Shades Marathon Training

60,801 to 60,820 of 67,214 messages
29/04/2013 at 14:09

S3200H that is a massive amount of time to take off for a PB well done..

Molly sounds like you had a very enjoyable race, might look at doing manchester next year.

Well i managed to do my 20.2 mile run today in 2:22:15 and tried the gels that you get at Holland and Barrett called viperboost with caffine. In my opinion definately worth the 1,85 each. just hope i can dig deep on race day and do the remaining 6 miles in 45 min or less. Getting psyched up now..

29/04/2013 at 14:30

Thanks well pleased with what ever time i did?

My time on the website has now gone back to 3:23:31 

29/04/2013 at 16:10

thats probably the correct one...only 2 min behind my PB so a great result. 

29/04/2013 at 17:45

i see the ballot is closed already. glad i remembered to enter.

29/04/2013 at 18:05

I entered the 2014 VLM lottery too -  DOH !!! 

29/04/2013 at 18:43

S32, that's a huge PB. How did you train differently for this one compared to your previous marathon? What d'you think made the difference?

Ive entered a local 10k for BH Monday. May be a bit too soon after VLM to get a PB, but I thought it was worth a punt!

Anyone else seen that the GFA times have changed for London? Think it's now harder for 18-40s men and women. Sometimes it's good to be old

29/04/2013 at 18:44

Molly - I did a sit down visit to the loo too. Both men and women have to sit down for the kind of visit I made! I made the other kind of visit within 400m of starting the race lol. 

29/04/2013 at 18:47

Shades, last week i did a 2.5, 4 and 5 mile run. What do you suggest for this week?

I didn't have any issues in any of the runs but i definitely felt a little bit sore after them - nothing major, just a little more worn than I thought I would have felt after running at only 11 min miles!

29/04/2013 at 20:56

Dare i ask what my GFA time is now for london.... Yes i am in the 18-40 section still

29/04/2013 at 21:37

3:05 Keith.

My age group did not change - still at 3:15. As unacheivable as ever

http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-marathon/good-for-age-entries/

Edited: 29/04/2013 at 21:38
29/04/2013 at 21:37

Hi Koala

I forgot to thank you in my report, since I have been on this forum I felt we are at about the same level and from mile 22 when i was in a world of pain I thought about what you did in your mara and it kept me going 

The main difference is a lot more millage,  training 5 times a week instead of 3 and introducing tempo runs.   Last time I was fixated on Heart rate training and never went over 142 BPM, I do believe that plenty of slow miles builds a good base, and it also reduces the chance of injury.   However after around 3-4 months of low intensity training, you need to introduce speed to get to the next level.  I started doing tempo runs 5 weeks out of last years great north run and improved my HM PB from 1hr 44 to 1hr 38.  

Training for Manchester I spent Oct-Dec at 142-147 BPM and then added 1 tempo run a week.  

29/04/2013 at 21:58

I have not made any plans for next year yet, how about we try and plan a Shades mara we can all get to?   it would have to be in the UK for me to get a pass out.

29/04/2013 at 21:59

S32, You must be so chuffed with that improvement, it does show the difference more miles and more sessions makes. I bet you could do a faster half now with that marathon time. What other races have you got planned?

29/04/2013 at 22:00

I'm definitely up for this - i think you should all come down to brighton 2014! If not then im up for someting else in the UK.

29/04/2013 at 22:00

Cross post...! Or maybe a half?? Think I'm one marathon a year.

29/04/2013 at 22:04

now thats a kick in the netherregions been training to get around the 3:07 mark...guess ill have to dig deep on race day. 

Blisters    pirate
29/04/2013 at 22:14

Just popping in to say Hi to Shades. A nice chat before the start of Stratford. Personally I loved the Greenway section. The wind was behind us, the surface was smooth, it was much better than an industrial estate, and could be considered as a home straight. Sure my legs were totally shot by then, but that's my fault. I actually walked through the final water station, tipped a bit on myself and it shocked me awake again. That kicked 30s per mile back into my pace.

Catch you on the next one I enter?

29/04/2013 at 22:22

This year I have Sheffield Half in 2 weeks, hope i have my legs back by then and a 35 mile in September.

30/04/2013 at 07:18

Hi Blisters - great to see you Sunday, I expect you flew round in a great time.   Mentally I just can't cope with the Greenway, all that grit and dust and the surface felt harder than the road.   Can't fault the race for any other reason.   Good luck with the tri training.  When is your next marathon?

Iain - I find caffeine a great boost during a race so if those gels work for you it's money well spent for your race.

Slowkoala - you should be fine for your 10k but run within yourself just to be careful

Khanivore - keep doing what you're doing shortish easy runs, why not do a bit of off road just have a little variation whilst you're not focussed on pace/distance.   Maybe do routes a little more undulating too, helps stretch out those muscles.

Keith - not fair moving th goalposts altering your GFA, but not necessarily out of your reach.

S3200H - I think your brilliant PB is a result of taking a long term approach to your training and working hard at it.

I think a 2014 Shadies marathon is a great idea

30/04/2013 at 09:29

Shades -VR roll on berlin, fingers crossed and we,ll get 4 cracking pbs! I may not but i'm going to have a jolly good try.

Photos are up now on the marathonphoto website, 20 photos and a load of gurning going on (number 3018). S32 ....i've had a look at yours and they're great!

Next challenge is a 4km race in austria at the end of june. I'll be doing more races before then but this is THE one. It's only short but i'm going to have to train specifically and it won't be any easier than a marathon. Goal time is 18.25. It's a team race and i'm in the sisters category with my sister emma and we'd like to win. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.