Shades Marathon Training

61,101 to 61,120 of 66,548 messages
17/05/2013 at 07:58

HI Shades - any thoghts on the below for a plan for the Torbay Half?

w/c 20/5:  5 recovery, 5 hard (club), 8 with 5 at half mara pace, 12 slow (total 30)

w/c 27/5:  Just 6 slow, hopefully.

w/c 3/6:  5 slow, 5 hard (club), 8 with 5 at half mara pace, 16 slow (total 34) 

w/c 10/6:  5 recovery, 5 hard (club), 8 with 5 at half mara pace, 14 slow (is this too much the week before the event?)  (total 32)

w/c 17/6:  5 recovery, Club session (should I run fairly easily here, as opposed to hard?), 5 slow, RACE (total 28)

17/05/2013 at 09:30

Some good running going on here as usual.

Iain - That's a really good effort on the fund raising, hope it all goes well in Edinburgh. I did it last year as well..was a stunning day for it. I was taking it easy so didn't find it too hot.

So far so good with my come back, right calf still doesn't feel quite right & is hard not to think about it whilst running. Almost feels a little numb with the odd ache that seems to move around.....weird, but no pain at all. I'm wearing a calf sleeve just on the right calf & no idea if it helps or not, but mentally it certainly does.

I've been following this recovery plan just to have something to follow really so I don't get carried away. Just completed 20min run/2min walk/10min run this morning. That's 24 miles done in May now almost a marathon.

http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/stressfracture.shtml

Have a good weekend all & good luck to those doing any races.

17/05/2013 at 13:05

Big G - that looks a very good plan, sorry I hadn't out anything together haven't had a chance to sit down at the PC at home this week, posting from work now.

Re w/c 10/6 - no that's not too much the week before your race.   But if you are feeling tired drop the distance to 8 to 10 miles for the long run.

and w/c 17/6 - yes, run easy at club session just in case...you have a battle to win on race day.

KK - you had me very worried there when I saw the link said stress fracture!   You maybe have some scar tissue in the calf which will give a feeling of 'something there'.

I'm signing off now for the weekend, lots to do tonight and want to try and get an earlyish night as I plan to be up at 3am to leave at 4am for Cumbria.    Supporting the 10 in 10 runners tomorrow and then running Windermere marathon on Sunday, 6+ hour drive home after the race home late Sunday, back on line Monday.

Have a good weekend all and good luck to all racing.

17/05/2013 at 13:09

Shades - have fun at 10in10 and enjoy yourself!

17/05/2013 at 13:20

4am drive up to the lakes...best time to be on the roads. Windermere marathon is on my to do list somewhere. Have fun.

Ha ha no stress fracture. Just did a google for a plan and that came up, as I say it just keeps me sensible and controls the return back to running otherwise I'd make it up as I went along and probably do too much too soon.

17/05/2013 at 13:31

My God Shades, I think you are a little mad,      hope enjoy yourself.

been a mad week for me, thank you all for your comments re HM. I am very happy with the time I did, so don't understand why I feel disappointed  

will be on the bench for a bit I fear, had a lot of pain in the side of my knee the morning after the race last week.  hard to walk for a couple of days, and still a little painful now,

hope everyone has a good weekend

17/05/2013 at 13:46

kingkenny - i really struggled with the heat in edinburgh last year. just hope its cooler next weekend.

last couple of runs this week and then the long drive from london to edinburgh on friday...not looking forward to it. on a plus note ill see my mum and dad...

17/05/2013 at 14:09

Shades, hope you have a good race in the lakes.

S32, I've had knee pain on my right knee for my last couple of runs. Have you had knee trouble before? Mine comes on about a mile into the run. Very frustrating as I'm supposed to be doing a timed 5k tomorrow. Hope yours gets better with some rest. I think I spoke to soon about everyone leaving the injury bench

Edited: 17/05/2013 at 14:10
17/05/2013 at 14:26

S32 and Slowkoala - where is the pain on your knee? Whch side of the knee? outside or inside? If it's outside look at some ITB/ tensor fascia lata(e) stretches.

I was told a bag of iced peas for 10mins followed by a hot water bottle for 10mins and repeat for 40 minutes in total.

Slowkoala - Good luck with the timed trial!

It looks like my 'hill' training is posponed as they're moving where they are going MTB'ing and it's not suitable for runners. So it'll just be a nice plod around my local area with the motorway bridge

17/05/2013 at 14:47

Thanks Emmy, I think the pain is on the side but not entirely sure (knee actually feels numb now after icing for 10 mins!) Will try the hot water bottle and exercises. 

Hope you have a good (pain free) run.

17/05/2013 at 15:36

yes had trouble before, set of to run and 1.5 miles in stabbing pain in the outside of my knee. it started around feb 2009 and took me 18 months to sort it out.  had MRI scans, injections and so much physio, bike fits gait checks etc etc cost so much money, thankfully in westfield so that covered some of it.  through in the towel as I was not getting any better.  After about 6 months of doing nothing tried running again and have been fine until this point. 

I was training for Iron Man 70.3 back then so continued swimming and cycling, as I was convinced that the pain was caused by running.   for the last year I have believed that the bike caused the problem.  I have been very careful to build up slowly over the last year, so I am hoping that the problem is running a fast mara and a fast HM in 2 weeks and just need a bit of rest.   Must admit I am a bit worried at the moment though.

17/05/2013 at 15:43

S32 - I'm crossing my fingers that it's nothing serious.

17/05/2013 at 15:49

Thanks Emmy

17/05/2013 at 17:56

((SK &  S32)) hope it's nothing serious and you'll be off the injury bench soon

Shades - have a good run and a lovely weekend.

You're right, 4.2km is a weird distance - and a horrible one! I'm finding it much harder doing speedwork rather than doing LSRs. At the moment it takes me around 21 minutes and originally I wanted to do it in 19 mins but I've now realised that I'm not capable of doing it so quick. I've got another 6 weeks to go before the race and to be in with a chance of winning something (it's a team race) me & my sister need to have a combined time of just under 40 min.

Emmy - I'm ok now, I've just got to accept that I don't have to fit in and that I must do what I want to do and ignore what's expected of me.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!

17/05/2013 at 22:02

Had a chesty cough and so taken the running a bit easy this week since coming home from America. To be honest i've just one 7 mile run - that was yesterday. I might go for a 10 miler tomorrow morning and then do another 10 miler on Sunday to see how I get on. 

17/05/2013 at 22:37

Shades - hope you enjoy Windermere. I can't imagine doing all that driving, I get restless and fidgetty after just an hour . Yes, I've started looking at races now I've got my computer back. Trouble is, I am really dithering and can't make up my mind. Still considering Florence, as have just enough holiday left to cover it.

Steven - that's a very speedy marathon . Do be careful with your back.

Molly - 4.2k ouch! that is going to HURT. Or you could get your sister to do a 15mins, then you could roll up in 25 . I've decided I like flat too. Especially with a downhill, and not too cold, nor too hot, and preferably with a tailwind to push me along. Oh, and definitely not in the dark.

Rattler - I did St Albans half a few years ago. Didn't have a very good run - it was hilly (east of St A is flat, west is hilly, but I didn't realise that then), there was a heatwave, the promised ice lollies at the finish had all been eaten and it took over an hour just to get out of the carpark. I must have been such a wimp.

bootsie - any news yet? Glad your young horse is coming on ok.

VR - hope you've still got those false eyelashes for your disco

18/05/2013 at 08:05

Rattler and Sofaboy there is a photo on my marathonfoto page that has all 3 of us in it

18/05/2013 at 08:17

I tried catching up on posts but gave up. Mamafox your commando spicey sausages run post was awesome though

18/05/2013 at 19:31

I went ahead with the timed 5k even though I thought the sensible thing was to rest the knee for a couple of days. Weirdly had no knee pain today. Not sure if this was going at a faster pace, running off road or only doing 5k but was very relieved. Did 21:17 which was ok, just happy no pain.  

Welcome back Khani, hope the chest is getting better.

18/05/2013 at 21:25

Tried a max hr test today. It was LOL. I didn't manage the 800m sprint or the 400m sprint 90 seconds later. I don't know how to manage pace at those distances and I ran too fast and ran out of steam. I went on to do a 7 mile easy pace run but spent the first two miles spitting due to the attempted lol sprint.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.