Shades Marathon Training

60,901 to 60,920 of 67,249 messages
03/05/2013 at 14:45

just got an email from VLM team. the ballot closed in record time 11.5 hrs.

Mamafox - i know that one last long run might be suicide but i am so concerned i havent done enough to prepare. I know it probably wouldnt do me any favors, i guess i put so much pressure on myself to acheive the goals i want that i cant accept anything less..i can run the didtance no problem so i shouldnt worry too much but i dont want a repeat of last year when i had to hobble the last 7 miles due to cramps and lack for endurance training. I sometimes think i am my own worst enemy..

03/05/2013 at 14:47

Hi everyone, 

Iain, we're all our own worst enemies. That's why we're here, isn't it(!)?

VR, glad to hear you had a good run in Madrid last year; this year's race nearly killed me!

Mamafox and Shades, thanks for reading my race report; I'll pass on your kind words about my super-supporting missus! I have to say, Mamafox, that with a name like Mr Fox, your other half sounds as if he should be wearing a cravat, smoking a cheroot, and enjoying a permanent state of mild inebriation(!).

Shades, thanks very much for sending the training plans. Now all I have to do is wait for my uncooperative knee to get its act together, and maybe I can actually get out for a run!

Happy trails, everyone.

03/05/2013 at 19:02

just got an email from VLM team. the ballot closed in record time 11.5 hrs

lol so it was closed before noon on the day it opened thats not bad going

03/05/2013 at 21:17

Shades- you live in an area of hills... A footbridge for me is a hill

molly - getting a bit nervous for tomorrow but trying to chill out and enjoy it!

will try to get online tomorrow but if I don't - I'll text shades to let her know how it went

04/05/2013 at 07:03

iain - I think in this case 'less is more' and you should not risk another long run.    One long run will not make the difference between having a bad or brilliant race but that extra run could trigger that niggle again and then you'd be even more stressed.

Perezoso - I'm sure your knee will heal soon, meanwhile enjoy the rest.

Emmy - it must be hard living in an area where there are no hills when it comes to doing races in places where there are hills and undulations.    It is a hill at Richmond but just doesn't deserve the title of Heartbreak Hill.    The hill that VR and I used is one that I don't drive my car up (or down).

Are you doing all 3 of your races this weekend?   Yes please do text me as I won't be on line after about lunchtime today

Big G - how are you today?   Fed up with carbs?    Just checked the forecast for us tomorrow at North Dorset and looks to be perfect with only 7mph winds.

Have lots to do today, but will be sending out remainder of training plans requested on RW, also replying to individual emails including L from Belfast re meeting up on Monday and a few on training queries/paces.

04/05/2013 at 07:27

Hi Shades - I'm feeling pretty full actually, but I'll eat a breakfast of porridge shortly and see how I feel after that.

I am having a mild panic about the drinks that I use.  I use Torq Energy which is a powder that I add water to and it comes in big tubs.  I noticed last night (because I stupidly checked...if I hadn't checked, I would have been non-the-wiser) that my current pot is a month or so past its "best before date" and another pot I use I have a very very slight doubt over as there is 0.0000000001% chance it caused a stomach issue I had recently on a run.

I also have a list of things I need to take which is as long as my arm printed out and I'm ticking things off as I pack them.  Whoever said that to run all you need is a pair of trainers, shorts and a shirt is....wrong!

So, it seems taper madness has caught up with me this morning!

Shades - are you doing more than one marathon this weekend?  It sometimes must seem pretty odd to you that people like me moan and complain about trotting around a solitary marathon  I hope I catch up with you on Sunday AM to say "Hi".  I must say I've found this thread incredibly helpful and it's the first thing I check when I pick up my phone or turn my PC on in the morning!  I think I've said before on here, but I honestly think to myself "What would Shades say?" about all my running-related quandries  I hope I catch up with you in the morning, but if not good luck tomorrow!

04/05/2013 at 07:42

Best of luck Emmy! 

And good luck Big G at North Dorset. Wish I was doing it. 

you'll see Shades from miles away. Very easy to spot with all that hair!

04/05/2013 at 08:39

Big g don't worry about that sell by date mate! Torq won't go off any time close to the use by date if ever in my opinion.

04/05/2013 at 11:35

Big G -no need to panic about your sports drink.   The best before date is just that a 'best before' guide.   What starts to deteriorate after time is the ease of mixing it with water, might need to be stirred/shaken more.   It will not make you ill in any way.

You will feel full with all those carbs as you've not been running and those muscles are nicely stuffed now with glycogen and water.

Prepare that list and pack everything but the kitchen sink, the joy of taking your own car allows you to do that.

Yes, I am doing 2 this weekend but that doesn't make your race any less important....I wish I was only doing one, the tired legs at the start of Day 2 is not something I look forward to.

I hope to be at the school about 7.30 tomorrow morning and as VR say's I'm easy to spot!

On the start line I will be wearing blue 100 Club vest, probably a visor and of course my shades

04/05/2013 at 11:46

Big G - my race number is 94

04/05/2013 at 11:52

OK - thanks Shades.  I'll look out for you.  I'm probably going to go to the school and get my my race number at 07:00-ish and then go back to the B&B which is about a 5-min walk away.  I'll then aim to get back to the start area for 08:15-ish I'd expect.

My number is 163 and I'll be wearing a Trotters T-shirt.  I'm relatively tall at about 6ft 3...

I'm already nervous, but excited as well!

04/05/2013 at 12:11

Big G - I'll see you on the start line then   Have a good drive to beautiful Dorset.

04/05/2013 at 12:48

As always shades you are the voice of reason. Ill stick to shorter less intense runs more to maintain fitness then anything else. after all whats done is done. ill be testing my calf today with an easy 5 miles and i have to keep it easy.

Good luck to those of you racing this weekend hope the weather holds out for you.

04/05/2013 at 13:58

Iain - hope the calf is OK.    I think we'll have to hide your running shoes during the tapering period

Right am signing off now and unlikely I'll be back on until Tuesday morning as when I get back from North Dorset tomorrow I only have about 90 minutes to bath, change, eat and final packing before leaving for the airport.   There's a Guinness waiting for me in a bar in Belfast so don't want to miss that plane

Good luck to everyone racing over the weekend

Edited: 04/05/2013 at 13:58
04/05/2013 at 14:23

Emmy, what are you racing in Richmond?

Big G and Shades, getting nervous and excited for you from reading your threads. Sounds like a lovely scenic marathon though so hope you both have a great day.

Did a timed mile with running club this morning in exactly the same time as a couple of months back. Was pleased that I could do the same speed but annoying not to shave a second off.

Manafox, I want to beat my 10k PB which is just unde 45 mins but think it will take a few attempts.

04/05/2013 at 15:22

Slowkoala I am thinking of joining a running club to do speed work, may also try a group run but don't think it will be to my liking.n.   Have you found helpful?

04/05/2013 at 17:58

S32, I've been in a club since the end of last year and really enjoy it. They have sessions most evenings but due to kids I can only make the Saturday morning one. We don't have a track but have regular measured 1 mile, 5k and 10k runs and they keep track of everyone's times. The sessions are also fun with relays and various exercises. You can get lots of advise from the experienced runners - there are loads in their 50s and 60s. I do enjoy running on my own and have never done the group long runs. But I am competitive and I think it's good to have others to compete against regularly rather than just myself. I only pay something like twenty pounds a year so it's excellent value, if only for the tea I drink after each session!

04/05/2013 at 20:59

Slow koala - I'm running the Richmond park marathon but there is a half available as well I think.

shades- ill make sure to text you. Good luck for the races this weekend. The plan for the triple is to see how I am during/after each race and then decide if I'm doing the next one. I'm going of take each of them easy.

05/05/2013 at 09:24

morning folks hope you are having a great weekend. Finally did a 6 mile run today, the first since my injury. took it really easy 7:22/mile and all was fine. really enjoyed the slower run plus the run around blackheath at that time of the morning was fantastic.

going to a wedding in essex today so i think a run tomorrow might be off the cards, but ill try behave..

well enjoy your long weekend and any running you do..

05/05/2013 at 13:06

4:08ish. I'm pleased but last 4 miles were tough! 

I met Shades at the start as well

I'll write more later. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.