Shades Marathon Training

61,601 to 61,620 of 67,236 messages
12/06/2013 at 16:07

Hi...been lurking in and out of this thread for a little while - bout time I said 'hello' 

Shades - I'll pm you for a copy of your training plan if you don't mind.

I've done half dozen or so 1/2M over the last 5 or 6 years, and only one marathon - last year's VLM in 4:29. I did think I wouldn't do another one - not that I didn't enjoy it - I had a great day, just thought one would do. But...now I think maybe yes - perhaps next year (so a bit early for the training plan - but no harm in looking!).

Kinda lost my way a little after the VLM last year - haven't done any races since and wasn't really clocking up many miles. Got back into it a few months ago - lots of slow running by HR - averaging about 25-30 miles a week over 4 runs. Signed up for the Torbay 1/2M later this month (though I'm only expecting to bobble around). But have my mojo back

12/06/2013 at 17:42

VR haha - i did skim past that bit.. Not got to the juicy bit yet but will do soon I hope.

12/06/2013 at 17:44

My eating is out of control and i'm really struggling to get the motivation to get out and run in the rain today Argh!

12/06/2013 at 17:47

Khanivore, I am having a difficult eating day today too  Think the change of weather doesn't help!  I am definitely going to run now though, think it will break the desk/fridge/desk/fridge monotony...  Hope you manage to get out, I bet you will feel better for it.

12/06/2013 at 18:00

Come on Khani! Im going out in a mo too in the RAIN!
No excuses

12/06/2013 at 18:55

Bah VR thanks you did it. I'm going out. Owe you one!

12/06/2013 at 21:03

Lol! Wasn't so bad was it!

I went went to training and did 8 x 800s  god it hurt! 

So much for base training Lol!

12/06/2013 at 22:26

Just come back from Pilates and was starving so have had a pre bedtime snack of cassoulet, peanuts and milk choc! Whoops!

13/06/2013 at 00:05

Hi new Shadies - hope you stick around

Shades - yes, New Forest in September, haven't done it before but heard it was 'good'. Haven't decided about Florence - have booked up for the Druid Challenge at the beginning of November and not sure how much holiday I have left.

Khani - I have that book. Maffetone is very 'holistic', lots in there about diet, health, lifestyle, stress etc. but he has had good results. Remember he's only using some of the same ideas as Lydiard and Hadd. Think he's a bit of an erstwhile hippy .

At the gym today (doing a bit of core strength work) and finished off for last 10 mins on the X-trainer. Usually HR struggles to reach 90, but I glanced down after a couple of minutes and it read 179 . Almost gave me a heart attack - way over my limit. Must have been a left-over from the previous user .

13/06/2013 at 06:16

Podi - I've emailed you, had a bit of problem working out the email address, it's a RW problem, seen it before on mail.  

Great that you've decided to run another marathon.   Big G from this thread is doing Torbay half too, do you live in Devon area?

SK - you must have need that food!

mowzer - NFM is lovely, bit of off road, which I don't care for so much but it's not too long and it's early in the race, very pretty route through area where I couldn't afford a garden shed, lots of ponies too, who just ignore you!

I don't think those gym machine HR's work at all, do they?

We're definitely going to Florence now, out Friday back Monday

Khanivore - I think a lot of influential folk are a bit weird.    Hope you've got to the meaty part of the book now.

No run for me this morning, off to get ready now then pack and I'm off to Ireland today

Edited: 13/06/2013 at 06:18
13/06/2013 at 07:52

Morning Shadies,

Hope that everyone is doing well.

I managed 4 tempo miles this morning - am still a little confused about pacing but i'm sure that i'll figure it out once I sit down and sort out my plan

13/06/2013 at 08:11

Morning all,

5 easy miles for me though at times it felt like I was going to get blown away along the seafront!

Got the plans - thanks Shades. Yes I live in Devon - Torbay. In fact the start and finish for the half is less than 10mins walk from my house - so although I don't feel like I've done enough 'proper' training for it, I felt obliged to enter 

13/06/2013 at 08:17

Emmy - we'll sort your pacing out next week when I get back.   You're making great improvements and I think your next immediate goal is to run as even a pace during your marathons (and other races) as possible.

Podi - good, glad you got the plans and welcome to the thread, there's a few of us in the Newton Abbot area, hence my question.

all packed, just a quick tidy up and off to the airport.   Back Sunday pm

have a good weekend folks and good luck to all racing

13/06/2013 at 08:42

Hi Shades, there's no rush - it's just an interest to me how my pacing has changed. I think you're right - I need to focus on even pacing during races. I'm getting better at not going out like a  bullet at the start of races but it's just the inbetween section around 15-16 miles where I tend to struggle.

Have a great weekend in Ireland - I hope the weather stays dry for you!

We're having a mixture of short showers and humidity at the moment. Quite strange!

How is everyone else getting on?

Mowser - I did the half a few years ago and loved it. I'd love to go back to the New Forest for the full at some point but it's too close to Berlin this year.

VR - Florence is definitely on my todo list but i'm just not sure I can do it in one weekend. I have no holiday left for 2013.

13/06/2013 at 16:53

no running here still and would love to be running in the rain.. my runners are looking up at me sadly! fingers crossed next week will bring better news!

14/06/2013 at 06:55

Thanks for sending over the plan Shades - my long run is up around 15 miles at the mo - should I hop in at the relevant week on the plan, or start back at the beginning?  I've got plenty of time, but am also rather enjoying my long runs, and fear getting a bit disheartened if I go back to 8-10 miles.

Bootsie, sorry you are not able to run, it must be very frustrating! Hope next week is better for you.

Podi, that sounds like quite a fun run!  Would really enjoy some seafront running I think

Emmy, we have similar weather up in the North East - it's a lovely sunny but cool morning now though - must get out before it changes!

14/06/2013 at 09:42

Madbee - Shades is in Ireland.... again! She wont be back online until Monday.
I would say that it is fine to jump in at the relevent week. Its great that your enjoying your long runs  

14/06/2013 at 09:43

Emmy - I've been looking at European marathons for next year! Have you got any on your wish list yet?

14/06/2013 at 09:53

Madbee - It's a mixture of sun and cloud here but it's changing every 5 minutes

VR - Always

Barcelona - March: Booked

Paris - April: to be confirmed

Cologne - October.

I think the world is relatively my oyster Madrid, Stockholm, Hamburg, Lisbon, Midsummer night marathon (norway), Munich (if they change the date to stop clashing with Cologne). I'm also interested in a few polish marathons as i've heard that they're quite good (Krakow.Lodz). Maybe Zagreb? What do you have on your list that I can steal? 

14/06/2013 at 09:58

shades gets to go home more than me! no fair! I need to book some trips home!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.