Shades Marathon Training

61,061 to 61,080 of 65,146 messages
15/05/2013 at 07:10

(((molly)) - sorry to hear about your family argument...try and let it go mentally...but of course stick to your guns.

Iain - a short marathon is not acceptable, it happened when I ran Jersey and although we told the organisers they didn't have the balls to tell their runners, crap commercial company not organised by runners.

Slowkoala - i think your 13 yr old is right about FB being for old biddies...that's obviously why I don't use it

Big G - you fancy doing DD in the future?

15/05/2013 at 07:27
SHADES wrote (see)

Emmy - your knee injury will take a bit of time to heal but that's usual for that sort of injury, it will be fine.

Is this next marathon road/off road?

Re training for Berlin and your sub 4.30 goal, no more multiple marathons for a while...they will slow your marathon pace as will ultras.

It's going to be on road so no issues with uneven ground! Thanks for your advice RE: Berlin training. The only double planned is the enigma double in august and I didnt look at the date when I booked it (i know.... stupid mistake). I read it as July but it's August.

I was thinking of joining hubby this weekend when he goes to a hilly part of Belgium to practice hill running but it'd be on forest track. Do you think it's OK to do?

((Molly)) I also take everything to heart. It's great that your dad liked the presents! I'm lucky that my inlaws don't really talk too much to me (language barrier and all that).

15/05/2013 at 08:12
SHADES wrote (see)

Big G - you fancy doing DD in the future?

A year ago I would have accidentally spat tea at my computer screen on reading that, but it doesn't seem so far out of reach now although I know there would be a lot of work to do to get there.  In all seriousness, I'm not sure.  I think my favourite distance is still the Half and I want to chip away at my time there if I can.  

I am marshalling this year at the DD though, so if you're doing it I'll look out for you.  I'm near the 13 mile mark in Ashburton.

15/05/2013 at 08:13

Emmy - you should be OK for hill training, be careful with the knee so only uphill training not downhill training.   And avoid steep cambers too.  What's hubby training for?

I must try and do another hill training session this week.   I have an undulating marathon on Sunday, with a couple of tough hills in it too

15/05/2013 at 08:14

Big G - I will struggle to make the cutoffs at DD but I should be fine at Ashburton , will see you there

15/05/2013 at 08:21

Hi Shades, That's the plan to run the uphills and walk the downhills or take a long route back to a different hill. Hubby just likes playing on his MTB so loves the difficult terrain. He said that he was going with a few friends this weekend and as I know the area is quite hilly; thought it would be a nice change from my 'nomal' motorway bridge!

I'm quite looking forward to the Mittelrhein Marathon next weekend as i've heard that it's absolutely beautiful, although I wish that I was in Windermere this weekend to support the 10in10 runners coming in.

15/05/2013 at 08:52

Morning Shadies  - looks like everyone's getting out there and soem decent running.... I've been getting out a few times a week and feel like I'm ticking over, ahead of the St Albans Half in a few weeks time. 

Feels a bit flat since VLM (and the weather's awful) - but I've booked 3 HMs across the Summer to keep me focussed.

Hope all are feeling good, Tim

15/05/2013 at 08:54

Tim - What a great way to keep focused! Hope that your training is going well for the St. Albans half?

15/05/2013 at 08:59

Big G - I'll be at DD and more importantly at the Disco doing the 'Dartmoor shuffle'
Plus we will be celebrating the Rogers 100ths!! Its going to be some party!
Be warned. A lot of marshalls that help out around the course sign up for the race the next year. Just saying....

15/05/2013 at 10:09

Hi Folks - I'm back. Or rather, my computer is. Ended up needing a new hard drive, luckily it was covered by insurance. Being a bit of a Luddite it's taken me a couple of days to sort out security and passwords etc, and although I saved all my pics and docs to my stick I now realise that I've lost my list of favourite sites .

Lots of great running and racing going on here (and planning for future events).

VR - well done at the weekend . All that hill training has paid off. How are you doing in your championships?

Shades - great to meet up with you twice in the last two weeks . And two weeks of good weather as well.

After all the running I've done in the past few weeks, with not a niggle, an aching muscle or even a blister, I could have kicked myself on Sunday evening - I stubbed my little toe on a chair leg. Within half an hour it was twice as fat as usual and the lurid purple, green and brown bruising covered not only the toe but the surrounding foot as well . Had to hobble on Monday, but with copious amounts of arnica both the swelling and colour have gone down. Did a short recovery run yesterday evening and have been to the gym, so hopefully not much real damage.

((Molly)) hope everything works out. I'm really lucky as my SIL and my DIL are both fantastic. And I've got a new grand-daughter, now just three weeks old. No race this weekend (!), so off to see her again.

15/05/2013 at 11:01

Mowser! Welcome back! Many congratulations on the grand daughter!

15/05/2013 at 12:47

Welcome back Mowser! We've missed you and congratulations on your new member of your family.
I'm doing quite well in the Championship so far, thanks. Still a few more races to do though.  

15/05/2013 at 13:15

Emmy - I'm leaving to drive to Windermere at about 4am on Saturday morning so I'll be on the course to support the 10 in 10 runners on their Day 9 (which for me was probably one of the worst days of my life).   I adore the course and can't wait to run it again on the Sunday.

Motorway bridges must be an awful venue for hill training.  Good idea to walk the downhills at the weekend.

Rattler - it's often like that after a marathon, once you're a few days away from your next race your mojo will return.

VR - LOL at the Dartmoor Shuffle.  I don't think I'll be going to the disco as I'm travelling to Ireland the next morning with very tired legs, even if I don't make the cut off my legs will still be tired

mowser - congrats on your new grand daughter, and good to see you too the last couple of weeks.

Just as well you've got your computer back now too, you'll be wanting to catch up on few race entries

15/05/2013 at 16:07

Mowzer - congrats on the new arrival!

Molly - really hope you are over the run in with the SIL.. best not to dwell on it but just put it behind you (bet she was feeling just as bad as you!)

Did my 10k hills circuit this morning and knocked 2 mins off last weeks time with no niggle in knee at all 

15/05/2013 at 17:50

Shades - what happens if you don't make the cut off?  Does it still "count" for one of your marathons (presuming you get through 26.2 before the cut off?).

15/05/2013 at 18:19

Big G - it won't count. As you have to finish the actual event advertised. Even if it was a 100 mile event and for example you pulled out at 90 miles, it still wouldn't count towards your marathon tally. So we have to try and beat the cut offs!

15/05/2013 at 18:56

VR - that's a shame, but I can see the logic. Another stupid question; if you complete a 100mile event before the cut off does that count as 1 marathon or 3?

15/05/2013 at 18:58

It's just 1, Big G

15/05/2013 at 20:21

Hi All not been on for while,have spoke ont this forum a few times about me training for my first Marthon and just wanted to let you know that i completed the Manchester  marathon in 3hs 13 min was really pleased with it wasnt expecting that time at all.I had a fantastic day and cant wait for my next marathon outing. Have been injured since though due to a bad back not sure if it was a mixture of the run and work related but cant wait to get back out running and training for my next event where ever that might be.

15/05/2013 at 21:08

wow steven that is a super fast time well done...

i went for one of my "easy" runs today, did a 10k route and i just cant get it under 40 min.. total time 40:22. grrr ill blame the hill..think im ready for my marathon...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.