Shades Marathon Training

61,721 to 61,740 of 66,532 messages
21/06/2013 at 06:55

WD - have you spoken to the doc about the problem with not being able to sweat?    It is a problem as your body needs to be able to control your temperature.  

Khanivore - good to hear you are going to join a club, I think all runners should be in a club even if they're unable to attend very often.   I've been a club member since 1996 and although I don't train with a club, that's because I prefer to run in the morning, it's the best thing you can do for your running.   I did even have my own club for 3 years which is when I wrote the training plans for the marathon.

I even used to be in a club in your area Seaford Striders, but that was for another reason.

One piece of cake a day only!!!   Hope the back heals soon.

Iain - are you following the Khanivore eating plan?.LOL     I hope the rest has given your hamstrings a chance to loosen up and any other niggles to clear up.   I think you'll enjoy being a club runner too.

SK - the marathon, particularly your first, can really take it out of you and take some months to recover fully.  I think you are now bouncing back to your normal energy levels.

I have no training plans for sports days, but you have to be ruthless and give it your all

I'm glad somebody was impressed I saw the Wanted

21/06/2013 at 07:02

Another encouragement for club-running.  I was a bit scared to join one as I thought I was a pathetic runner and you had to be good to join a club - turns out I'm easily in the middle group at the club I eventually managed to get myself along to, and I've had some great advice from some really experienced guys.  I can only train with them once a week because of work commitments, but after only about 7-8 weeks I can see an improvement in my running, and I love the social side of it - makes it much easier to know I am guaranteed a quality run on a Wednesday night and I will have people to help me through it.

Koala, great news  Hope things continue to improve for you.

Ankle still niggling but not properly hurting - wondering whether to rest it a bit, but don't want to stop as it's not really a proper injury.  Hmm.  Any thoughts on niggles and whether or not to ignore them, anyone? 

Edited: 21/06/2013 at 07:03
21/06/2013 at 07:06

Madbee - rest it for a couple of days, as niggles can turn in to injuries.

21/06/2013 at 07:11

Madbee - that's a great endorsement for joining a running club.    Of course the other thing is you can talk running as much as you want, OH's, friends and family are not always so keen to talk running.

Re niggles, it's so hard to know what's a niggle or an injury, whether to run or not.   It might be worth trying to find out what is wrong with it.   I have a niggly ankle too, which is getting better and I do find strapping it up now and then does help.

21/06/2013 at 07:15

Sorry, just re-read what I wrote and it sounds really obvious to do as you say SK!  The reason I'm not sure what to do is that I do rest for a couple of days at a time every week, and it goes away, but as soon as I run again it's back - so I guess I would be looking at say a week's rest to see if it will then go away without coming back... which seems a long time!

21/06/2013 at 08:22

Madbee - it doesn't sound too serious so best to deal with it now.

Emmy - good luck for tonight's marathon

21/06/2013 at 08:26
SHADES wrote (see)

I have no training plans for sports days, but you have to be ruthless and give it your all

I love your advice Shades!

SHADES wrote (see)

Emmy - good luck for tonight's marathon

Thank you! I'm working from home to try and avoid any 'stress' from driving etc. It's been raining a lot today so trying to work out what to wear :/

21/06/2013 at 08:56

Yes, good luck Emmy! 

Morning Shadies

21/06/2013 at 08:57

Good luck Emmy

21/06/2013 at 10:07

Good luck Emmy

Final prep for Torbay Half for me.  My sister-in-law (the person who I have a wager with on this event) is staying with us for the weekend.  I think I'll "accidentally" put the radiator on in her room and lock the windows so she doesn't get any sleep whilst staying here

I feel fine, but I got some cramp in my left calf and it feels a bit tender.  I've got a slow run after work today and I'm hopeful it'll fine, and I'll be doing some stretches too.

Conditions look okay, although the forecast does predict strong winds which won't be great as some of the course is exposed to the wind.

It must be serious as I'm missing my favourite beer festival of the whole year which is taking place this weekend.....

Time-wise, my course record is 1:55 from 2007 (which was my first ever event) and last year I struggled around in just over 2hrs.  I will be disappointed if I don't beat those times.  I don't think I'll PB, although I think I may need to if I want to beat the SiL....

21/06/2013 at 12:52

Big G good luck with the race!

I just listened to a podcast that scared the heck out of me. It was a talk by a pro ironman triathlete who is a trained doctor. She was talking about how bad endurance sports, including marathon, are for your heart and based on recent research is reconsidering her future in Ironman. I have only listened to half of the podast so far but it is very worrying.

21/06/2013 at 13:14

Emmy - choose your kit according to 'feels like temp', ignore whether it will rain or not

Big G - hope that calf is OK

You'd better feed your SIL a great big fry up at every meal too.

Khanivore - don't listen to any more.  It's only one article but it is a well known fact that running marathons etc over a long period of time enlarges the heart and runners are not immune from heart problems, especially if they run when they are ill or carrying a virus.   But runners are still healthier than non exercisers and  stats show will live longer.

21/06/2013 at 14:56

Shades, I hear you. However, her opinion is balanced in my opinion. The arguments I hear by endurance athletes generally don't make sense to me. Endurance athletes say that they would have died of a heart attack from being fat if they didn't do the sports they do so their odds are better doing what they are doing now. It's almost as if there is no middle ground.

The podcaster said that the heart condition a person who takes no exercise is likely to have is different to the one that an endurance athlete is more likley to have. There is a middle ground where you are likely to have neither. This makes sense to me.

Will I stop training for a marathon? No. Just like most smokers who know that smoking is bad for them carry on. However, like those smokers, I feel like at least I am making an informed choice. It is my belief that most people new to endurance sports (like me) are uninformed on this subject.

Here is the podcast for anyone interested in listening: http://traffic.libsyn.com/ironmantalk/IMTalk_Episode_366_-_Dr_Tamsin_Lewis.mp3

21/06/2013 at 17:01

Good luck Emmy!!!

21/06/2013 at 23:07

Khani, my dad is almost 70 and ran from his mid 30s to early 60s. He did a few marathons but mainly raced shorter distances (but raced most weeks and usually ran twice a day). He does have a minor heart condiion, something to do with irregular rhythm. Think he may have had regardless of whether he had been a runner. When it was first diagnosed he wasnt advised to stop running at all as they said it was good to stay fit. But his cardiologist has noticed that when he stopped running and took up cycling, his heart now isnt so large.

22/06/2013 at 00:29

it won't stop me running. I want to be the kind of inspiration to my twins that your dad was to you so that they can live active healthy lives.

22/06/2013 at 06:20

Khanivore - if it was that dangerous we would all be getting dire warnings from all about running marathons and ultras and we're not.  What your kebabs and pasties do to your arteries is likely to be far more damaging to your heart than running!

If you read an article on how dangerous it is to cross a road, no matter how cautious you were, you would never cross a road again.

Booked my flight to Florence this morning

Emmy - how did you get on?

22/06/2013 at 06:26

Shades good point

my back is starting to feel better. I got out of bed without having to roll on to my tummy and crawl my way out today! Tempted to go on a bike ride as its non impact (hopefully). If I do it this will be my first ride in many months!

22/06/2013 at 06:57

Khanivore - good news your back is healing, but don't do too much too soon

22/06/2013 at 07:02

Shades I was just thinking that. I think riding my bike today would be a bad idea. I'll let it hegentlemen more days.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.