Shades Marathon Training

61,861 to 61,880 of 73,289 messages
02/07/2013 at 10:35

Had a brilliant relaxing run today. Headed out with nothing particular in mind. Decided to stick to 142 bpm and decided to run for a period of time rather than a distance. I chose an hour but ended up running for 1:07 instead. 

At 142bpm i'm running at around 11:30-12:00 min/mile so i decided that this is acceptable. I'll not drop below 12 min mile though. Will keep doing this until i get bored of it again. Every little bit helps and it keeps me injury free

02/07/2013 at 17:52

Emmy - I think that's the same Rik that's doing the 10 in 10 in Ireland.

Hope you catch up on your sleep soon.

Big G - I'm not getting that pop up advert on my home PC, only at work

Khanivore - good that you're back running comfortably again and you've settled, for the time being, on 142 bpm.

02/07/2013 at 18:41

Yep - that sounds familiar. He's an absolute nutter. A lovely one - but a nutter still!

When do you leave for Ireland?

There's some cracking pictures coming from the marathon last weekend and they're all free! I'm starting to like this off road stuff!

02/07/2013 at 23:13

Shades / Emmy - it was Rik's 200th at Coombe Abbey and he's planning 29 in 29 days of the Relentless series later this year . He did 3 days of the Forces March (just after the 10 in 10) and was the only one to run - and I mean RUN - up the mile long 1 in 4 hill at Crowcombe Hill.

Shades - haven't heard anything about arnica and caffeine before. Had a look in the leaflet that came with the cream and it didn't mention anything. I've used it for bruises for donkeys years (always falling over ). I thought Coombe Abbey was going to be on paths as well. The same company held one at Delapre Abbey earlier this year and that was a mixture of paths, grass, tracks etc.

Well, after the mini heatwave on Sunday we're back to a traditional English summer. Bit nippy and raining again here today

03/07/2013 at 07:00

Emmy - flying to Shannon on Friday, first race 2pm Saturday.   I have very little driving to do as hotel is 10 minute drive from airport and race 10 min drive from hotel!   But 3 hour drive to the airport from Devon as flying from Birmingham.

mowzer - just googled the arnica and apparently you have to refrain from caffeine one hour before and one hour after taking arnica pills, don't know how true that is. You'd be fine with the cream.

It's going to be hot for my 3 races in Ireland 20 degrees on Sat and rising, up to 26 on Monday, that's a lot of sun for me

03/07/2013 at 07:31

Eeek, that sounds hot Shades.  Sunscreen at the ready!

Nippy here too Mowzer, but I'm happy about that as racing this evening and reeeeeeeeally don't want it too hot.

Khanivore, that's very good news - hope back continues to improve

Off to Croft racetrack with the club tonight for my first 10K race in about 3 years - hoping for a chunk off my PB 

03/07/2013 at 08:10

Madbee - you should get a good PB tonight.  Let us know how you get on.

I'm not bothered by the heat but I'm very fair skinned and will struggle even with Factor 50 to get through unscathed, will probably have to switch to long sleeves for day 2 and 3.   I'm not intending to 'race' these events, just potter round and survive uninjured.

Emmy - VR forgot to give you the magazines!   Will you see her soon?  If not I'll get them back and bring them to New Forest.

03/07/2013 at 09:43

Unplanned rest day today for me today as I'm tired    I get hay fever and I think it's related to that.  Sneezing one's head off can be quite tiring  I generally try and avoid taking medication as that makes me even more drowsy.

I did get a good session in yesterday though which was 8 miles with 5 at half mara pace, and enjoyed it.  Mrs Big_G is having a tough time at work at the moment so I treated her (and me...) to fish and chips.  I sure know how to treat a girl don't I?!  In fairness, she does like fish and chips and at least there is the added bonus that there is no washing up to do  Afterwards, we went for a brisk walk around Preston-Paignton seafront, which tends to reduce stress levels as well.

03/07/2013 at 11:38

Haha - Emmy i've jsut watched your video from the Giants Head marathon Awesome!

03/07/2013 at 13:03

Big G - I think fish and chips and a walk by the sea is much better than a fancy restaurant.  

Sorry to hear about the hay fever, I'm told that lots of folk are suffering badly this year, luckily not me.  

Khanivore - putting your name down for Giant's Head next year?

I've got my Bookmarks back

03/07/2013 at 16:53

Me: Canal Street looks like a good place to go for a run at at 6am, i see a route i could take to the Man Utd stadium! 

Hotel staff: i wouldn't do that, a lot of people will be leaving nightclubs or hanging around outside of nightclubs on that road.

Me: I am talking about a run at 6am on a Thursday morning. 

Hotel staff: so am i!

Manchester is mad

03/07/2013 at 18:36

Khanivore - LOL.   I've never been to Manchester, guess it must be a party place.   I still think you'd have a good run at 6am, they can't all be leaving nightclubs at that time

03/07/2013 at 20:24

Hi all, for those around Surrey and looking for a fast half marathon. Have a look at this:

http://www.run247.com/articles/article-3944-brooklands-set-to-become-london%27s-premier-spring-half-marathon.html

I wish it was a marathon It's 5 minutes from my parents!

03/07/2013 at 23:29

canal st passea through the gay quarter. Apparently those dudes party hard lol

04/07/2013 at 07:15

Emmy - there are lots of fast half marathons in the country, surely there must be some in Surrey already?  One of Mike Gratton's events, I see. He's a good race organiser, nice guy, I met him at my first marathon and he use to be a regular on the RW forums here.

Khanivore - well how did the run go.....did you pull

Warm this morning for my run, even at 5.30 am

04/07/2013 at 07:33

Looks like a good half Emmy, but a bit too close to VLM for me for 2014. Although still awaiting for GFA email form so at this rate I won't be running it anyway.

I entered the Brighton half again and then twigged that it's the day after my son's birthday, so won't be popular.

Doing a 5 mile interclub race this Sunday. I think it's supposed to be very hot

Pilates class last night. Some of the exercises are so hard so I only hope they are doing some good.

04/07/2013 at 08:13

Khanivore, that sounds like Manchester!  I don't know it hugely well, but been for a few days/nights out there and it's definitely a 24 hour kind of place!  Hope you enjoyed your run

Koala, I find pilates really hard too!  Hope family are ok with your running plans - I often feel guilty for being off racing when Mr Mad is around and not doing anything in particular.

Emmy, are you not keen on halfs then?  It looks a nice race, might be worth doing even if it's not your target distance - I love the idea of 'home' races.

Shades, you want to be here if it's too hot where you are!  Cool, cloudy and drizzly start to today, though it's meant to be much warmer later.

Sooo I raced last night  Pitstop 10K.  3 laps round Croft motor-racing track.  It was flat, easy, and according to my team-mates really boring!  I actually really enjoyed it - I was aiming to go out at my (slightly ambitious for me) target pace of 8 minute miles, and just hang on there.  I did exactly this, slowest miles were 2 and 3, at 7:54, and fastest was mile 5 at 7:43.  I spent the first lap learning about the course, and working out where the slightly harder parts were, and where I could push it a bit - was a good strategy for me, as I like knowing what's coming because I am always very scared of burning myself out too early - if I know the finishing stretch is quite easy, I'm less scared to push it earlier on.

I tucked myself onto the back of a little group going around my pace for the second lap - had a brief chat with someone who was joking that he had established that he wasn't going to win this one!  Lightened things up a bit.  Was nice to see the rest of my club going round the hairpins as well - some in front, some behind.   Towards the end of the second lap, the lead bike pootled past me (really??  A bike for a race around a race-track?  Surely you cannot get lost??), and the front runners lapped me, but it was only a very short way before the line so I was actually more cheered than disheartened, as I used to generally bargain on being twice as slow as the winners, not just a third!  

Third lap I felt good still - ignored the water station as I knew it would just slow me down and I didn't feel I needed it.  I started to pick it up just a little bit, and lost some of the group I'd been running with.  Then I spotted a rival club T-shirt in front of me, and thought 'right, I'm having her!'  We ran along together for a bit, but by the last mile she was obviously having to work quite hard and I managed to push on a bit more and overtook.  Spotted the 9k marker, and moved up another notch.  Then I was an idiot!  I forgot that the start line was not also the finish line, so picked up the pace into it, then realised that everyone in front was still running quite fast - I had another bend to go to the finish!  So I tried to keep my speed up, but had to drop back a little.  Picked it up again as I saw my faster club-mates clapping me on near the finish, and crossed a line...  which again, was not the finish!  I was totally convinced it was this time, so slowed down a little, only to spot the finish line a few yards further on.  Reckon I stupidly threw away 5 or 6 seconds here, but it didn't matter, as I still got sub 50, which was my secret goal, and a massive PB of around 5 minutes!  Happy

04/07/2013 at 08:22

Shades - I know. I think it's trying to take it away from Fleet which is also quite close by. I like the organiser and if I can I might go and try for some speed.

It was a beautiful HOT morning here. 5 tempo miles in the glorious sunshine and i'm literally BURSTING with energy now. I love good runs!

Madbee - If i'm travelling home then it's normally for a marathon. I can't justify the cost for a half  Congrats on the new PB!! Thats a great report and I love your attitude: "Right, i'm having her!". 

04/07/2013 at 08:24

SK - could have been worse, Brighton could have been on his birthday.   What's the deadline for GFA entries? I thought it was much later in the year, but of course they could have changed it.

If the Pilates is tough I'm sure it will make you stronger.

Madbee - fabulous report and what a PB, 5 minutes is a huge amount of time to knock off, glad you made your secret goal too.

I like it warmish for my races, my preferred temperature for a marathon is about 18 to 22 degrees with low humidity and little or no wind.  But I don't like to be out in the sun day after day, need to protect my skin.

04/07/2013 at 09:47

VR/Emmy - well done, sounds like you both had a great time but by golly it sounds tough!

Madbee - fantastic running with a brilliant PB

Shades - After 2 months of speedwork and decent races - it came to race day and I couldn't get going. I've got no excuses, nothing wrong with me but i just couldn't run as I'd trained to do. I was aiming for 19mins 50 and I came in at 21.06 so I was well cheesed off  so after the race I got changed then wandered into town as mini & her cousin wanted to go shopping, I then got a call from my sister..."You idiot, we came second and I've had my picture taken on the podium on my own". We got a lovely trophy each and a €50 voucher so I missed my chance to get upon an international stage...so all the other teams must have done even worse than what we did.

Little brother took it nice & steady and just got on with it. He finished in 12.25 and was absolutely fine straightafter and the following day - very unfair. Amazing experience though - all sorts of met & women with massive bellies who you wouldn't bet 2p on came in without bother. Very inspiring indeed.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.