Shades Marathon Training

61,121 to 61,140 of 66,183 messages
18/05/2013 at 19:31

I went ahead with the timed 5k even though I thought the sensible thing was to rest the knee for a couple of days. Weirdly had no knee pain today. Not sure if this was going at a faster pace, running off road or only doing 5k but was very relieved. Did 21:17 which was ok, just happy no pain.  

Welcome back Khani, hope the chest is getting better.

18/05/2013 at 21:25

Tried a max hr test today. It was LOL. I didn't manage the 800m sprint or the 400m sprint 90 seconds later. I don't know how to manage pace at those distances and I ran too fast and ran out of steam. I went on to do a 7 mile easy pace run but spent the first two miles spitting due to the attempted lol sprint.

19/05/2013 at 13:50

ive been so paranoid about injuring myself again i have hardly run in the past 2 weeks and my OH is on the verge of killing me cause im like a bear with a sore head, not in the best mood. Anyone else get like this if they dont run for a while.

19/05/2013 at 13:57

Iain - yup I decided to go swimming when it was a muscle injury which helped a lot. When I had a cold/chesty cough though i was a nightmare.. more so than usual anyway

I did a 13 mile run today - it felt great for the first 7.. then as i turned around and started running home i got dehydrated and by the end it felt more like 18 /sigh. 

I really need to build that weekly mileage up. Slowly but surely. Todays run was at an EXTREMELY leisurely pace

19/05/2013 at 14:20

glad to see im not the only one..i think im just being over cautious as the last thing i need is another injury. only a week to go then i can relax for a few weeks until it all starts again.. 

19/05/2013 at 21:15

Shades over the next 3 months I plan to run slowly. Very slowly (10:30-11:00 min/mile) so that I can build up to 50mpw and beyond. Can you tell me in your opinion whether there is any major disadvantage in running the way below as opposed to using your plan?:

Mon 0 Tue 4 Wed 4 Thu 6 Fri 0 Sat 16 Sun 10  for a 40 mile week or

Mon 0 Tue 4 Wed 8 Thu 8 Fri 0 Sat 22 Sun 10  for a 52 mile week

i believe the advantage of the above (since I'm not doing any speedwork) is that running lots of miles on sat and sun back to back will prepare me for ultra as I will be running on tired legs and should help me in marathon too right? What do you think? Should I give this a go or stick with the kind of plan you use? If the above seems ok would you change anything?

Edited: 19/05/2013 at 21:26
20/05/2013 at 00:17

Leisurely trot along the river today. Sunny & warm, lots of canal boats and bikers out. Stopped off halfway back at a lock-keepers cottage that doubles up as a 'tea-place'. Sat in the shade for 15 mins and had a very refreshing cream soda float. Heavenly

20/05/2013 at 07:15

Molly - you may surprise yourself on race day with the extra adrenaline.

Khanivore - we missed you, I wondered where you were.   Hard to do a MHR test after having a chesty cold but if you feel you didn't reach your max add on 5 beats and do the test in a month or so.

Re training plan - you don't have a marathon or ultra for quite a while do you?  I would suggest that you focus on building your base and increasing your weekly mileage.   For this (and without a marathon in the next couple of months) I would suggest that you don't do any long runs over 10 miles and spread the remainder of the mileage over the other 4 or 5 days.  This will be the easiest way to up your mileage with the least risk of injury.   Long runs are tiring!

When I want to get my mileage up to it's peak I don't do any long runs but run more often so do doubles on a few days.

mowzer - am still hoping to get ot Florence, will try again re the flights when i get a bit of time.   Glad you're enjoying your race free weekend

Slowkoala - glad the knee seems OK, well done on speedy 5k.

Iain - only 6 days now, race day will soon be here

Had a fabulous weekend in the Lakes, a lot of driving but that wasn't too bad, managed to get home in 5 and a half hours, home at 10pm last night.  Am tired but not too bad.   Didn't do a decent time 5.06 but really enjoyed the race, I love the course and it's very special to me so enjoyed taking in all the sights, weather was perfect.

have raced the last 7 weekends so now looking forward to a race free BH weekend at home, need to catch up on stuff at home to.

20/05/2013 at 07:52

Glad you had a good weekend in the Lakes, Shades. The scenery is spectacular up there, it must be great to run alongside.

Think I spoke to soon re the knee. Only ran a mile yesterday and the pain came. Had to get OH to pick me up! I think it was brought on by running downhill. No running for me for a few days and will see if I can sort with ice and foam rolling. Do you think a sports massage would help? Supposed to be doing BUPA 10k on Monday but won't do if pain this week.

20/05/2013 at 08:06

yup only 6 days. Getting excited but at the same time concerned as my 3yr old has bacterial tonsilitis and scarlet fever and this morning i woke up with a heavy chest and a sore throat. Last thing i need, ill go out today and try run it through my system so im fighting fit for sunday. only consolation is im off for 2 weeks so i can "rest".

20/05/2013 at 08:23

Iain - you can't run an illness through your system, more likely to make you worse.   Rest and treat the sore throat.

Slowkoala - sorry to hear that.  I would rest that knee for a few days then see how it is. Then gently back to running but only on the flat.  Hopefuly you'll be fine for Monday.

20/05/2013 at 08:58

Good to have you back Khani, and Shades I'm glad you had a great weekend.  I've never actually been to the Lakes but my Father-in-law loves it there.  He runs some holiday flats which are busy in the summer/peak periods but not so busy in the quieter times so has quite a lot of spare time.  He tends to go to the Lakes about 10-weeks a year and stays in a particular place and does a lot of walking up there and he loves it.  Him and his wife are planning a LEJOG in their bikes for 2014.  They have two dogs though, so I'm not sure how that is going to work!

I went for a nice trot around the town I was born and bred in (Brixham).  I've never run around there, but I was over to see my Dad so decided to get out.  It was only about 7 miles in total but it was one of the best runs I think I've ever had!  I had my Garmin, but I was totally unconcerned with pace and the scenery gave me a real buzz.  I took the below which was one of many photo opportunities as pretty much the whole route was along the coast path.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-iWPwZJjn5QE/UZettbu1i-I/AAAAAAAAAOk/wiCF8hd5w2M/s1600/IMG_0650.jpg

Edited: 20/05/2013 at 08:59
20/05/2013 at 10:28

Shades - glad you enjoyed your weekend (and marathon) in the Lakes

Iain - good luck for Edinburgh. Look after your throat and the rest of yourself this week.

Won't be on here for another week as I'm off early tomorrow to do the Forces March (from Ilfracombe to Bulford) over 5 days. I really enjoyed it last year, but we did have the hottest week of the year. Not too sure about camping in the rain , so keeping my fingers crossed. Little toe is still swollen, but it's sore rather than hurting, and doesn't stop me running. I'm raising funds for the Veterans Charity so if anyone fancies throwing a few pennies my way I would be very grateful. Link is www.justgiving.com/Rita-Williams .

20/05/2013 at 10:29

Shades there is an ultra in September and another in early October that I am considering doing (1 not both). September is 50m and October is 38m. 

20/05/2013 at 11:07

Shades - Great to hear that you had a good day in the lake. I heard that it was quite emotional at the end and from the reports on facebook -your result put you quite high up there. A few friends came in just under 6 hours and said that it was one of the toughest that they had done.

Khani - good to see you back.

Slowkoala - Great to hear that you had no pain with the time trial. How has your knee been since then?

Mowser - Serious respect for you!

Iain - Get well soon. Agree with the others: rest is key.

Big G - I'm very jealous of your run! I wish all of mine could be as scenic as that.

I've been scouting out 'new' hills (i.e. new motorway bridges). I've found an 8 mile route that has 3 bridges with other one horrid bit by the road; the rest are quiet roads. I'm going to give it a go and see how I get on.

I've got Mittelrhein this weekend so it's just swimming, gym and 2 runs (5miles, 4 miles).

20/05/2013 at 11:52

Ill rest as much as i can. thankfully i dont feel too rough.

I'm lucky (or unlucky) depending who speak to, i live on a hill so no matter which way i run, ill always finish running up a hill, its only the length and gradient that vairies. 

Big_G really stunning views

20/05/2013 at 11:53

Emmy H - it's a strange one.  When I lived there (until the age of about 17/18) I didn't really fully appreciate it.  I didn't run then, so never ran around the coast but I was always out and about and in the summers as a kid I basically spent my life on the beach.  There is an open-air seawater pool and we all used to go there for hours on end, but for us it was just "normal".  Now I do appreciate it though and it was a great day to be out on Saturday.  It was sunny with a bit of a cooling breeze and there were very few people about.

20/05/2013 at 12:19

I've been for a recovery run  Bloody hell it hurts!
After my marathon yesterday at St Austell Imerys Clays. Organised by St Austell running club on the trails created by the 250 year old clay mining industry. 
Stunning and unique landscape and extremely hilly!
Managed to get in under 5 hours and win 1st vet prize!

Mowser have fun! You're amazing!

Big G - We are very lucky to live where we do

20/05/2013 at 12:36

Heres a pic of the landscape

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/249321/gallery/imerysclay1.png?width=350

20/05/2013 at 12:39

VR - well done on another prize.  You're running really well!

Yes, we're lucky here.  Dartmoor in one direction and the sea in another.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.