Shades Marathon Training

61,021 to 61,040 of 66,763 messages
11/05/2013 at 17:31

Shades - good luck at halstead! I was very close to joining you. It's good to hear that your ankle is doing well.

my commute is hell every day. I normally work from home until the jams have passed and then go to work and come home vice versa. this makes for some very long days! I'm lucky that I can work from home occasionally but I hate my commute. It's one reason I looked at cycling. It's still going to take me roughly 2 hours but I could be there at 9 and home at 7. It'd still be quicker than my commute With the car!

i overslept today :/ and have been at a kids party all day so I'll run tomorrow morning

good luck to VR in her ultra And anyone else running!

11/05/2013 at 20:11

i couldnt imagine a 2hr cycle each way everyday.

i was ment to do a run tonight but the allure of chicken enchiladas was too great.. getting paranoid about getting another injury. starting to watch every step i take, so scared to go running. getting excited now.

12/05/2013 at 12:33

Sheffield Half mara.      

did not feel tat good today got there in plenty of time and had a good warm up.  set off at 1:32 pace, but by mile 5 knew that was not going to happen so slowed down to do a sub 1:35 pace.  Went ok but was very tired at mile 8.  Made a mess of the pace I needed to run to do a sub 1:35 but did not realise until mile 12.  Did the last mile in 6:30 but did not quit make it and finished in 1:35:07.  

Should be happy really as last time out in Sheff I was 1:44 and beat my PB of 1:38 in the GNR, but for some reason I feel a little deflated.

oh well I will stop moaning now and watch the F1 with a couple of beers

12/05/2013 at 15:00

Well done S32, that's a great run so you definitely shouldn't feel deflated, especially given it's only been a couple of weeks since your marathon. I'm sure next time you'll be able to shave those 7 seconds off no problem.

I did a 10 mile run this morning mainly at easy pace. But managed a 7:16 mile at mile 7 as this guy overtook me so tried to keep up with him for a bit

12/05/2013 at 16:44

well done S32 fantastic time..with 2 weeks left before my marathon i am terrified that if i run ill reinjure as i still feel a slight twinge as i run and i cant afford to tear my calf again. would it be detrimental to my marathon if i dont run for the next 2 weeks and substitute it for cycling and walking? 

13/05/2013 at 08:11

Well done S32! That's a great run! I agree with Slowkoala - it's not been that long since your last marathon. Give yourself a break

Iain - i'll postpone any comment to Shades

I went out for an absolutely beautiful run yesterday. I loved every single second of it. Admittedly it was in the rain but you can't have everything!

I've seen on FB that VR had a good time in Ireland (and a cracking medal!).

13/05/2013 at 08:20

Only just got internet connection this morning so no time to read or comment, will be back on line at lunchtime

13/05/2013 at 08:21

VR - details and medal on here please, some of use don't use FB!

13/05/2013 at 08:36

lol naughty VR

Some of use do use FB but alas VR not accepted my friend request yet

A little pushed for time right now but i 'may' have some indications to what part of my leg is buggered. I'll either stick something up later today when i get bored at work in the afternoon or tonight.

For now lets just say when in the bath i noticed that when i leant forward the left hip area seems to bulge out far more noticeably then the right which i can only assume is some sort of muscle damage???

Managed 7 miles odd yesterday no pains running at all (well other than the hill and a sore butt where i failed muddy ditch jumping...) yet today it has a nice deep so to speak dull ache but doesn't hurt in an acute manner when moving about.

Hopefully get car back later this week then trip to docs for a pokey

13/05/2013 at 08:38

No FB for me either! photo of the medal please

S32 that's an excellent time you should be really pleased with that

Emmy - great to hear you had a fab run

Iain - I didn't run at all for the last 3 weeks before my first ever marathon (4.12) as I was worried about my leg. I swam twice a week and that was it (with a float just using my legs). The actual marathon went fine so don't worry.

I went out on my mtb and did 50km yesterday (ice cream break in the middle) as I had a massive argument with the raving banshee (ie teenage daughter) and i just had to get out of the house, 

13/05/2013 at 08:44
marathon molly wrote (see)

I went out on my mtb and did 50km yesterday (ice cream break in the middle) as I had a massive argument with the raving banshee (ie teenage daughter) and i just had to get out of the house, 

That sounds like a good as an excuse as any! Is your dad happy with his autographs? They were definitely really good guys to stop and get pictures done as well!

13/05/2013 at 13:25

S3200H - that's a brilliant time for your half and still a PB.   I guess you're only cross with yourself as you know there is more to come and it just didn't happen on the day.  

Slowkoala - that speed is back

Iain - if you take up walking and cycling, both which will use slightly different muscles that won't help your race at all.   Keep stretching, massage too, and short runs at an 'easy' pace, no speed stuff at all.

Keith - interesting injury!

I thought you didn't go on FB!

molly - I have registered with FB as an event I'm doing in July don't have a website and the only way to get the race info is from FB but I am plagued all the time by folk wanting to be my friend, I've disabled as much as I can but I'm still hounded.   I think FB is awful and used by sad and lonely people that like to spend their time stalking others or like 2nd hand living by reading what others are up to.

Had a good run yesterday at Halstead, season's best of 4:56, love this course but have never run well on it.   M25 was a nightmare drive home, made good time after that, home at 9.30pm.   Tired today but have done my recovery run

13/05/2013 at 14:07

Shades - i did a easy pace run yesterday after posting that last message as i was going crazy sitting indoors. My calf felt ok but i was ever so conscious of the injury. As far as the walking goes i am a postie so i walk 5-8 miles a day and i cycle to work.    I'll make sure i do easy runs for the next few days and try prevent anyfurther damage!! BTW well done on your season best time..

13/05/2013 at 14:17

Iain - apologies, I've forgotten what marathon it is you're going for.  Can you remind me?

S3200H - great time by you.  I know what you mean about getting a PB but being disappointed.  I had that experience in March at Exeter where I was pretty annoyed with both the event (there was a late change of course) and myself.

13/05/2013 at 14:22

Big_G its Edinburgh marathon. they say its one of the faster  ones and a good one for a PB. Currently my PB is from Edinburgh last year. Just hope this year isnt as hot.

13/05/2013 at 14:30

My sister-in-law (the one I'm trying to beat at my next Half in June) did Edinburgh last year and she said it was very hot as well.  Fingers crossed the conditions are better this year.

13/05/2013 at 14:39

It was insane. I hadnt counted on the heat and with 7 miles to go i started to cramp badly, it took me 1hr 10min to finish them. what killed me was i was on course for a good for age entry into london this year but missed it by 11 min. . forcast is for 14 deg so hope to have a cooler race. Should be meeting the family around the 9 mile mark where myOH will have a bottle of rehydrate electrolyte juice..still not sure if ill get the time i want but as long as i beat last years time!

13/05/2013 at 14:55

S32 - Yes you should be very pleased with yourself.. you have knocked off 9 mins since the last time you did that race.. AND just after a marathon - Well done!

Shades - well done on your seasons best performance at Halstead.. looks like your ankle recovered completely then!

Did my first race since injury yesterday. Started off badly, up nearly all night with ill toddler who finally went off to sleep at 4am, staggered out of house at 6.30am (after yet again being unable to stomach porridge - don't know how you lot do it) feeling like death. Usually I use a map but have swanky new phone so used GPS instead. Never. Again. Bloody thing had me going back and fore between two roundabouts in groundhog day fashion until I realised what was happening and changed route.  Switched it back on again later as didn't have choice (no map in car) and thankfully found destination. All this meant that I arrived JUST in time to put number on and gallop off after everyone else. As usual.

This course was described as a 13k trail with some "uneven" ground. Either this was a serious underestimation or I need to brush up on my french. I was expecting nice earth paths between vines or along meandering rivers.. but no. Started off calmly enough but 10 mins in warning bells should have started ringing when we had to climb in through a window of a ruined house, run through the (rocky) remains of the rooms climbing out the other side then dancing over stones to cross a stream. The rest of the course involved some nice paths interspersed with other commando type challenges - crossing a river on a log clinging (in my case) to overhanging branches..etc etc. At one point we were scaling the side of this extremely steep bank, in my opinion only possible if you happened to be a goat, when I caught a glimpse of a nice smooth strip of tarmac and I can honestly say a road has never looked so inviting. The main problem with all this scrambling was that this course was supposed to be a gentle reintroduction to running again for my poor knee! I was so paranoid about hurting it again I ended up hopping down steep inclines on my good knee and getting in a right state. Anyway, the last 3k were flat and normal (sort of) and I felt good and managed to overtake a fair number of people which gave me a bit of a confidence boost! Unfortunately they had put the free spicy sausage sandwich man behind the finish line which meant in my excitement to get to them I forgot to stop my garmin......

Results just posted today and I did 1h 17 coming about half way through field. Overall I am pleased as I have proved to myself that I can run again! (mentally snapping Nordic walking stick over knee). My knee is a bit niggly today - WHAT a suprise - so I will rest for a day or two then maybe go out for an easy run mid week.

13/05/2013 at 16:36

Shades - I cant get on FB at work you mean It has its uses not least [playing scrabble with various people like Bridget. Anyway further to what i stuck up this morning the ache is both around the hip (well a little below) on the fornt and also i can feel aches in my bottom too... Roughly opposite the front side one, i think its more of a side ache than front one and assume the backside pain is just referring. This gonna be more an abductor thing than a ITB one i presume espcially as there is no knee pain which is meant to be there for all ITB's

13/05/2013 at 18:17

Shades, congrats on the season's best at Halstead. Can't believe you trot out the recovery runs the very next day. Hope the ankle is OK.

Mamafox, sounds like one hell of a challenging race to choose for your comeback! Diving through windows and scrambling up hills?! Think anyone would feel a little sore the next day. Hope your knee continues to be OK.

I have lost a toenail and have three wobbly ones Ladies, is it OK to just use nail varnish on the skin?!

BUPA 10k pack arrived today. Hoping this one will be the full 10k. Mo is doing it again, maybe he'll just run 5k

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.