Shades Marathon Training

61,981 to 62,000 of 66,732 messages
16/07/2013 at 10:51

Madbee - enjoy your rest day today 

16/07/2013 at 17:52

Hope your sports massage goes well Molly and its not too painful!
Swimming tip....Practice practice practice!

Big G - Lol! You did sound like you work for park run! Volunteers though aren't they?
perhaps you could start your own in NA! With the help of the Club it would be a success.

My foot is a bit better today, must be as I did a insanity workout!. Day 9 today. Loving it  Plus I'm making the most of the weather and going out on the bike everyday. loving that too. 

16/07/2013 at 20:47

((healing vibes)) to Shades, VR, Molly and anyone else with niggles.

Never having had sore muscles after marathons or even longer, I got the shock of my life yesterday when I woke up with stiff, sore calves and glutes . Had a day off yesterday and went out for a slow run today - in fact legs didn't hurt half as much when I was running as when I'm bumbling around. I think it must have been all that walking we did on Sunday (either that or the stiles) . I can remember having really sore legs once after a fast 5k race - which is why I don't attempt shorter races now .

16/07/2013 at 22:00

OK, today was completely off the rails as Flossetta is trying to enter this world and Flossette has been in labour since 6 am today.  So 'whoa betide' has been and gone and done her worst, although I have been 'racing' in and out of hospital all day today with food and drinks to keep parents going.  TBH I'm soooo excited, can't contain myself.  Have to work tomorrow real early, so better get some shuteye! 

17/07/2013 at 07:11

Flossie - ooh, can't wait for the news

Big G - I think the Park Runs are a great idea, I guess we don't have any locally as no suitable venues?

molly - your swimming will soon improve, keep up with the lessons.

VR - LOL at you doing the Insanity.  I hope you're not doing the jumping exercises otherwise you will be injured for a very long time.   I've seen the trailers on Irish TV in the mornings so I know what they do.

mowzer - probably the walking using different muscles. I had really sore quads after the triple, thought I was injured but it was all the walking!

Feet are getting better but hamstring origin/glute very sore when running.  

PSC    pirate
17/07/2013 at 07:15

Morning Shadies...

Molly, once you have got the stroke right, keeping it nice and slow and efficient then you've cracked it.  And a half IM is only 1 length, there is no pointless turning around every 25 yards or so. Just as Channel swimmers only do one width.....

17/07/2013 at 08:06

Morning PSC - how are you all?   Ultras, Ironman, what are you and bo-bo up to?

PSC wrote (see)

. Just as Channel swimmers only do one width.....

LOL

17/07/2013 at 08:41

VR/Shades - I've been trying to think of local venues for parkruns and I did email parkrun with a few ideas (Torre Abbey, Oldway, Decoy, Stover, Babbacome Downs).   Ideally, as well as being a "nice" park it is better if it's a one lap route (this isn't essential), but parking, toilet facilities and a cafe afterwards are more-or-less essential.  

It is run by volunteers so parkrun would need someone to come forward to organise it.  I'd imagine it's quite a lot of work to get one going in terms of liaising with councils, park committees, getting a team of volunteers in place and trained up etc, and parkun estimate 3-6 months from start to finish.

PSC    pirate
17/07/2013 at 08:54

Hiya Shades... we are both very well thanks.  I've still got this niggling injury (only had it for 6 years now) so have pretty much stopped running of late (having done about half a dozen mara distance events at the beginning of the year).  I've been finding that over about the half mara distance and i am relying on pain killers to allow me to keep going which is a bit daft.  But I am doing loads of (pain free) cycling so keeping the weight under control! LOL.  Bobo continues to run brilliantly and seemingly effortlessly despite the heat.  We are both entered into a 50 later this year but I think i will be reverting to pit stop duties which is a realy shame as I do love the longer LDWA events.  I pulled out of Outlaw (Ironman distance) this year but am not bothered by that as it was the right decision.  I am sure I would have done it, but I would have tried to race it and that would have hurt.  Lucky I did too as the event was quite recent and it was over 30 degrees on the bike/run leg - lots of people were really quite ill!  Serendipity I think having only pulled out 6 weeks ago.

Good to see the thread is still well and truely alive.  **waves at everyone**

17/07/2013 at 13:28

Big G - I guess finding the volunteers and somebody to manage it is the key.

PSC - how annoying that you still have that injury and shame you had to withdraw from Outlaw.   I wouldn't be racing in this heat either by choice.   Give my regards to bo-bo, not sure when I'm in your area again but we must try and meet up some time.

17/07/2013 at 15:15

Hi Shades and Everyone, Flossetta entered our world at 11.40 pm on 16.07.2013 weighing in at a bonny 7lb 9ozs.  Mother and baby doing great - she's already home and the midwife's with her already for some assurance.  Baby looks so tiny in her cot!   Lucky baby has the most doting father and mother - you couldn't really ask for more as a baby.    Resting today as absolutely pooped with all the running about yesterday.  Mr Flossie has already fallen asleep with a spark plug from the boat engine in his hand...no doubt we'll need to go out again soon to change it.  

PSC and Bobo *waves back*.  Hiya!!!

17/07/2013 at 15:45

Flossie - aww that's lovely news, congratulations all round. Fantastic 

PSC - I was chuckling about the one length comment! Next lesson tomorrow morning and I've GOT to crack that breathing lark, it can't beat me. Don't get me started on the bike either - am probably the only person in the world that goes faster uphill rather than down. I'm such a wimp I'm pratically glued to my brakes with a Wallace & gromit face on. Waves to Bobo.

Shades - hope your hamstring is starting to ease

Mowzer - hope your legs are improving too

VR - what's insanity? Its name sounds very energetic

Big G - I'm sure it'd be hard work organising a PR. Much better travelling round running them. If you do loads of different ones you could write a guide

17/07/2013 at 15:47

I went for a sports torture ...err massage yesterday. I was sweating in pain. I had a big knot in my calf which has been loosened but I've also got a massive bruise - it looks like I've got a Granny Smith's stuck on my leg. No running until Sun & no high heels at work either. 

17/07/2013 at 17:06

Congratulations Flossie! Is that your first grandchild? What a hot week to be born into, I cannot imagine bein in labour in this weather (although mine were born in the water which would help). Hope mum and baby doing well.

MM - didn't realise you could get bruises from a massage! Hope it starts to feel better soon. Well done on the swimming lessons - I could really do with them as only ever do breast stroke.

Shades, hope you get over your niggles soon. I guess doing 3 in 3 means you are bound to get the odd injury but hopefully it's not a biggie.

I've had an annoying cold with sore throat for the past 3 days. Really hope it goes by Sunday when I'm doing the Olympic park run. Heard yesterday that Paula Radcliff is running so very excited!

Edited: 17/07/2013 at 17:07
17/07/2013 at 22:37

Molly- Insanity is a 60 day exercise programme. I think you buy the cd package but I got it from a friend on a memory stick for free. It's cardio with resistance using your own body weight. So no other equipment needed. Some days are 40 mins long doing intervals with short recovery. other days are 30 mins with abs or lower impact recovery. there is a fair amount of jumping around! But you can do a lower impact version as long as you keep moving! 

18/07/2013 at 00:10

Flossie - that's fantastic news. Congratulations all round and a big well done to Flossette.

18/07/2013 at 06:16

Congratulations on becoming a grandma Flossie - and a big welcome to the new arrival. Lovely news!

Slowkoala - Good luck with your race on Sunday and TRY not to overtake Paula - you know what you are like ...

Still really loving my base training.. Out around five times a week and up to around 60 to 70k mileage now. Had a bit of a sore lower calf in each leg (nothing as bad as you Molly, can't believe you got a bruise!) which went after a day or two rest. Early morning running in summer is brilliant. Can do lots of trail running as can see where I'm going 

PSC    pirate
18/07/2013 at 06:19

Hi Flossie and Molly..

Shades, the coffee pot is always on and you are welcome anytime

Edited: 18/07/2013 at 06:19
18/07/2013 at 07:13

Mamafox - 60-70k miles per week?!! Doesn't k=1,000? That's loads!

18/07/2013 at 07:14

Flossie - congratulations, hope you are all having a well deserved rest now.

molly - I hope that has sorted your calf out

SK - how exciting lining up with Paula, hope that cold clears up by then

Hamstring origin injury is an injury I had before but didn't reoccur from the triple, I tripped on the mat in the finishing straight at Tenby and pulled the muscle then.   But I'm working through it and it is improving daily, but not as much as I'd like

mamafox - that mileage is improving well.  

I forgot to say a few days ago that I didn't do my Hadd test when planned.   Will have to wait now for at least a couple of weeks

PSC - thanks

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.