Shades Marathon Training

60,701 to 60,720 of 67,279 messages
24/04/2013 at 08:56
SHADES wrote (see)

Emmy - a few days rest for you I think.   Hopefully you have a marathon free few weeks?

Yep. I think so too. I was thinking of going to the gym to do some cardio (cycling/rowing) and weights that aren't knee related or do you think that it's pushing it?

Umm.... well i'm marathon free until next weekend when it's the 3in3 I think I might need your support for my training plan for the coming 10 days Shades.... 

My plan was:

- Gym today

- Gym Friday

- Run 4 mile sat (can be ditched)

- Run 35km race (easy pace) Sun

- Run 4 mile Mon

- Swim Tues

- Gym Wed

- Run 4/5 mile Thurs

- Rest Fri

- Marathon Sat

- Marathon Sun

- Marathon Mon

Or am I being too 'optimistic'?

24/04/2013 at 09:50

I hate to say it Emmy but, if you only ran 1k today before the pain all the above should be changed to rest

Hi Molly, I am in pen B   think my number is 5152 will check when i get home, I will be in my bright green top with FAST on the front that my son bought me a few years ago to help him spot me.  On my own for this one though, really looking forward to the run, not so much the drive home after 

24/04/2013 at 10:11

Going for a recovery run! I've never done one before! It's just super slow running right? My marathon pace was about 9:20 min/mile so is this going to be at 11 min/mile? That seems like it's going to be tough to run at (in terms of it's really slow) while holding any kind of running form. Should be good practice though - I'm really thinking about trying hadd to build up a base.

About 30 mins should do it right?

Edited: 24/04/2013 at 10:11
24/04/2013 at 10:29

I'm in pen B too and my number is 3018, black t-shirt with a pink "Heidi" on the front.

the marathon is going to be just a plod, no speedy time for me....what's worrying me is the marathon I've got to do after I've finished...I've promised to take mini molly shopping to the Trafford Centre as a bribe to make her come & watch me

24/04/2013 at 12:04
That sounds about right Khanivore. Just a case of turning your legs over.
Not like our recovery run when me and Shades the day after the Ljubljana marathon ran a few hundreds yards down the road and went into a cafe for breakfast!!

Good luck Molly for Manchester
24/04/2013 at 12:09

VR hahah that's funny - bet you had a healthy breakfast though

I did about 2.5 miles of recovery running. The first 10 mins was a bit stiff and rather slow - slower than the recovery pace even After 10 mins my legs freed up and by the time i got home any stiffness was gone. Feel great now  

24/04/2013 at 13:18

I almost feel like I could run a marathon today...almost. Need to wait until tomorrow for recovery run though as too busy today. Glad your legs are ok now Khani. 

Shades - I will do as suggested and longer runs up to 16 miles. If I have time to add in a 4th run a week, is it better to do hill repeats or intervals/fartlek?

Claire - I did what Shades suggested - bought a pair of trainers full price before Christmas and then after Christmas they were on sale (and still are) for half price so I bought another pair. Once you are happy with them, you can normally pick them up half price later on.

Rattler - I was looking for a half and spotted the St Albans one but I think I can't do that weekend for family reasons. Still on the hunt..

Good luck for Manchester,  Molly and S3200H.

Molly - I love shopping, but shopping after a marathon is nuts 

24/04/2013 at 13:23

Emmy - I'm with S3200, rest, rest rest and I don't think you should be considering a race at all at the moment.   Your knee injury is probably a compensating injury from your hip, subconsciously taking pressure off one side of the body puts extra pressure on the other side and often causes another injury.   Just take each day at a time, you can't maintain full fitness with a knee injury so rest up.

Khanivore - that's why we do the recovery runs, painful at the start but it really makes you feel so much better by the end of the run

..and we didn't have a healthy breakfast in Ljubljana, pastries and coffee if I remember rightly and very good too

molly - I'm sure they have plenty of escalators at the shopping centre so you'll be able to avoid the stairs

24/04/2013 at 13:58

I'm a little scared if i'm honest. I have so much energy at the moment and have no idea what to do with it. My knee doesnt hurt when I cycle so could that be an option? Otherwise - people are going to get really annoyed at me very quickly (imagine the duracell bunny on speed and you see where i'm at).

24/04/2013 at 14:49
Emmy, would swimming be an option? I find I have to cycle lots to get the same benefit as running. But you must listen to the others and REST if you are hurting. Easier said than done, I know.

Shades, don't think I will ever drink beetroot juice ever again unless I see more proof of its benefits!

Khani, well done on the recovery run. Mine was more like a shuffle than a run on Monday but I did feel loads better for it. But I only did 1 mile!

Legs do feel better today - managed to walk down the tube station steps without holding in to rails!

Seen loads of people out running this week, must be the post London newbies!
24/04/2013 at 14:59

Sorry Emmy I would not cycle either, have a week complete rest, with plenty of rolling and stretching, and a couple of sports massages as well.  Then see how you are.  I know it is horrid but as you know injury is all part of running and we have to learn when to rest.  

24/04/2013 at 15:08

For some reason I am so tired this week, well into taper so was expecting to feel full of energy but no. 

24/04/2013 at 15:27

Emmy - lots of energy? Come to my house and iron  Seriously the only thing you should be doing is REST otherwise it'll just take longer to recover. I really would not consider doing another marathon at the weekend. Listen to your body and look after yourself.

24/04/2013 at 15:59

Don't worry Molly - it's just a 25km this weekend. The marathon is NEXT weekend

I just thought if I did low/minimal impact stuff it would be better and I could take away the 'itch'.

S3200H - i'd love to go to get a massage but I phoned up my 'regular' guy and he's fully booked for the next two weeks. I don't trust anyone else after a few rubbish ones that actually caused more damage than healed.

I'm listening to it - and was proud that I stopped my run this morning but it doesnt mean that i'm not looking elsewhere to find a fix

24/04/2013 at 17:16

Ermm... I've just entered the Thames Trot 50 in Feb 2014. Oops

24/04/2013 at 18:48
I was going to try do a 10 mile tonight at what i would call marathon pace around 7:10min/mile. (That's the pace i need to sustain in order achieve a sub 3:10 marathon.)
But cause of family issues i ended up cycling around Greenwich park, hills included, with my 3 year old on his seat on the back.. what a workout.

Shades- i have been looking at several pacing timings and found that if i sustain 7:10 a mile i should achieve may goal..what i want to know, would it be feasible to run my first half at around 6:50 per mile, which would allow me a 20 sec a mile window for my second half or do i run the risk of burning myself out to soon..
24/04/2013 at 19:12
Khanivore, I has to look that up to see if the 50 was miles or km...!!! Are you mad???? That's almost two back to back marathons!
24/04/2013 at 19:22
Koala don't think you need to ask that
24/04/2013 at 19:40
My number is 5251 for Manchester. Just done a steady 7 mile woke me up a bit
24/04/2013 at 19:51
Haha it should be a laugh
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.