colleagues after work was perhaps a poor nutritional choice

Sofaboy and Rattler - see you at Excel at 11am?

Fast koala how was it? Any tips or recommendations?
18/04/2013 at 06:31
Expo was great. Wasn't as packed as I had feared but I did get there early. You'll all be fine at 11. Definitely go for the pasta lunch as it gives you a chance to sit down and listen to some interviews/talks. I hadnt bought a ticket in advance but didnt have to queue at all. Martin yellings talk was good if he's doing it today. Loads of gear for sale and even more samples of power bars - Khani, stay away! Free pace bands from the Lucozade stand and if you go to RW they will tell you which pacer to follow at your start. I didn't buy any gear but did stock up on gels. If you've never tried Cliff shot bloks, they have all the flavours to sample! Also picked up loads of freebie stuff for my kids from everywhere. The woman at the nestle stand made me laugh - 'would you like to try our water in advance as it's what will be given out on route?' Hope you all have a great day!
Edited: 18/04/2013 at 06:33
18/04/2013 at 06:49
Sounds good. see you at 11, boys.
18/04/2013 at 06:54

Emmy - don't panic about the cut off, just stick to your pace and you know you'll be well within it.  

Slowkoala - David Weir is amazing.

Steven - all perfectly normal so don't panic.   Training takes about 3 weeks to show it's effect so no point in a long run now, just stick to your schedule and you'll be fine.

VLM runners - please can I have a race number list so when we're on our way back from Wales VR can use her phone to check on VLM's website to see how you've all done.  I will be fretting about you all otherwise

18/04/2013 at 07:12
18/04/2013 at 07:15

Thanks Slowkoala, I started a list of your race numbers a while ago and put it in such a safe place I can't find it

When I check the splits I need to make sure Khanivore didn't stop off for a few cupcakes on the way round....

18/04/2013 at 07:20
Haha I've learned to eat on the move! My race number is 44926.
18/04/2013 at 07:23

I remember with London marathon all the lovely smells of food cooking

18/04/2013 at 08:04
SHADES wrote (see)

I remember last year someone making bacon sandwiches.... It was hellish to run past!

18/04/2013 at 08:30
Emmy H wrote (see)
SHADES wrote (see)

I remember last year someone making bacon sandwiches.... It was hellish to run past!

Ha ha - I remember that too!  Bacon sarnies and fresh doughnuts....and beer!  

I used to work with someone who knew of a pub somewhere along the route (there are plenty on the route).  He told his mates roughly what time he'd be there and they lined up a steak & chips and a beer for some light refreshment 

18/04/2013 at 10:43

Shades - just a quick one.  As you know, I didn't get my long run in last week due to a knee issue.  I did 8 miles yesterday with no major issues (a slight niggle, but generally it seemed OK, if a little sluggish).  Bearing in mind that I missed the 22-miler should this week's LSR be slightly longer than the planned 14 if I feel I can do it?  For info, I'll be doing the LSR on Friday AM this week, so it would leave over two weeks until the 5th May event.

18/04/2013 at 12:41

I can feel all the excitement building! am jealous!!

all good here.. no running yet but having a few days off swimming and horse riding to let all the nerves calm down a bit and then start reintroducing a few bits and maybe a bit of jogging if i'm lucky..

18/04/2013 at 12:49

4 miles this morning - last run before Antwerp and a LOVELY run but really windy.

Big_G - A friend of mine did the exact same around Canary Wharf. Met up with his girlfriend and had a beer and sandwiches.

18/04/2013 at 13:04

Big G - maybe extend your run to 16 miles but don't risk it unless your legs are feeling very fresh.   A couple of extra miles at this stage of your training won't make much difference.

bootsie - you'll be inspired after watching London to get back out training

Emmy - blowing a hooley here too

18/04/2013 at 13:06

Big, big GOOD LUCK to all our marathoners (wherever you may be) this weekend . Looking forward to reading all the race reports.

VLMers - you've all put in the training and lots of hard work so should do really well and get the times you're aiming for. My fav quote is: 'pain is inevitable, suffering is optional' . So just remember to smile and ENJOY .

18/04/2013 at 13:21
mowzer wrote (see)

Big, big GOOD LUCK to all our marathoners (wherever you may be) this weekend . Looking forward to reading all the race reports.

VLMers - you've all put in the training and lots of hard work so should do really well and get the times you're aiming for. My fav quote is: 'pain is inevitable, suffering is optional' . So just remember to smile and ENJOY .

A great comment Mowser!

It looks like i'll be the only person running Antwerp this weekend. Everyone I know is running somewhere else!

BTW - Is anyone running Shrewsbury marathon on June 23rd?

18/04/2013 at 13:41
As the countdown to London draws to an end is like to wish all you r runners the very best if luck and enjoy the day and I'll see you around the 10 mile mark.
I have got 4 weeks left to put in as much work as i can. Still don't think i have done enough long runs so will try do a 15 mile and a 20 mile run each week then relax for the last week. If yesterday's run was anything to go on i have got loads of work to do... had a very tough heavy 10 mile run where i just couldn't get into it and it actually felt unnatural to run, legs felt heavy and breathing was all over the place.. might have something to do with the fact i had been up for 15 hrs before setting out. Oh well on the bright side i have a sports massage booked for 5pm..
Edited: 18/04/2013 at 13:49
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.