Shades Marathon Training

61,801 to 61,820 of 67,839 messages
25/06/2013 at 09:12

Shades, well done on the marathon, sounds like an organisational nightmare, was it the first year? Why don't you spray yourself gold and go as a bond girl?! Or just wear a wig? Or I have a darth vader suit at home?!

Mamafox, I hope your heart rate has recovered from your morning encounter!! Hope it doesn't put you off using that route again.

S32, 10 miles with no pain sounds like you are fully recovered, that's brilliant. I've not gone over 6 miles yet. 

25/06/2013 at 09:16

Emmy - Have seen them at a distance before but never that close. Apparently they are very shy and are more scared of you than you are of them raa raa yadayada... the only exception being if it is a female with her ??piglets ?,boarlets?? close by. I had no intention of hanging around doing any research and just bloody ran...

S32 - Brilliant news, very pleased for you

25/06/2013 at 09:24

Slowkoala - Morning! xpost. Am sticking to nice friendly tarmac for a while until I have recovered. May invest in a bell or something for neck before using THAT path again!

25/06/2013 at 13:33

mamafox - has any told the wild boar that they are meant to be scared of humans? I always thought they were aggressive and dangerous and if you were attacked you should lay down flat so they can't get their tusks under you . Oh, and carry a spear if you're venturing into the forest .

Just 2 and a half miles yesterday. Legs didn't ache at all but seemed rather reluctant to move forward! Ran with my left side next to the hedge so people couldn't see my face . Most people at work didn't even comment - suppose they thought it would be a walked into a door excuse. One customer asked if I had a fall. When I replied "when out running" he asked if I was drunk

Shades - depending on the weather you could run as an Eskimo or Lady Godiva

25/06/2013 at 18:44

I made contact with a local runner who is a selector for the GB ultra running team! We happen to be members of the same cycling club. He invited me on a 12-13 mile run this weekend, off road too which is extremely enticing!

Normally it's quite a rapid group as most of them are sub-3 marathon runners but this weekend there are a couple of guys coming back from injury who will be running slower. Only problem is that I have not been running for 1.5 weeks now due to my back which is much much better but still not 100%. 

I told him I probably wouldn't be able to make it until after Ramadan but would get in touch after that. He encouraged me to go on Park Run too, something I have never done. When I mentioned the short distance he said why not park the car 5 miles away, jog to the park run, blast the 5k, and then jog back. What a great idea - i never even thought of that lol.

Anyway, he said he thought that cycling was great cross training and that i should be able to make my 3:30 target on 4 days of running if i want to spend a couple of days riding. I think that is what he said anyway. He said that it is very important to stretch if you cycle though as cycling shortens the hamstrings. 

25/06/2013 at 19:33

ps. after going round the blocks looking at all manner of plans I reckon I will probably end up right back on the Shades plan!

25/06/2013 at 20:03

GFA entry in for VLM 2014

Khani, reckon I will use the Shades plan again too!

26/06/2013 at 07:14

mowzer - I bet you'd have liked to punch that customer in the face.   Hope you heal soon, can you cover it with make up?

Khanivore - that's a great idea re the Park run and would give you a good speed session too.

Be careful those guys don't run the legs off you when you do run with them!

Cycling is great cross training...but it doesn't make you a better runner, but of course you can do both and you have your eye on becoming a pirate so of course you should keep up with the cycling.  

I have lots of runners emailing me telling me how much cross training they're doing, which is fine but it will not improve their running performance

SK - that's great news, what date is VLM?

26/06/2013 at 07:17
mowzer wrote

Shades - depending on the weather you could run as an Eskimo or Lady Godiva

LOL mowzer - neither of those quite appeal to me!    I won't be running in fancy dress, I quite like the cave girl outfit but wouldn't waste my money.    I've never run in fancy dress and don't think I want to start now.

26/06/2013 at 07:42

Shades, it's 13th April, that's over a week earlier than this year so need to start training soon!

Don't blame you for not doing fancy dress. And besides, there is a risk that we wouall all lose respect for our esteemed leader if she should stoop that low

26/06/2013 at 08:15
Slowkoala wrote (see)

Shades, it's 13th April, that's over a week earlier than this year so need to start training soon!

Don't blame you for not doing fancy dress. And besides, there is a risk that we wouall all lose respect for our esteemed leader if she should stoop that low

VLM used to be a lot earlier, I think it depends on other events that are on in the city so the date does move around.  My first marathon was London as was on 2nd April that year.

LOL at the fancy dress comment.  It's quite unusual for Ireland, at Dublin marathon there are very few folk that do fancy dress, I think it's more a British thing.   Bit like those that wear those hideous Union Jack shorts, or I used to know a Scots runner that always wore tartan shorts...eek

26/06/2013 at 09:11

SlowKoala/Khani - I'm also using Shades plan for my October marathon, or at least one that she's given the "green light" to  It's 5 sessions a week peaking at 50mpw (for one week) and is based around three main sessions; the LSR, a club speed/hill session and a parkrun.  I know I probably won't get to a parkrun every week, but if I don't I'll just do a similar session on my own (i.e., go out and give it some for 5K).  It's the first time I'm "committing" to 5 sessions a week, but I've done 5 a week for a couple of weeks and felt fine, so we'll see how it goes.  

I did look at P&D, but for my simple mind it overcomplicated things although I do know it is very, very popular so I'm not knocking it.  In my simple mind I can handle 3 key sessions a week, and then the other 2 basically running as I feel or mixing it up, but basically not too quick.  I'm very much of the KISS mentality in virtually everything I do (Keep It Simple, Stupid), especially at work where anything that is unnecessarily complicated tends to fail spectacularly.

Shades - I'm in for Bridgwater Half on 8th Sept.  It's a bit too early, but beggars can't be choosers, and I didn't fancy Bristol (too busy and a bit pricey at £35) and I wasn't sure about a new one in Plymouth.  I was going to do Grand Pier in Weston-Super-Mare as it's a bit later in September, but it's the same day as a triathlon that my SiL is doing and I want to spectate at that.

I do have a question about substituting a Half for an LSR.  I know it's probably not easy to be precise, but what would you say a half marathon that is raced equates to compared with an LSR (I know a Half probably doesn't build the endurance that say a 20-mile LSR would help to)?  The reason I'm asking is that Bridgwater Half happens to fall on a day when I'm supposed to be doing a 20 mile LSR, and I was wondering if one is a substitute for the other.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to move the 20 miler to the week earlier with other commitments I've got, and the week after is a planned "step back" week.  I know all this is weeks a way and lots can change/happen, but I thought I'd ask the question as I know I got a bit confused by this in my May marathon prep.

26/06/2013 at 11:19
SHADES wrote (see)

LOL at the fancy dress comment.  It's quite unusual for Ireland, at Dublin marathon there are very few folk that do fancy dress, I think it's more a British thing.   Bit like those that wear those hideous Union Jack shorts, or I used to know a Scots runner that always wore tartan shorts...eek

Does this also apply to those tacky union jack vests? I love wearing fancy dress the amount of support you receive is great... but it's not for everyone I know

26/06/2013 at 13:23

Big G - a half marathon race is roughly equivalent in effort to a 16 mile long run.   So not that much difference in effort of a 20 miler and I think a half marathon race at that stage of your training would be beneficial.   It's not as if it's your first marathon that you're training for,

I can't do Bridgwater as travelling back from Ireland that day and I certainly wouldn't pay £35 for a half marathon in Bristol.

Emmy - the UJ vest is OK, it's running kit, I like the vest in your pic.  I've got UJ running shoes.   I mean those huge non running shorts that some guys wear like these (or worse) http://www.unionjackwear.com/zoom.asp?product=824

26/06/2013 at 16:55

Shades - You kindly sent me the training plans based around 3 runs a week. However, my marathon is not until next april, so I am planing on running a half in the autumn followed by a few weeks rest and easy runs before starting marthon training. My 2 previous outings at half have not gone very well, mainly because I didn't have proper plans to follow. I downloaded the bupa plans for the half this time but the beginner's plans are centred around 4 or more runs a week. Now I am going to cheekily ask your advice - do you think it would be ok to follow your marathon beginner's plan but to halve the long run distance or can you recommend any sites or plans that are for beginner's based on 3 runs a week ? In fact any contributor please feel free to add advice

26/06/2013 at 17:08

I've never run in fancy dress (apart from my UJ vest!) I wouldn't mind doing - just that I've got no idea what I'd dress up as. Nothing springs to mind. A bit like a tattoo....loads of people ask me why I haven't got a tattoo - but to be honest there's nothing specific that springs to mind. If I'd have taken part in the Olympics I'd probably have the"five rings" done but otherwise....

26/06/2013 at 18:52

I've never done fancy dress either apart from a Santa suit at a Christmas marathon.

Molly - I can just se you as Wonder Woman!! 

26/06/2013 at 19:37

vR - I had the same thought for Molly!

27/06/2013 at 07:10

Skippy - I have a beginner's half schedule, PM me and I'll send it to you

molly - yes, I can see you as Wonder Woman too

Please don't have a tattoo unless you really want one.  Apparently that's one of the top 3  things that folk regret doing later....not sure what the other 2 are  LOL

Warmer this morning, had a lovely run, ran up a huge Devon hill...and down again

27/06/2013 at 08:01

Morning all,

Last run (4miles) before the marathon on Saturday. Feeling a little tired so glad of the rest day tomorrow! I'm leaving this afternoon so wont have a lot of access until Monday.

Am really looking forward to seeing VR again and perhaps holding on to run as much of the marathon as I can with her!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.