Shades Marathon Training

61,881 to 61,900 of 66,384 messages
03/07/2013 at 20:24

Hi all, for those around Surrey and looking for a fast half marathon. Have a look at this:

http://www.run247.com/articles/article-3944-brooklands-set-to-become-london%27s-premier-spring-half-marathon.html

I wish it was a marathon It's 5 minutes from my parents!

03/07/2013 at 23:29

canal st passea through the gay quarter. Apparently those dudes party hard lol

04/07/2013 at 07:15

Emmy - there are lots of fast half marathons in the country, surely there must be some in Surrey already?  One of Mike Gratton's events, I see. He's a good race organiser, nice guy, I met him at my first marathon and he use to be a regular on the RW forums here.

Khanivore - well how did the run go.....did you pull

Warm this morning for my run, even at 5.30 am

04/07/2013 at 07:33

Looks like a good half Emmy, but a bit too close to VLM for me for 2014. Although still awaiting for GFA email form so at this rate I won't be running it anyway.

I entered the Brighton half again and then twigged that it's the day after my son's birthday, so won't be popular.

Doing a 5 mile interclub race this Sunday. I think it's supposed to be very hot

Pilates class last night. Some of the exercises are so hard so I only hope they are doing some good.

04/07/2013 at 08:13

Khanivore, that sounds like Manchester!  I don't know it hugely well, but been for a few days/nights out there and it's definitely a 24 hour kind of place!  Hope you enjoyed your run

Koala, I find pilates really hard too!  Hope family are ok with your running plans - I often feel guilty for being off racing when Mr Mad is around and not doing anything in particular.

Emmy, are you not keen on halfs then?  It looks a nice race, might be worth doing even if it's not your target distance - I love the idea of 'home' races.

Shades, you want to be here if it's too hot where you are!  Cool, cloudy and drizzly start to today, though it's meant to be much warmer later.

Sooo I raced last night  Pitstop 10K.  3 laps round Croft motor-racing track.  It was flat, easy, and according to my team-mates really boring!  I actually really enjoyed it - I was aiming to go out at my (slightly ambitious for me) target pace of 8 minute miles, and just hang on there.  I did exactly this, slowest miles were 2 and 3, at 7:54, and fastest was mile 5 at 7:43.  I spent the first lap learning about the course, and working out where the slightly harder parts were, and where I could push it a bit - was a good strategy for me, as I like knowing what's coming because I am always very scared of burning myself out too early - if I know the finishing stretch is quite easy, I'm less scared to push it earlier on.

I tucked myself onto the back of a little group going around my pace for the second lap - had a brief chat with someone who was joking that he had established that he wasn't going to win this one!  Lightened things up a bit.  Was nice to see the rest of my club going round the hairpins as well - some in front, some behind.   Towards the end of the second lap, the lead bike pootled past me (really??  A bike for a race around a race-track?  Surely you cannot get lost??), and the front runners lapped me, but it was only a very short way before the line so I was actually more cheered than disheartened, as I used to generally bargain on being twice as slow as the winners, not just a third!  

Third lap I felt good still - ignored the water station as I knew it would just slow me down and I didn't feel I needed it.  I started to pick it up just a little bit, and lost some of the group I'd been running with.  Then I spotted a rival club T-shirt in front of me, and thought 'right, I'm having her!'  We ran along together for a bit, but by the last mile she was obviously having to work quite hard and I managed to push on a bit more and overtook.  Spotted the 9k marker, and moved up another notch.  Then I was an idiot!  I forgot that the start line was not also the finish line, so picked up the pace into it, then realised that everyone in front was still running quite fast - I had another bend to go to the finish!  So I tried to keep my speed up, but had to drop back a little.  Picked it up again as I saw my faster club-mates clapping me on near the finish, and crossed a line...  which again, was not the finish!  I was totally convinced it was this time, so slowed down a little, only to spot the finish line a few yards further on.  Reckon I stupidly threw away 5 or 6 seconds here, but it didn't matter, as I still got sub 50, which was my secret goal, and a massive PB of around 5 minutes!  Happy

04/07/2013 at 08:22

Shades - I know. I think it's trying to take it away from Fleet which is also quite close by. I like the organiser and if I can I might go and try for some speed.

It was a beautiful HOT morning here. 5 tempo miles in the glorious sunshine and i'm literally BURSTING with energy now. I love good runs!

Madbee - If i'm travelling home then it's normally for a marathon. I can't justify the cost for a half  Congrats on the new PB!! Thats a great report and I love your attitude: "Right, i'm having her!". 

04/07/2013 at 08:24

SK - could have been worse, Brighton could have been on his birthday.   What's the deadline for GFA entries? I thought it was much later in the year, but of course they could have changed it.

If the Pilates is tough I'm sure it will make you stronger.

Madbee - fabulous report and what a PB, 5 minutes is a huge amount of time to knock off, glad you made your secret goal too.

I like it warmish for my races, my preferred temperature for a marathon is about 18 to 22 degrees with low humidity and little or no wind.  But I don't like to be out in the sun day after day, need to protect my skin.

04/07/2013 at 09:47

VR/Emmy - well done, sounds like you both had a great time but by golly it sounds tough!

Madbee - fantastic running with a brilliant PB

Shades - After 2 months of speedwork and decent races - it came to race day and I couldn't get going. I've got no excuses, nothing wrong with me but i just couldn't run as I'd trained to do. I was aiming for 19mins 50 and I came in at 21.06 so I was well cheesed off  so after the race I got changed then wandered into town as mini & her cousin wanted to go shopping, I then got a call from my sister..."You idiot, we came second and I've had my picture taken on the podium on my own". We got a lovely trophy each and a €50 voucher so I missed my chance to get upon an international stage...so all the other teams must have done even worse than what we did.

Little brother took it nice & steady and just got on with it. He finished in 12.25 and was absolutely fine straightafter and the following day - very unfair. Amazing experience though - all sorts of met & women with massive bellies who you wouldn't bet 2p on came in without bother. Very inspiring indeed.

04/07/2013 at 10:37

madbee - great running and a great report

molly - well done on coming 2nd . You'll have to be airbrushed in for the photo

Shades - good luck for the races in Ireland

I seem not to have booked anything up for this weekend!!

04/07/2013 at 13:14

Emmy - like you I won't travel far for a short race.

molly - well done.   Don't be disappointed with your time, we all have days when that happens but 2nd prize and winnings too is brilliant.

Well done to your brother too, good time for an IM

Where's Khanivore?   I'm worried he might be in a club in Manchester since 6am this morning

mowzer - a bit remiss of you having a free weekend!   But as it's going to very hot probably a good idea.

Thanks, the 10 in 10 guys start today (at 5pm, I think).   I'm looking forward to the weekend, not looking forward to the tired legs on day 2 & 3.

04/07/2013 at 13:23

Shades -Good luck for the race - I'm a little jealous as i'd love to be doing it!

Molly - well done on the race! 2nd place is FANTASTIC! Well done to your brother as well. I'm really impressed!

Mowser - a weekend free? Are you feeling ok?

04/07/2013 at 14:31

I'm very happy having a race free weekend. I'm resting my foot niggle that really was painful after Giants Head.

Molly - Very well done indeed! Very impressive.

Madbee - 5 mun PB! Well done. Great report too!

04/07/2013 at 17:56

VR - hope the foot is getting better

Hot here today

05/07/2013 at 09:22

Right I'm all packed and shopping done.

Back on line on Wednesday

05/07/2013 at 10:03

Good luck shades  

Hope you are healing VR.

Molly... still a very impressive time, and coming second is brilliant!  Well done you.

13 miles for me this morning, lovely and sunny but not too hot yet - I would have enjoyed it if I'd had a proper breakfast and not been still a little tired from Wednesday's effort - note to self: eat properly before long runs!

05/07/2013 at 10:55

Shades - have a great weekend in Ireland! Hope that it all goes well.

Madbee - well done on the 13 miles!! That's a great effort.

I'll be offline for the next two weeks. First week on holiday and the second i'll be running back from Bratislava in relay. For anyone that wants to follow us:

http://inthelongrun2013.org/

I'll be posting videos/pictures on facebook and twitter as well. https://twitter.com/ITLR2013

Have a great time everyone and see you later on!

05/07/2013 at 12:42

Emmy - have a fab time! I'll definitely follow you. Enjoy both weeks and look forward to hearing about it when you get back.

Shades - good luck and have a lovely weekend

Madbee - I usually have porridge for breakfast before a run - I don't feel hungry during and doesn't give tummy problems either (whereas muesli & running don't mix for me)

No races for me but a 10 mile run this evening then a 12 mile run on Sunday as I need to start building upto long runs again.I can't just jump in and start doing 20 milers and I'm soooo looking forward to it!

05/07/2013 at 14:45

Lovely 4 and half miles this morning, hopefully up early tomorrow for a 10miler...will the first run in double digits since Feb!

Hopefully not too hot for anyone racing this weekend, I'll be diy'ing in the garden building a wall and finishing off a path all at a nice relaxed pace, with a beer or 3

Have a good one all.

05/07/2013 at 23:21

Madbee great race report Enjoyed reading it!

06/07/2013 at 10:11

Hmm not too bad i suppose, newest local parkrun in 25:44. Longest runn since er mid may too. PLus stone heavier which accounts for 8 secs a lb extra i lug round so thats at least a minute i can knock for being a fatty

That and distinct lack of training. Was expecting 27 mins to be hard to hit so perhaps i have some natural speed after all.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.