Shades Marathon Training

60,661 to 60,680 of 66,932 messages
23/04/2013 at 10:39
This sounds like the thread for me. Targeting Brighton next year.
23/04/2013 at 10:43

Welcome Claire! Tillstar and I are also signed up to do Brighton!

23/04/2013 at 10:55

welcome Claire!

23/04/2013 at 11:14
Slowkoala wrote (see)

Khani - I don't have a finishing line photo either, just the one they took just after the finish. But I think they may still add more. At least you are smiling in all of yours!

My pictures took over a week for all of them to come up so don't worry just yet!

Big_G wrote (see)

Hi all.

All in all, I was in there for 1.5 hours so that was £15 well spent!  

ALL that for 15quid?!? Definitely excellent value.

SHADES wrote (see)

Emmy - how's your knee today?

Better. I went out for a swim this morning and it only hurt whilst doing front crawl. Generally a lot better but being very cautious. I've planned to run 25km on Sunday so need to evaluate the viability of this.

How are you feeling after Wales?

23/04/2013 at 11:25

A big welcome to Claire and Tillstar!

23/04/2013 at 11:27

Big G £15 is that a typo,  I pay £35per hour.    

welcome Claire and Tilstar happy running 

23/04/2013 at 11:31

Hello, just coming to let you know how I did and to check on the other VLM runners. Very well done to slowkoala (more like speedy gonzalez! ), sofaboy, khanivore and rattler. Sounds like you all had good races!

I finished in 4hrs 43mins 3seconds. It was going to plan for a sub 4hr 30 until about mile 16 when realised that I couldn't maintain the pace and got gradually slower. I changed my focus to simply finishing at that point. There were so many people dropping out, walking, with cramp that I thought if I finish I will be happy.

The last 8 miles were really hard and I kept feeling like my left hamstring was going to cramp up so I had to take it relatively slowly. If it weren't for the crowd yelling my name (thank god I had it on my shirt) I think I may have walked towards the end but I ran the whole way. I felt really rough when I finished but once I'd managed to get some fuel down me (orange juice did the trick) I felt better. Pretty stiff yesterday and today but in some ways not as bad as I thought I would be. I can go up and downstairs without too many problems. Thinking about running again on Thursday.

It was much warmer than predicted (not sure how warm it ended up) and I'm glad I put suncream on. Still caught it on my face a bit but I would have frazzled otherwise. Not sure if it was the heat that meant I couldn’t keep the pace up or the fact that I had to dodge so many walkers/slower runners. I started in pen 8 and even though I was at the front of the pen, there were just too many people in front of me who were walking. I could see the 4hr 30 pacers at the start but lost them pretty quickly due to the sheer number of people. If I did it again, I would put a much better predicted time on the form and get put in an earlier pen. It took me 20 minutes to get across the start line. There were also points on the course (mile 10 and in docklands)  where there wasn’t really a tape holding the crowds back and they had encroached onto the road so that the whole course was narrowed and it turned into a bottleneck.  But the crowds were the whole reason I wanted to do London and they are the reason I managed to finish.

Highlights:

1)      The atmosphere at the start, just amazing.

2)      Managing to see my sister and BIL at mile 11, really gave me a boost

3)      Half way point, smack on 4hr 15mins and the band in the middle of the road were playing Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer – as I got there, they were belting out "we're halfway there…"

4)      The number of people yelling my name. Couldn't believe how many people did and how much of a boost it was.

5)      Someone telling me at mile 21ish that I looked as fresh as a daisy! (I didn't but it made me laugh)

Low points:

1)      My nan passed away on Saturday so emotionally it was a very hard day. Especially between miles 5-6 when a pub was playing a song that reminded me of her.

2)      I missed my husband and kids as they were on the opposite side of the road to where I was expecting them (but did meet up with them at the end)

I have got some really good pics – thanks to someone who told me to smile and wave at all the photographers. There is a pic of me at mile 25 smiling and waving even though I was in absolute agony. I am thinking of forking out for the whole set. I am also going to enter the ballot for next year but I'm sort of hoping I won't get in. Maybe 2015? I can't remember how many times you need to enter the ballot before you get an automatic place?

I have to say, the whole organisation was simply superb. It all s

23/04/2013 at 11:33

It all seemed to run like clockwork. Especially given the events in Boston and the speed with which the organising team sent out emails, organised the ribbons etc.

Sponorship is now at £2380 and will make £2880 once work have matched it. Really really pleased with that.

I want to do a half next – get my PB below 2hrs since the only competitive half I've done I had been ill just before. Shades – have you got any half training plans??? Sounds like there are a few of us that would be interested

23/04/2013 at 12:09

good review Louey.

i'd second a 1/2 plan from the Shademiester.

could have done with a bit more shade on sunday.  BOOM TISH.

23/04/2013 at 12:33

well done Louey!

23/04/2013 at 12:49

Thanks for the welcome everyone   Thanks for the recommendation Khanivore

23/04/2013 at 13:04

Well done Louey! Awesome write up and awesome finish! Brilliant. Brought all the memories back for me too. 

23/04/2013 at 13:12

Re finish line photos.  It seems the photo companies don't offer these any more but you can now get a video of yourself crossing the finishing line plus other points.  It's all about them making money in my books but a nice memento if you have lots of pics, plus the video, to buy the whole package.

BTW I'm not on commision

23/04/2013 at 13:29

I wish i had known that the BBC red button had a camera on the finishing line throughout the marathon I would have just got my wife to record it! grrr. I'm definitely not forking out for a video crossing the line. I think it's shocking you don't get a racing line picture any more. 

Anyway, my picture from the mall jsut before the finishing line has my eyes close in it. I'll just have to run it again

23/04/2013 at 13:31

S3200H - no, that wasn't a typo!  I was amazed too.  I think he usually charges £20 for a 30min session but Teignbridge Trotters (my club) and the police get a discount and the rate of £15.  On a subsequent session I won't get 1.5 hours as he won't do another assessment, which itself took over 45mins.

Welcome Tillstar/Claireruns - you're in the right place here

Great write up Louey!  I too got the whole package for my 2010 VLM and don't regret it.  I also got a large frame which has a couple of photos and my medal and I still have it hanging up in my office now.  For info, unfortunately I think Virgin removed the automatic ballot place system a couple of years ago so if you enter the ballot it's about a 1 in 5 chance I believe.

23/04/2013 at 13:32

Khanivore - Chester is a good marathon, although I haven't done this course and am booked somewhere else this year.  Good choice for your 2nd marathon

Big G - re leg length discrepancy, try and avoid running on roads with a steep camber and avoid running on the same side of the road all the time (if you can do this safely).

Maybe scar tissue in your achilles

Tillster - you need to PM me for a plan with an email address as can't send attachments via RW.

bootsie - it's good the physio has come clean, foot scan is a good idea.

Emmy - yes I'm fine after Wales now thanks. 

Be careful of your knee swimming, but good it's healing, have you had this before

S3200H - I think Big G's running club (one of my former clubs) have a deal with the physio that first appointment is discounted.

Louey - well done at London, that's a good result.  One of the reasons I don't run London is that it's just too crowded, mentally and physically tiring having to navigate around people etc.

The only half marathon schedule is or complete beginners, use your marathon plans and if you want a serious PB train doing your long runs up to 16 miles.

Edited: 23/04/2013 at 13:33
23/04/2013 at 13:33

Hi Shades please can you send me a training plan?

23/04/2013 at 13:33

Tillstar - see above..X post!

23/04/2013 at 13:35

Just reading back a bit...Bootsie sorry to hear about your injury news.  Not sure what to suggest really, but in a very small way I can share your frustration as I was virtually climbing the walls after an enforced 5 day lay off!  Good luck.

23/04/2013 at 14:48

could i get an email on the plan please shades?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.