Shades Marathon Training

61,001 to 61,020 of 66,162 messages
10/05/2013 at 10:21

yikes emmy!! mine is about 11 miles but too far for a run each way really.. cycle though should be possible!

10/05/2013 at 10:29

MM - Very Jealous, go Wiggo!

I'm trying to cycle home once a week at the moment which is 24miles & then train back in the morning (I'll do both ways at some point but changing/showering not great at work)...Need to get Mountain Biking again, just no time at the moment.

10/05/2013 at 11:15

Bootsie/KK - might not get to see anything yet! It's exciting though as I can see from my window that the barriers have gone up and all the sponsors vans have started to come past....

10/05/2013 at 11:22

i cycle to and from work everyday but it is only 1.5 miles each way.

10/05/2013 at 11:46
Iain Love wrote (see)

i cycle to and from work everyday but it is only 1.5 miles each way.

You have no idea how jealous I am!

10/05/2013 at 11:57

problem with that is there is never an excuse not to get into work.

10/05/2013 at 11:58

MM, you are very lucky to watch the Giro. My nephew who is 14 won the youth tour in the Isle of Mann last weekend. Not quite the Giro, but maybe in 5 years he'll be there and my sister can retire!

My OH has started cycling to work, just 2 weeks after getting a new car. If he could stick with it we wouldn't need 2 cars, but not sure it wiil seem so appealing in the rain.

10/05/2013 at 13:15

In my lunchbreak I've just done a "dry" run to get to where the coaches are...it feels as if I'm planning a robbery! Apparently they keep going for about 300mts after the finish line and go straight to their buses - which I now know where they are.....Will I get through security? Don't know...think I'm going to have to put some (more) lipgloss on and go for the dizzy blonde dolly bird look and smile. fingers crossed.

10/05/2013 at 13:18

VR - I expect Keith is out training hard for DD, ready to push you in a hedge

molly - 6 miles a day is a good regular mileage and will pay off.   You lucky thing seeing the Giro outside your office, must be so exciting.

Emmy - 75km is not a practical commute for training!

I drive to work every day and it's about a mile

Slowkoala - well done to your nephew.   There's some seriously good cyclists in the IOM so he did very well.

10/05/2013 at 14:04

Molly - lol at your "dry run"..!! Yes, you are right, it is amazing to be running again - at the moment every time I go out I appreciate every moment (think my all time low was when someone told me that a nerve injury meant I would never run again and should take up Nordic walking instead! )

Shades - thank you for the advice (and reassurance )

Slowkoala - you have some speedy genes in your family!

Emmy - with your recent triple I thought you would laugh in the face of a mere 75k commute!

I commute on bike but only live 6k from work...

10/05/2013 at 14:26

Molly - You do sound a little like a crazed fan

Shades - I know. I'd love to cycle it one day to see how I get on but never on a regular basis. I think if I use the cycle routes - I could reduce it to 60km but we have no showers at work so it's another negative. 

Mama - I'm not crazy

Edited: 10/05/2013 at 14:27
10/05/2013 at 14:31

Emmy - more like a downright nutter.....and it's not even for me..but for my Dad! I'm hoping to get an autograph or a photo......

10/05/2013 at 16:13

Some pics would be great...Wiggo has just crashed!

10/05/2013 at 19:10

Mission accomplished! Poor bradley though came off in terrible conditions. That last descent is where i go running on weekends and there are some very tight bends. Wiggo is a top bloke, despite being shook up and grazed and it was chucking it down,i got an autograph a photo of him and a signed drinks bottle. Must have been the last thing he needed but he was ace. Then ran off to see cavendish who was on the podium....and he turned round as soon he heard my broad yorkshire accent in amongst the italians and again, despite being shattered and soaked i got an autograph for my dad and a photo. Well chuffed is an understatement and really admire these 2 athletes.

10/05/2013 at 19:11

Sk - well done to your nephew! I love hearing about young athletes coming on.

10/05/2013 at 19:24

Wow Marathon Molly, what a great day you've had. Autographs from both AND a signed bottle, very jealous. Your dad will be so chuffed. They are both great role models for kids, far superior to the x factor z lists that fill the papers.

My nephew is doing great and has won lots of national titles but still young so a way to go. He'll be so lucky if he is able to make a living from doing something he loves, even if only for a few years.

10/05/2013 at 20:10

lol

reporting for my verbal bashing

not training though as been busy working and it still hurts not that i have had a chance to run often enough to try and make it hurt enough to be able to go to doctors and have something to point too

Not doing DD as it would be silly to try it in this state, not had a response yet from the person top of the back up list though...

VR it worth skipping that and emailing roger direct to see if he knows of someone wanting a spot being its 4 weeks away?

10/05/2013 at 20:42

Oh that's a shame Keith  I was looking forward to seeing you 

hope you get it sorted?

yeah email Rog even if its just to let him know you can't run.

10/05/2013 at 23:12

Hi Shades - any thoughts on a plan for the next 6 weeks from 13th May, prior to my Half?  The third week will have very little running and the end of the 6th week will be race day.  Most Wednesdays will be the club hill/speed session and this is about 5 or 6 miles total, with 2 or 3 miles of efforts.

Advice on training paces, long runs etc, would be appreciated.  This week has been an easy week (3 sessions, totalling about 15) and I'm not carrying any real injuries at the moment (right achiles is a bit sore, but doesn't seem to be holding me up).

I feel I've lost a bit of speed in the last few weeks so to have a chance of cracking 1:40 I feel I have some work to do and it may not be possible (which means my sister-in-law will probably be beating me....).

A quick reminder of recent times from March:

1:42 at Bideford Half

43min at Exeter 10K (this is probably more like a 45min 10K on a fairer course).

11/05/2013 at 07:04

Emmy  - that would be a good commute, but if you had a rotten day at work and the weather was awful the thought of the trip home at that distance might make you sleep at the office.

molly - wow, you did well, the lip gloss (and the Yorkshire accent) must have worked.   I'm a great fan of both especially Mark Cavendish.

Keith - sorry to hear you're not doing DD.  You can always offer your place to next on the list, I'm sure with DD you can choose who you'd like your place to go to and if the guy on the top hasn't bothered to reply then he can't be that keen.

Big G - Have any post marathon aches all gone now?   I will give it some thought and put something together on Mon/Tues.  

I'm short on time today, hasty shop and library for my Mum, then pack and I'm driving to Essex for Halstead marathon tomorrow and probably won't be home until 9pm tomorrow night.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.