Shades Marathon Training

60,601 to 60,620 of 66,709 messages
22/04/2013 at 07:36
Was really good to watch the marathon.. missed everyone but followed progress online. Really good weekend of running...
22/04/2013 at 07:45
I reckon I will be good for a recovery run later. I'm feeling a bit of a void right now. This is the first time in a year that I have not been waking up and thinking about the London marathon.

I hope Brighton 2014 is good. I can't help but feel a little sad that I got reasonably close to 4hrs but didn't make it.

Shades I noticed there are 3 recovery miles, then a 4 and a 5 mile run this week. What would you recommend after that?
22/04/2013 at 08:20

Emmy -is it your knee that's causing the problem?

Iain - I think watching VLM is inspirational and a great motivator.

Sofaboy - can't help with the new legs

Khanivore - recovery from a first marathon varies from runner to runner so the idea is to run short and easy until you feel OK again.    As long as you're not injured now is the time to plan the rest of your racing year as post marathon depression is very common and you need to have another goal(s) to aim for.   From that you can establish how much training you need and want to do.

22/04/2013 at 08:28
Good advice shades. Thanks. I will get on it later today. I am able to walk up and down the stairs no problem. Knees are slightly sore but that is all.

I can definitely see where the depression thing comes from. Will look up races ASAP
22/04/2013 at 08:34
SHADES wrote (see)

Emmy -is it your knee that's causing the problem?

Yep The right knee. I've put some cooling gel on it and tried some massage and will take it easy and try a swim tomorrow.

Khani - For my first VLM - I did the minimum runs stated my shades and cut one short as i wasn't feeling great and had a 10km race planned to get me focused again.

22/04/2013 at 08:35

congrats Khani!! I was looking for your time online and I was very impressed!!

great watching it.. was glued to the TV, especially the elites race!

22/04/2013 at 08:36
Thx Emmy. Hope the knee is better soon. How did you get to the race in the end?
22/04/2013 at 08:38
Thanks Bootsie I got your text before the race and it put a massive grin on my face I wanted to relly but it was hard to get a signal at the start.
22/04/2013 at 08:40
Khanivore wrote (see)
Thx Emmy. Hope the knee is better soon. How did you get to the race in the end?

Thanks. Well done again - I loved the VLM last year. I ended up with a tram - a bit of a long diversion but it seemed to work fine and I was there on time.

22/04/2013 at 08:45
Can I have my legs back please? and I can hardly walk today.

My calfs cramped up during the race yesterday, but all the aches pulls and pains I'd had during training were nowhere to be seen, which was great.

It hurt like hell, but was definitely worth it
22/04/2013 at 08:46

Well done everyone

On the way home from Wales we got all your results up from VLM website. We were so proud of you all. You had perfect weather, unlike us!

Khani - You will get that sub 4 no problem.
Emmy - sorry to hear about your knee. Well done in Antwerp

Recovery runs/walks everyone chop chop!!

22/04/2013 at 08:55

well done emmy and well done rattler! my jealousy has no bounds right now!!

still no running here but am ever hopeful.  Physio again tomorrow and dont think he is getting it completely right with the diagnosis.  Did two longer walks this weekend and pain kicked off again so swam this morning.. I am going to try a jog later just to see what happens... i nearly need to bring on the injury to figure out what it really is!

maybe a trip to the podiatrist is in order?!

22/04/2013 at 09:40
Well done to everyone who raced this weekend.

VR and Shades, sounds like you had tough conditions in Wales so well done for digging in.

Emmy, hope you knee feels better later. Is that an old injury?

Khanivore, Rattler and Sofaboy - you all have great race photos (I have a day off today so have stalked you!) I want to run it all again and remember to smile this time! I even look miserable at the end but i just felt like I was going to have a good cry.

Bootsie, what treatment is your physio providing? Is he giving you lots of exercises to do at home too?

When is the best time for a recovery run? Today feels a tad soon for me, but I did manage the school 'run'.
22/04/2013 at 09:40

Well done everyone fantastic running,  great times for your first mara.  Sub 4 will not be a problem next time out

Shades you need a big pat on the back for all the time you give to helping everyone

Hope the knee gets sorted fast Emmy

22/04/2013 at 09:48

slowK he isn't! I haven't reacted well to the exercises.. seem to be flaring up back spasms which are much worse.. the whole thing is causing quite bad sciatica so he has asked me to stop all exercises and limit any training i am doing.. so took 5 days off horse riding and swimmign then went back to them this weekend and it just seemed to be the walking that flared up pain in my calf and up into my hip.. really wierd.. the whole thing just isn't right!

I am trying not to stress about it because everytime I have had an injury it has got better but i really dont have a clear diagnosis or treatment plan which is starting to wind me up a bit! He just keeps saying its the nerve stuff with the central sensitization.. to me that really isnt' clear enoguh

22/04/2013 at 09:56

Well done all the VLMers!  It was great watching it on TV and I was tracking you all and a few club mates via the VLM website.  Also, the BBC red button had a facility where you could watch the finish line and I saw a few people I knew complete their marathons

Congratulations all on some great running!  

22/04/2013 at 09:57
One of the most inspiring moments for me was watching double amputee Richard whitehead run past us and getting a cheers mate as i cheered him on.
22/04/2013 at 10:00

I meant to say that I got a text from a friend last night.  One of his friends got to the VLM registration 10-mins late on Saturday and wasn't allowed to pick up her number, and so couldn't run.  All that preparation and training and then to get to the registration late is unbelievable really!

22/04/2013 at 10:06

Big_G thats terrible.. very bad form from VLM.. I'm all for planning and sticking to rules etc but you are right.. thats alot of training for something really silly

Iain .. he is amazing isn't he! It makes you reevaluate!

22/04/2013 at 10:13
Bootsie, I really sympathise, it must be so frustrating. How long have you had the physio for? I'm no expert but I know from my knee injury that it took longer than I'd hoped to get better (about 3 months for me). I never really got a proper diagnosis as such but did at least have an exercise plan that I could feel working. But I did have strict instructions to rest completely from running for the whole 3 months. Has it got to the stage where a second opinion might help, even if only to reassure you? Have they considered acupuncture, ultrasound or massage?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.