Shades Marathon Training

61,841 to 61,860 of 66,511 messages
28/06/2013 at 13:34

Good link, some people are just naturals.

I found this interesting, if you like your stats -

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/cms-41

28/06/2013 at 15:42

Good luck Emmy and VR for Giants head and Molly as well for your sprint!

29/06/2013 at 06:18

KK - I read that guy's article on predicted marathon results and his survey results calculated what runners could expect to achieve.  It was the biggest load of rubbish I've ever read.   He failed to take into consideration that the runners hadn't trained properly for the event.

I can't comment on that article re the half marathon, I run so few half marathons that I can't remember.   Must enter a couple this year.

Rest day for me today, had test tomorrow.

Good luck to VR and Emmy and Molly today.

29/06/2013 at 08:34

Have to drop the car off at the garage. Is about 6 miles away. Going to plod back at an easy pace. Looking forward to my first run in 2 weeks!

29/06/2013 at 18:26
Valley Runner wrote

Shades - Lol! sorry, short attention span! Dont know about Mowsers excuse

Edited: 29/06/2013 at 18:29
29/06/2013 at 18:32

Old age . (Also explains why I can't do these quote things )

Shades - face healed very quickly, thanks. Lots of arnica (inside and out) took the swelling down by Tuesday and the purple bruising by Thursday. Graze/scab on cheek had gone this morning. Just small scab on top lip, small one on elbow and a larger scab on left knee. Think I got off lightly .

29/06/2013 at 20:10

Well, Me and Emmy finished Giants Head Marathon today.
I can honestly say it was one of the toughest marathons I have ever done!
Extremely hilly with the underfoot conditions very tricky. Rocks, stones, slippery descents, rutted ground and grassy fields on a camber. Very hot in places too. My feet are really sore!
We took 6 hours and 32 mins. Due to Farmer and his cows they had to change the route at the last minute so it ended up being 28 miles. Plus some signage went missing, although we were ok and didn't go off course.
Emmy did really well and we stuck together till the end

I tell you what, that girl can walk uphills! She had to wait for me on more than one occasion! I told her that she would make a great ultra runner!

Well done Emmy and enjoy some food and beers tonight. You certainly deserve it  

29/06/2013 at 23:24

Well done you to. This achievement only serves to reinforce my opinion that you are both mad

30/06/2013 at 05:47

Well done VR and Emmy!!! Sounds like a tough one too. Great to think of you two nutters running it together as well!

30/06/2013 at 07:02

mowzer - good news that you've healed quickly, hopefully the customers won't be accusing you of drunken behaviour this week

I've never used arnica.  Heard great things about it but was told not to use it if I'm heavy on the caffeine, which I am, is that true?

VR and Emmy - well done to you two...grass fields on a camber, ouch, that's one of my least favourite off road conditions, no wonder the feet are sore.

Khanivore - how is your back after your run?

30/06/2013 at 08:18

Shades - a little bit sore. Not full on pain but a bit sore nevertheless. I think I need more time off and should take the time to stretch it more.

30/06/2013 at 21:06

Great racing Emmy and VR! Hope you have recovered well today.

Khani, hope your back is OK.

Feeling much stronger this week. Have run for last 4 days including a 10 miler which went OK. May attempt a local 5 mile race next weekend as will be good training for the Olympic park run that I'm doing in 3 weeks.

Can't decide whether to do the Brighton HM (entries close today). 30 quid seems a bit steep for a half but I did enjoy it this year. I seem to be entering all the same races again so should probably branch out and enter some different ones.

30/06/2013 at 23:21

Back is doing pretty good. Calves are well sore though. I guess you lose conditioning pretty quick. Can't wait to run. Will see how I feel tomorrow.

01/07/2013 at 06:59

Khanivore - good news that your back is getting better.

SK - I think you've got your energy levels back now and hopefully the knee problem won't happen again.  

Did you enter Brighton half?   £30 is a lot for a half marathon, these events organised by commercial companies have increased race entry fees a lot.   I always prefer to do races organised by running clubs, they're usually better organised and any funds raised will go back into running or for charity.

01/07/2013 at 09:24
SHADES wrote (see)

VR - LOL, I hope you and Emmy won't be disappointed when you get there

Disappointed is something that I was not!

Valley Runner wrote (see)

Well, Me and Emmy finished Giants Head Marathon today.
I can honestly say it was one of the toughest marathons I have ever done!
Extremely hilly with the underfoot conditions very tricky. Rocks, stones, slippery descents, rutted ground and grassy fields on a camber. Very hot in places too. My feet are really sore!
We took 6 hours and 32 mins. Due to Farmer and his cows they had to change the route at the last minute so it ended up being 28 miles. Plus some signage went missing, although we were ok and didn't go off course.
Emmy did really well and we stuck together till the end

I tell you what, that girl can walk uphills! She had to wait for me on more than one occasion! I told her that she would make a great ultra runner!

Well done Emmy and enjoy some food and beers tonight. You certainly deserve it  

I cannot say how much I enjoyed running with VR. It was so much fun and the miles passed really quickly. I couldnt stop saying how beautiful it all was! VR - thank you for kicking my arse towards the last two miles whilst I was grumpy. You really are a fantastic marathoner.

For those that havent seen VR run - she seems to float along instead of running - it's amazing to see whilst I was struggling with every step and flies! I think the fastest I ever saw her run was across a field at Mile 21 because there was cider waiting for us!

This was definitely the hardest race for me but I didnt have any knee pain, no major issues at all. The camber was awful and I felt a little achy in my Achilles but nothing too bad to report. Had a lovely day out - just very tired from the drive home yesterday!

01/07/2013 at 11:28

Awww Thanks for the kind words Emmy  
Not surprised your tired! A tiring weekend all round with not much sleep! Hope you catch up this week. So pleased your knee held out!
Roll on the next one!

01/07/2013 at 11:45

Have to be honest - the idea of running on a camber is highly unattractive to me. When you add the hills and the gigantic penis on the hillside, this is not one on my target list of 'must do' runs

01/07/2013 at 11:50

Khani - whatever floats your boat. After this weekend - i'm already tempted to go back next year... if nothing else than to run with the naked farmer!

01/07/2013 at 11:51

Hahaha fantastic

01/07/2013 at 13:47

VR and Emmy - fantastic running. Well done

I had a day out at Coombe Abbey near Coventry. Should have been one of the 'easier' runs as it was completely flat, but I found it very tough. 12 laps round the country park all on grass (which I always find hard to run on). Grass was short, ground underneath a bit lumpy in a few places, but had gone to seed in the first field so after 5 minutes my legs were itching like mad. Finished with spots all over my legs and arms - thankfully they disappeared quickly. Went ok for the first 8 laps, then had to walk bits of it for the final 4. So, so hot, and air was stifling - started drinking (water ) very early on and even had a cup of energy drink (but I'm not sure that it had any effect). Pretty scenery, but just wanted it to finish near the end. Lots of the usual suspects there, including Rik, who'd done the same race as VR and Emmy, then an evening marathon in Wales, and then still put in a good performance  Lazy day for me today .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.