Shades Marathon Training

61,941 to 61,960 of 66,756 messages
11/07/2013 at 15:42

Shades, don't play down the achievement, you are an inspiration to us all!

Hadn't thought that the Tshirt might be too large, think I did specify XS on the entry form so will just have to see what it's like.

Mamafox, great that you are seeing some improved results from the base training. 

Big G, those are good times. I've never really tried  reps/intervals properly but feel like I've kind of reached a plateau recently. May try some reps tomorrow as my kids swim at a school which has a track I can use. 

Got a bond party on Sat. Easy for the blokes - tuxedos - any ideas for ladies?!

11/07/2013 at 16:01

SK - an Ursula Andress type bikini or a long gold coloured dress or you could dress up as metal mouth - I used to have nightmares about him when I was little.

11/07/2013 at 21:10

Marathon Molly, I like the idea of Metal Mouth but I don't think I could do Ursula justice in a bikini! I did look for a gold dress online but now OH has spent money on his outfit, it seemed a waste to get a new dress (although did find some new running gear!) so I think I will try and accessorise a LBD I already have.

11/07/2013 at 22:41

Shades – yes, you picked up on that determination as this weather is not my favourite running conditions, but heck I’ve got to get on with it whatever the weather to get fitness back.  Would be lovely to meet up again.  Are you doing Sturminster Newton half this year?  

Marathon Molly – enjoy your swimming in your new cossie!  Aye, that was one of Flossette’s bestest disastrous moments!  Was a bit worried that the pregnancy would set off the dislocations again, but she seems to have stabilised on that front and it might have been something to do with growing too quickly.  After all, she is nearly 6ft tall – just a small giraffe!

Third run of the week tomorrow and looking forward to it, albeit that it will be after work around 4 pm. 

12/07/2013 at 06:48

SK - hopefully an XS and in a ladies fit you might be OK!

Good luck with the Bond costume...I've never seen more than a few minutes of a Bond film but can't imagine you could get away with wearing your new running gear...LOL.   Will have to be the LBD.

Flossie - I haven't entered Stur Half yet but I am planning to do it.

12/07/2013 at 09:26

SK - No reason why you couldn't go as James - I like the female tuxedo look

Shades - I think I've seen all the old Bond films - I used to watch them with my dad. haven't seen a daniel Craig one though, I've had enough of seeing people wrestling on top of speeding trains. Have a good run in Tenby.

Flossie - Is Flossette expecting a boy or a girl?

My calf behaved on my run last night. Rest today and then a very steady 12 miles tomorrow. 

12/07/2013 at 09:56

The t shirt for the race has arrived and it's HUGE!!! No way am I wearing that, it's more like a dress!

12/07/2013 at 10:10

SK - use it as a nightie!

12/07/2013 at 12:16

Grr, that is annoying for you SK - I always find the same with unisex T-shirts - as a midgety type they are always like bin bags on me  Can you wear one of yours in a similar colour instead?

Flossie, hope your run goes well, sounds like you're getting back into it well

Shades, I am struggling to get my head around doing ONE marathon, let alone 300... definitely a massive achievement.

Molly, hope the calf continues to be compliant, good luck for your 12 miles.

I have just done 18 miles - was hot and hilly!  I was panting my way up the hill, pursued by a million flies and calling down curses on the poor unsuspecting fell runner (tip, as a novice, never take route advice from a very successful fell runner!) that suggested the route to me, when I suddenly came out at the top and there was the most amazing view of the whole of Lower Weardale.  Stunning run!  Hard work for sure, but totally worth it (I may avoid it on very hot days, however...)

12/07/2013 at 13:09

SK - I seem to remember last year that anyone petite was swamped by the shirts...LOL, hence my previous remarks

molly - that's good news about the calf

Madbee - if you can run 18 miles in this weather you have nothing to worry about when it comes to doing your marathon

12/07/2013 at 16:41

Shades your marathon count is just crazy and amazing Well done - so close to 300 now

I have not run at all in ramadhan. Wife's family are all here as her sister decided to give birth at the hospital near my house. Consequently i've been looking after the twins at the only time i could have run - the hour before breaking my fast. Not too bothered though. Am super tired.

Molly - running at the beginning of the fast would mean spending the rest of the fast thirsty and hungry I'd rather get that way at the end of the fast. Also timings would make it impractical. I finish eating at around 3am (so get up for breakfast at 2.30am) and then start eating and drinking again at around 9.20pm.

12/07/2013 at 17:16

"running at the beginning of the fast would mean spending the rest of the fast thirsty and hungry"

Khani - I hadn't thought of that  Enjoy the twins!

12/07/2013 at 20:56

Had a good run yesterday evening along the river  - flat and partly in the shade - but with 2 disappointments. About a mile and a half from home (on the way back) I got a pain under the ball of my left foot, nothing there one second, really hurt the next. Carried on running, but when I got home I couldn't wait to get my shoe and sock off. It felt like my toes were squashed and my foot was twisted . Hurt all day today, so had to hobble around, then this evening the pain disappeared . Had a day off today as didn't want to aggravate it. But what was worse.... I ran past the river café on the way out (as I hadn't run enough miles), and I'd remembered my money and was really looking forward to a cream soda float on the way back BUT when I ran back they had closed . I was soooo disappointed.

Day off work tomorrow as it's grand-daughter's naming ceremony

Shades - good luck at Tenby - you could go for a dip in the sea afterwards

12/07/2013 at 22:46

Did some 400m reps tonight on a track. Did x10 at just under 6min/mile pace. Quite hard work and exhausting given only about 2.5 miles in total. I'd quite like to do these regularly but the swimming finishes next week so would mean sneaking into the big posh school and hoping no one notices!

Madbee, which mararhon are you doing again? I cant imagine doing more than 10 miles in this heat so 18 miles is brilliant. It's weird how in marathon training you regularly knock out long runs of 16/18 miles plus but then a couple of months later and for me anyway, 9 or 10 miles now seems long! 

12/07/2013 at 23:07

Shades – if you’re definitely entering Stur Half, I’ll come and cheer you on.

Marathon Molly – Flossette’s expecting a girl and she’s late.  Funny that, Flossette’s always late...  Glad to hear that calf is behaving.  

Madbee – what an awesome run you had today.  I love adventures like that.  Mind you, we see some pretty wonderful wildlife round here, sadly my cheeky heron wasn’t standing in the big pond today. 

Mowzer – hope you’re foot is much better and that the naming celebration goes well tomorrow.

Another 2 miler knocked out this afternoon – fastest of the week so far.

13/07/2013 at 06:58

Khanivore - trying to run whilst fasting in this weather would be really tough anyway so best just to leave it for the time being.

mowzer - ouch, hope that doesn't happen again with your foot.

Going for a dip or even a paddle after Tenby is tempting.  It won't happen though as it means walking all the way back down to the sea and I have a 4 hour drive home, it's going to be a slow marathon in the heat anyway so will need to get on the road ASAP.

SK - that's fast

Flossie - we shall have to refer to the baby as Flossetta, how late is her arrival now?

Well done on your fastest run of the week, you're doing well in this heat.

I will enter Stur sometime during the next week, I'm home next weekend and have a lot of paperwork to catch up on, race entries etc.

13/07/2013 at 13:15

Do you know how I said I thought Barnstaple parkrun maybe 30 secs quicker than Killerton? Turns out I was wrong! I did Barnstaple today in 21.29 whereas last week I did Killerton in 21.32. It's a nice course though and I'd do it again. 

Just having a refreshing beer in the sun

13/07/2013 at 15:28

lol

i managed to improve on last weeks time to 25:42, thats either 2 seconds according to my watch or 20 secs according to parkrun who i cant be bothered pointing out there is a error in their times somewhere

harder work this week as i was struggling to keep going in the heat. still a few seconds off every week and i'll get there eventually :P

13/07/2013 at 16:51

Keith, have you been doing parkruns for very long? I'm fairly new to them (today was my 5th in 6 weeks) but I'm definitely hooked!

13/07/2013 at 18:30

not really done them as its only been this year since we had any within a few hours drive of me

carlisle started in jan and i was going once a month when i visited granny, workington started a month ago and is a 15 min drive away so will be going there fairly often

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.