Shades Marathon Training

61,861 to 61,880 of 65,083 messages
01/07/2013 at 11:51

Hahaha fantastic

01/07/2013 at 13:47

VR and Emmy - fantastic running. Well done

I had a day out at Coombe Abbey near Coventry. Should have been one of the 'easier' runs as it was completely flat, but I found it very tough. 12 laps round the country park all on grass (which I always find hard to run on). Grass was short, ground underneath a bit lumpy in a few places, but had gone to seed in the first field so after 5 minutes my legs were itching like mad. Finished with spots all over my legs and arms - thankfully they disappeared quickly. Went ok for the first 8 laps, then had to walk bits of it for the final 4. So, so hot, and air was stifling - started drinking (water ) very early on and even had a cup of energy drink (but I'm not sure that it had any effect). Pretty scenery, but just wanted it to finish near the end. Lots of the usual suspects there, including Rik, who'd done the same race as VR and Emmy, then an evening marathon in Wales, and then still put in a good performance  Lazy day for me today .

01/07/2013 at 14:14

Mowser -  I heard Rik was planning to do the Welsh trail one after our one... but had no idea that he was also doing Coombe Abbey! What a complete nutcase!!

Sorry to hear that you had a bit of a rough time. I think I've been bitten to death by the flies/midges during the race My legs have been a little itchy lately!

01/07/2013 at 17:22

mowzer - I had Coombe Abbey as my reserve race, so glad I didn't do it I thought it was on a trail path, I hate grass, although it doesn't bring me out in a rash.

Emmy - you'd better not head to Scotland, you'd be eaten alive by midges there in the summer.

02/07/2013 at 07:26

Morning all.   I wish when RW IT start 'fixing' things that they finish the job, bookmarks still not working

02/07/2013 at 08:13

Just had my race info for this coming weekend's little jolly to Ireland.   I'm doing 3 of the 10 in 10 and the weekend races start at 2pm and the weekday races at 5pm...I can only imagine this is as some of the runners are going to work too!!!!!!   I'm doing Sat, Sun and Mon and luckily have managed to arrange a 3pm start for Monday, otherwise I'll be finishing in the dark.  23 runners entered for the 10 in 10.

I intend this event  to be my last triple and the only double I intend to do again is the Clonakilty Back2Back in Feb.

02/07/2013 at 08:16

Shades - they're making "improvements" again I think it's been reported a few weeks ago so it could last a while.

How was your run this morning?

Considering I had on suncream and some repellent it's a little surprise. I'm the same in Ireland in summer My mum and dad used to say it was my sweet blood that attracted them 

I did a recovery gym session last night and felt great but it's the lack of sleep from the weekend that is kicking my arse!

02/07/2013 at 10:35

Regarding system "improvements", they've made sure that their annoying pop up advert about the mag subscription works just fine.  Grrrr.    I am already a mag subscriber, but the advert obviously doesn't recognise that fact, even though I'm logged in and have my subscription number linked to my logged in account.

02/07/2013 at 10:35

Had a brilliant relaxing run today. Headed out with nothing particular in mind. Decided to stick to 142 bpm and decided to run for a period of time rather than a distance. I chose an hour but ended up running for 1:07 instead. 

At 142bpm i'm running at around 11:30-12:00 min/mile so i decided that this is acceptable. I'll not drop below 12 min mile though. Will keep doing this until i get bored of it again. Every little bit helps and it keeps me injury free

02/07/2013 at 17:52

Emmy - I think that's the same Rik that's doing the 10 in 10 in Ireland.

Hope you catch up on your sleep soon.

Big G - I'm not getting that pop up advert on my home PC, only at work

Khanivore - good that you're back running comfortably again and you've settled, for the time being, on 142 bpm.

02/07/2013 at 18:41

Yep - that sounds familiar. He's an absolute nutter. A lovely one - but a nutter still!

When do you leave for Ireland?

There's some cracking pictures coming from the marathon last weekend and they're all free! I'm starting to like this off road stuff!

02/07/2013 at 23:13

Shades / Emmy - it was Rik's 200th at Coombe Abbey and he's planning 29 in 29 days of the Relentless series later this year . He did 3 days of the Forces March (just after the 10 in 10) and was the only one to run - and I mean RUN - up the mile long 1 in 4 hill at Crowcombe Hill.

Shades - haven't heard anything about arnica and caffeine before. Had a look in the leaflet that came with the cream and it didn't mention anything. I've used it for bruises for donkeys years (always falling over ). I thought Coombe Abbey was going to be on paths as well. The same company held one at Delapre Abbey earlier this year and that was a mixture of paths, grass, tracks etc.

Well, after the mini heatwave on Sunday we're back to a traditional English summer. Bit nippy and raining again here today

03/07/2013 at 07:00

Emmy - flying to Shannon on Friday, first race 2pm Saturday.   I have very little driving to do as hotel is 10 minute drive from airport and race 10 min drive from hotel!   But 3 hour drive to the airport from Devon as flying from Birmingham.

mowzer - just googled the arnica and apparently you have to refrain from caffeine one hour before and one hour after taking arnica pills, don't know how true that is. You'd be fine with the cream.

It's going to be hot for my 3 races in Ireland 20 degrees on Sat and rising, up to 26 on Monday, that's a lot of sun for me

03/07/2013 at 07:31

Eeek, that sounds hot Shades.  Sunscreen at the ready!

Nippy here too Mowzer, but I'm happy about that as racing this evening and reeeeeeeeally don't want it too hot.

Khanivore, that's very good news - hope back continues to improve

Off to Croft racetrack with the club tonight for my first 10K race in about 3 years - hoping for a chunk off my PB 

03/07/2013 at 08:10

Madbee - you should get a good PB tonight.  Let us know how you get on.

I'm not bothered by the heat but I'm very fair skinned and will struggle even with Factor 50 to get through unscathed, will probably have to switch to long sleeves for day 2 and 3.   I'm not intending to 'race' these events, just potter round and survive uninjured.

Emmy - VR forgot to give you the magazines!   Will you see her soon?  If not I'll get them back and bring them to New Forest.

03/07/2013 at 09:43

Unplanned rest day today for me today as I'm tired    I get hay fever and I think it's related to that.  Sneezing one's head off can be quite tiring  I generally try and avoid taking medication as that makes me even more drowsy.

I did get a good session in yesterday though which was 8 miles with 5 at half mara pace, and enjoyed it.  Mrs Big_G is having a tough time at work at the moment so I treated her (and me...) to fish and chips.  I sure know how to treat a girl don't I?!  In fairness, she does like fish and chips and at least there is the added bonus that there is no washing up to do  Afterwards, we went for a brisk walk around Preston-Paignton seafront, which tends to reduce stress levels as well.

03/07/2013 at 11:38

Haha - Emmy i've jsut watched your video from the Giants Head marathon Awesome!

03/07/2013 at 13:03

Big G - I think fish and chips and a walk by the sea is much better than a fancy restaurant.  

Sorry to hear about the hay fever, I'm told that lots of folk are suffering badly this year, luckily not me.  

Khanivore - putting your name down for Giant's Head next year?

I've got my Bookmarks back

03/07/2013 at 16:53

Me: Canal Street looks like a good place to go for a run at at 6am, i see a route i could take to the Man Utd stadium! 

Hotel staff: i wouldn't do that, a lot of people will be leaving nightclubs or hanging around outside of nightclubs on that road.

Me: I am talking about a run at 6am on a Thursday morning. 

Hotel staff: so am i!

Manchester is mad

03/07/2013 at 18:36

Khanivore - LOL.   I've never been to Manchester, guess it must be a party place.   I still think you'd have a good run at 6am, they can't all be leaving nightclubs at that time

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.