Shades Marathon Training

60,641 to 60,660 of 66,730 messages
22/04/2013 at 21:52
No recovery jog for me. Maybe tomorrow. Feel really sleepy! Early night for me I think. Had a chat with Rattler earlier. He went from being adamant this would be his only marathon to saying that he would enter the ballot and see what happens. A slippery slope my friend
22/04/2013 at 21:54
I have my eyes closed in the two photos from the mall in the finishing straight when I had removed my hat for the photo. Grrrrrr
22/04/2013 at 22:43

I'll let fate decide, a year's a long time in running politics

23/04/2013 at 07:16

Rattler - a great report.  I'm sorry that you didn't make that sub 4 goal but you did a great time and you know that sub 4 is probably there should you decide to have another go at a marathon

Slowkoala - glad you did a little recovery run.   I would advise a nice warm bath

Khanivore - in response  to your questions:-

1   Resume normal running when your body lets you. No, you do not need to take a month off.   run easy and shorter distances and you will know when 'normal service' is resumed.  If you have any injuries or niggles now is the time to let them heal.

2.   You can decide what and how much running you want to do.   How much time you have available, what are your goals.   Why not join your local running club?

3.   I would pick up the marathon schedule from whatever distance of the long runs you think you can do comfortably.   But if you are going to do an autumn marathon you can tick over by doing one half marathon race and one 20/22 mile run per month and then pick up for the last 8 weeks

Edited: 23/04/2013 at 07:16
23/04/2013 at 08:05

Hi all.

I'm still hoping to get to the start line in reasonable shape on May 4th.  I went off to see a sports physio last night, and he was recommended by my club. 

Before doing any treatments, he insisted on doing a pretty thorough examination of me and took notes relating to certain things about my stance, my spine, the length of my legs etc.  I seem to have one leg slightly longer than the other one which could be causing some issues.  Also, he confirmed that my hamstrings are very tight but concluded that the root cause of this is because I have tight hip flexors.  After giving my legs a thorough massage using a massage machine etc, he gave me some specific stretches to help with the tight hip flexors and some advice of what to do whilst sitting at an office chair for 8 hours a day.  

All in all, I was in there for 1.5 hours so that was £15 well spent!  

It was a bit of a revolving door of Trotters.  As I went in another one came out, and as I came out another one was going in!

23/04/2013 at 08:13

Big G - well that was a worthwhile visit to the physio.   Most folk have one leg longer than the other and as you say can cause problems.   Doesn't for me as body has learned to compensate - I have a slightly different footfall for each foot so has never caused me any injuries.

Emmy - how's your knee today?

23/04/2013 at 08:19

Shades - thanks I guess I have a couple of weeks to work out where to go with this. 

Is anyone here signed up for Chester marathon in October? That is looking like a likely candidate for marathon number 2!

23/04/2013 at 08:30

Thanks Shades, I'll look at shorter distances first and aim to get my HM time down below 1.45 before Khani persuades me to run another marathon 

So Khani, how about a HM in June somewhere in the South? 

Big-G - £15 for 1.5 hours sounds great value.

23/04/2013 at 08:33

Shades - yes, I'm glad I went.  He couldn't say for sure whether I should get inserts or not at this stage.  The reason he couldn't say is not because he was trying to get me to go back again (I think I will though) but because he didn't know for sure if they will help.

It seems that my left ankle has been compensating for this discrepancy in leg length as it is bent slightly inwards where as my right ankle is more normal (he took a photo to show me).  He does want to remeasure me if I go back just to be sure of his measurements before he recommends any further action for this.  He said he wouldn't change anything before my marathon at this late stage anyway, so carry on as I am but try these stretches he has given me.

He did say that many people have this difference in leg length, and for many it doesn't cause any problem.  He said David Beckham has quite a large discrepancy but it has't caused him any issues.  Other people may only have a small discrepancy but it can be really disruptive for them.

I did mention my achilles issue as well, which I've had on and off for a while.  He didn't seem overly bothered by it but concluded it was the tendon itself and told me to squeeze the tendon (it will hurt) and move my foot up and down.  I have been doing this and it already seems to be helping.  I can't remember the word he used now, but this procedure is getting rid of "something" in/around the achilles.

Edited: 23/04/2013 at 08:37
23/04/2013 at 08:50
Really gutted today...went for a fantastically wonderful run last night. Had dinner and went to bed. Woke up this morning feeling like i was hungover. Think the chicken was suspect so it has really put a damper on the idea of another great run today. Grrr
Slowkoala- i find if i have tender legs and have to navigate stairs i will go up as normal but come down backwards. Works a treat.
Edited: 23/04/2013 at 08:51
23/04/2013 at 08:58

Hi Everyone! Hope you dont mind me joining this forum.  Im after a training plan for Brighton Marathon 2014.  Id love a sub 430 but main aim is not to get injured in training so that I can complete the marathon (its for charity).  Average mileage is 25-30 a week but planning on getting this up to 35 average by November.  Half PB is 2.09.09 on just two weeks training so hoping to get it down to just under two for the Brighton Half.  Have no other commitments other than working 9-5 so have fair amount of time I can devote to training.  Any advice welcomed.  Confused - is speed work necessary or can I do speed work now and just concentrate on running for the acutal plan?  Should i go for more miles that mean some will be a slower speed, or less miles that can be run faster?

23/04/2013 at 09:05
Tillstar - welcome to the forum..there is a myriad of knowledge and experience and the advice you'll get from shades and others will help you achieve your goals..
23/04/2013 at 09:09

i'm up for a 1/2. maybe not in june, but certainly a bit later in the year. i got really close to sub 1:45 last november so i'll definitely be aiming for that.

23/04/2013 at 09:11

Tillstar welcome! You won't go wrong here Following Shades's plan and advice was the best thing I could have done for my marathon prep - I know that all of us who just ran London feel the same way.

23/04/2013 at 09:12

Rattler I'm well up for some halves. In fact I just signed up for the Brighton half marathon but that is not until Feb 2014 just before the Brighton marathon which as you know I have also signed up for!  

I need to avoid July and the first week of August due to fasting but other than that i'm good to go!

23/04/2013 at 09:52

Boo back in work today, I've had a great time in London though, forgotten how busy it is down there.

Loving the reports, sounds like you all had a very good run and paced it well, those last few miles are very tough..nothing quite prepares you for that. But none of you ran into big problems, yeah you were hurting a bit! but still running. Maybe from following a good training plan  

Welcome Tillstar, I'll leave the techy advice for the experts, all I'll say is is to build up slowly, you've got a year so plenty of time to get a good base.

Big_G - I could do with a Physio like that , think I'm going to book something. I still get the odd ache in my calf so don't know whether to try running again or not.

23/04/2013 at 09:55

Hiya.. well i went to the podiatrist last night.. inconclusive but she said my orthotics need some refurb so she has taken them away for 2 weeks!

I went to the physio this morning and he has said he doesn't really think he is helping so he is referring me for a foot scan and also asking me to  talk to my doctor about changing my pain medication and adding in the stuff that dulls the nerve messages .. yuck! not impressed !

23/04/2013 at 10:02

Bootsie - sorry to hear that Are you going to try another physio as well as getting the foot scan?

23/04/2013 at 10:09

not yet, I think he is right unfortunately.. did get quite upset in the session as I really dont like resorting to medication to resolve this.  Kind of hard to accept there is a chronic condition to deal with but I will arrange to see my GP and talk to him next

23/04/2013 at 10:14

ok.. have fingers crossed for you

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.