Shades Marathon Training

60,721 to 60,740 of 67,663 messages
24/04/2013 at 21:33
Is that your last run till Sunday, S32?

Khanivore, have you told your wife yet?! My OH is grumbling already at the idea of me training for another marathon as I'd like to do London again next year. I can't imagine his face if I said I'd entered an ultra!
24/04/2013 at 21:50

Rattler - 9th of June you say? a 1/2? 1:45 to beat?

..........hmmmm..........

i'm in. (assuming day pass from the boss gets granted)

my PB is 1:45.33 so i'm going plan to hit that 1:45 time right out of the park.

the only thing that might put a dampener on things is that now the general aching has stopped, i'm left with a tight right hamstring and somehow i seem to have hurt the ligaments in my left ankle. it feels like i've turned it over slighty, but i don't remember doing anything like that. i'm not too concerned about the hamstring, but i do have a bit of a history with ankle ligaments and i'm not going to run on it until it feels totally ok.

i'll keep you posted, chief. 

Edited: 24/04/2013 at 21:51
24/04/2013 at 22:46
Fastkoala nope haven't owned up to it. In fact there is a 51 mile walk in September which some people run that I am also considering. My plan is just to go running a lot and see what happens in terms of spousal fury If things get out of hand I will forfeit the race entrance and simply cut back on training.

She knows about the Brighton marathon and is fine with that.

Shades I'm thinking of this plan for the ultra - what do you think? It seems like your plan but with back to back long runs on weekends and no speedwork. Keen to hear your thoughts:

http://www.scrunners.org/ultrasch.php?month=9&day=21&year=2013&dow=6&schedule=50m&submit=Draw+Schedule
24/04/2013 at 23:21
My plan has 5 mile Friday and 4 mile sat, but think I will just do 3 on Friday and rest sat,
25/04/2013 at 07:22

Emmy - I think you should rest....after all how far can you cycle before it doesn't impact on your knee.   You have to cycle 4 times the distance to equate to running, e.g 20 miles on the bike equals a five mile run, not worth it.   And you shouldn't race this weekend until you are injury free.   IMHO you're doing too many marathons too early in your running career.   OK as long as you're prepared for long term injuries and no PB's

Louey - great that you've recovered so well.  Why not alternate the extra session, hill reps one week and intervals or fartlek the next week.

Slowkoala - I've never tried beetroot juice but believe it needs to be mixed with another juice to be palatable.

Training for your 2nd marathon will not impact on your life quite as much as the first one does.

S3200 - I feel like that too when cutting mileage.

Khanivore - let's have a link to this 50 event, is this one of Rory's events?   Will look at training plan later.

Iain - in that case why not run the first half with the sub 3 hour pacers? I'm sure Edinburgh have a pacer at that pace.

25/04/2013 at 08:30

I had a very strange sensation immediately after my run yesterday.  When I stopped after my easy 6-miler and started walking my legs felt like they still wanted to run.  It was very similar to that feeling you get when you've been cycling for a while and then get off and walk, where your legs don't feel "right".  I've never had it before with running though.  Very odd.  I can only put it it down to the massage I had, but I would surprised if it was that as that was on Monday.  Has anyone else had this?

I took the plunge and got my wedding ring reduced in size, and I picked it up on Tuesday.  It had to be reduced two sizes and I was umming and ahhing about it as I'm worried I may put weight back on and have to get it made bigger again, which wouldn't be good!  However, I've gone for it as almost an incentive to try and keep the weight off.  It's still a bit loose so I can afford a few pounds on weight I think.  For the last 3 or 4 months I've been walking around with some tape wrapped around the base of the ring to help it to not slip off!  I was going to get it reduced one size and then get a temporary spacer added, but I thought I'd just go for the full 2-size reduction and see how I get on.

Emmy - I'm no expert, but it sounds like you need to ease off a bit.  Take it easy and get the niggle out of the way.  Easier said than done, I know.

Shades - I don't think I'm suffering too much from taper madness at the moment, as this knee niggle is still taking up my thoughts and I'm still sticking to your plan.  I now have just 4 relatively easy sessions left.  I'm still not sure what pace to go out at though for the marathon.  A big part of me is thinking I'll go at 9min/mile (4hrs) and see how I get on and if I realise I can't keep it up just ease back and make sure I get under 4:30.  What do you think?  I'm a bit worried about that important week I missed through injury (the one with the 22-miler in!) but I'm trying to forget about that.

Shades/VR - have you any particular tips about the NDVM?  I had a look at the profile yesterday and it doesn't look too bad (in terms of hills) but was wondering about your thoughts on it.

For info, this is the course profile.

Edited: 25/04/2013 at 08:33
25/04/2013 at 08:31
Ill have to have a look. I don't remember seeing them last year but I'll check. I'm going to try so a 20 miler today as i still banned to Do a few more long runs cause i still feel i haven't done enough..
25/04/2013 at 08:34

Apologies, I editted a typo in previous message and it lost the course profile.  Here it is again:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gby6g4rDz8k/UTcA1svsvmI/AAAAAAAAALs/wPBWN0aC2jU/s400/NDVM+1.tiff

25/04/2013 at 08:51
Khanivore wrote (see)

Ermm... I've just entered the Thames Trot 50 in Feb 2014. Oops

Lol and they call me crazy

SHADES wrote (see)

Emmy - I think you should rest....after all how far can you cycle before it doesn't impact on your knee.   You have to cycle 4 times the distance to equate to running, e.g 20 miles on the bike equals a five mile run, not worth it.   And you shouldn't race this weekend until you are injury free.   IMHO you're doing too many marathons too early in your running career.   OK as long as you're prepared for long term injuries and no PB's

Thanks Shades. I appreciate the feedback and response. I'm going to rest and follow the advice. I guess for me the difficult situation is knowing when to test it. I can walk on it fine and have been stretching/massaging it.

How many marathons would you recommend per month/week/quarter?

25/04/2013 at 13:25

Big G - ND is mildly undulating. So shouldn't be a problem. I would treat it as a flat marathon and not worry about the slopes

25/04/2013 at 13:33

Big G - you were lucky you didn't lose your wedding ring!   Good choice to have it adjusted now.

I think you should go out at ND at 9 min/miles and then ease up a bit if you feel you need to.   You should still get a great PB and hoepfully have a pleasant run.

There's a sharp hill too close to the start for my liking, then undulates.  I don't remember anything awful, but I may have just forgotten

Emmy - Everyone is different. I know quite a few that have done a lot of marathons in a very short time from starting their running, a huge % of them have also had long term injuries, sometimes up to 2 years or more out of running due to overuse in the early stages before their bodies have adapted.   Often these runners don't risk too many marathons close together after that but change their priorities to improving their times.

In an ideal world I would expect at least 5 years of a good base mileage of 30 - 50 miles a week (not including race mileage) before considering multiple marathons.   Doing marathons close together should also be built up gradually.

25/04/2013 at 13:41

Shades - I noticed the two hills within the first couple of miles at NDVM, which isn't ideal.  At least they will stop me going off too quickly

25/04/2013 at 13:53

Shades - I'm guess that i'm trying to be sensible and work out what I can do and what is impossible.

I don't want to injure myself and I don't want to stop running so I just want to have a sort of control on it and plan it correctly (I know that it's a control issue).

I love my running and marathons so much that I just want to keep doing it!

25/04/2013 at 15:22

I came across this the other day by a guy who is very quick and posted a 2:47 at VLM.  As this is my "main" thread on RW, I thought I'd post it in case anyone has thoughts etc.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/my-vlm-for-those-who-asked-for-some-background-on-my-training/248039.html

Phenomenal improvement by him and it was good of him to put all that on a thread I think, so hats off to him for that.  Some of his times are eye-watering though and in fact I don't think I would ever get to what he did in his first Half (1:28). 

I thought I'd post it as a matter of interest really in case people have missed it.  Look at how many 20+ milers he did (13) in his run up to VLM!

25/04/2013 at 16:39

Big_G i just read his forum. wow talk about dedication to training and achieving the results...

I was so gutted about my run today. I had the day off and was going to go out and do a long run but i didnt bank on it being so warm. (makes me wish i hadnt complained when it was colder lol) Thankfully there was a petrol ststion along my route to refill my water bottles and try cool down. After stopping a little further down the road cause i started having palpitions due to the heat i decided to only run 10 miles . looks like tomorrow will be cooler so i can go out and finally do my 20 i have been attempting to do for ages..

25/04/2013 at 17:16
Big G, my dad wanted to run London Mara in the 80s and there were no GFA places then. He had to run sub 2:35 at Marlow mara which was his first one after only running for a couple of years, to get a championship place at London! Went on to run 2:25 at London but I never appreciated his times untilI started running!

Bad morning, 13 yo banged head at school and school insisted I take him to doc even though I could see he was fine. After waiting more than an hour, came out of surgery to a parking ticket. Now have loads of work to catch up with.

But good news is that I have a place in the Olympic Park run (5 miles) in July, can't wait kids v jealous so hoping they can do the fun run when registration opens on Monday.
25/04/2013 at 19:13
Does anybody know why sports drinks are not recommended for carb loading?
25/04/2013 at 19:50
Hadn't heard that S32, I has one every day when carbo loading as read in a few places that it's an easy way to get carbs in. I suppose if you have too many though, you don't have room for the slower release carbs??
25/04/2013 at 19:53
Hi all,
I went to the sports doc this evening. I've got a stain in my tensor fascia latae on my knee. Ice and rest and she said cross training is possible just to see how I am.

So I'm glad I have a diagnosis!
25/04/2013 at 20:07

That's great you've got some guidance Emmy. And you can do training - of sorts

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.