Shades Marathon Training

62,001 to 62,020 of 67,851 messages
18/07/2013 at 07:16

Morning SK - how's the cold?

70k is about 43 miles

18/07/2013 at 09:30

My Club run last night was a "reccie run" of the Haytor Heller event, which is taking place this Saturday.  It's 6 miles and I'd say it is a very tough trail course; I would say it's unrunnable for large parts of it, with large boulders/stones, very steep incines/declines, a small river crossing etc.  However, I just had a look at the course record, and it is under 40mins, which is actually quicker than I can run 6 miles on a nice, flat tarmac course.  Hmmmm.  The group that I was in ended up being the middle group, and we did stop a few times to let people catch up etc, but we took 90 minutes to do the course!  This was on a pleasant, dry evening, if a bit hot.  I can imagine it would have easily been 30mins longer if it had been raining heavily.

Generally, I don't like the offroad stuff but I did enjoy it last night even though it was very much a shuffle/walk/climb strategy that I adopted.  It was made even better that we all ended up at a hotel owned by a fellow Trotter near Haytor, which we had a meal and a couple of shandies

I'm marshaling the event on Saturday so I hope I don't send the lead runners off in the wrong direction!  I can imagine it would very easy to do in the middle of nowhere on Dartmoor.... I understand that a few years ago it was absolute chaos as runners were going off all over the place

18/07/2013 at 09:40

Big G- The Heller is like a fell race! I've done it a few times. Tough! See you on the day. I'm marshalling too.

Grandma Flossie-Congratulations! Glad everything went well 

18/07/2013 at 10:39

VR - I was wondering if you had done it.  It does seem a popular race, but it's not really my type of thing even though I did enjoy it last night.  I am absolutely rubbish on the offroad stuff.  I even struggle at Killerton parkrun (which isn't in the same league as the Heller) with people overtaking me on the downhills trails where I drastically slow down, but I (comparatively) whizz past them on the uphill/flat sections.  I think it's a confidence issue, but not sure why really.   At the ripe old age of 37, I don't think I'll really change that now as I'm always worried about turning an ankle or something.

18/07/2013 at 13:23

I didn't even twig that k=km, doh!! Too early in the morning! But 43 miles is still very good going

Shades, still have the cold but think it should be much better by Sunday as past the worst now. Ran 4 miles last night and was fine. Apparently Victoria Pendleton also running on Sunday. Interested to see how fast she is. Hope I get to see Paula. Hope your hamstring improves quickly. At least if it's improving daily, you know it will be ok soon.

Edited: 18/07/2013 at 13:26
18/07/2013 at 15:19

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

Congrats Flossie

Not sure whether to go for a run tonight or get up early tomorrow...hmmmm

18/07/2013 at 19:06

I did a slow 10-miler after work today. It was very hot, but the fact I found a crispy five pound note on the path put a spring in my step

18/07/2013 at 22:45

That's Mine! 

19/07/2013 at 07:13

When I was in Ireland one of the 10 in 10 runners said his run had been much better that day as he'd found a 10 euro note, which was then promptly snatched from his hand by his OH who'd dropped it when going ahead to buy the ice creams at the garage.

SK - glad you're recovering.   Would be great if you see Paula on Sunday, I saw her on telly commentating at the athletics and thought she looked really well.

VR - you at Chudleigh tonight?

19/07/2013 at 07:19

Forgot to say I had an email from Cork marathon yesterday asking for my bank details so they can pay my prize money to me.   I had a terrible run there (2 days after DD) , so maybe the pain  was worth it

19/07/2013 at 07:44

I bet that was a nice surprise Shades 

butler is Marshalling at Chudleigh. I might pop down, I haven't entered it so may see you there.

19/07/2013 at 08:10

VR - you can enter on the night, at the Town Hall, but not if it's risks your foot injury recovery, of course.

I've hired the car for next weekend, unfortunately I didn't hire one with air conditioning as it was an extra £15, but we still might get AC if we're lucky.   Hope it cools down for next weekend

19/07/2013 at 08:58
SHADES wrote (see)

When I was in Ireland one of the 10 in 10 runners said his run had been much better that day as he'd found a 10 euro note, which was then promptly snatched from his hand by his OH who'd dropped it when going ahead to buy the ice creams at the garage.

Ha ha Shades.  That has bought back a memory.  On the rare occasion my Dad found any money on the floor, before it could reach his pocket my Mum always grabbed it out of his hand saying something like "Oh great, I'll take that", with a grin on her face  In fairness, it would end up going towards a treat for us (fish and chips, or something).

19/07/2013 at 17:03

SK - Sunday sounds exciting, look forward to hearing all about it. I'd love to be able to run with Paula & Victoria!

Shades - congrats on your prize money  - no pain no gain 

Big G/ VR - enjoy marshalling on Sunday, hope it's not too hot for the runners as the course sounds pretty tough

KK - that was so funny reading that link!

No running for me until Mon I reckon. I swam yesterday and got up today at 630 to cycle 1.5h this morning before work. Cycling again tomorrow and going to try swimming in the sea for the first time on Sun aft. Poor fish

Have a lovely weekend x  

20/07/2013 at 06:01

molly - how does the calf feel now, on the mend?

I'm not a keen swimmer but my preference is always to swim in the sea, hate swimming pools.

Was race referee at a local 6 mile race last night, VR behaved herself (and ran well) so no incidents to report.

Weekend at home, lots to do though

20/07/2013 at 07:40

Molly - you are going to be superfit if you keep going like that! Hope your swim goes well. Sea swimming much more fun than in a pool - do you have big waves on your part of the coast? (Why do I feel like I am 6yo asking that question?!)

KK - Thank you for that link 

Shades - Hope hamstring enjoying the weekend off! 

Been for a good 10k this morning in some lovely new kit I bought yesterday - and very nice I looked in it too! Unfortunately everyone asleep when I left house, asleep when I got back and saw no-one when I was out. Dogs appreciated it though!!

20/07/2013 at 08:52

Hi Everyone, thanks very much for all your lovely best wishes.  Been a bit busy as you can imagine.  However, while I was at work yesterday, Flossette got rushed into hospital with haemorrhaging and could be in all weekend.  Waiting for scan to see what’s wrong and possibly down to theatre to sort it out.  Flossetta and Dad all A-OK, thank goodness.  This has been a week to remember.  Finding running a bit hard in this heat, but powerwalking will suffice for me until it gets a bit cooler.  If you’re training or racing this weekend, all the best and have a good one.  Bit cooler this weekend. 

20/07/2013 at 12:10

Flossie, hope Flosettta is OK and gets home from hospital soon.

Just been to see some of my running club doing a marathon around a track! One of the guys is turning 60 and is about to finish his 100th marathon on the track. One guy started early and has already finished. He got a time of 2:41 which gets him a championship place at VLM and makes him the no.1 over 50 vet for marathons in the UK. Very impressive, but no way could I attempt a mara on a track! They were lucky that it's so much cooler this morning.

20/07/2013 at 22:05

Slowkoala - take my hat off to all you guys running in this heat, especially the vet you mentioned in your last post especially on the track. 

Flossette is in the pink and out of hospital - phew! 

21/07/2013 at 07:42

Flossie - that was a bit of a scare.  Great that all is OK and Flossette is back home again.

mamafox - I love shopping for new running kit.   We all spend quite a lot of our time running and think new kit is well deserved, might sneak a look on the internet later to see if there are any bargains

Do you take the dogs running with you?

SK - my friend and I discussed SP's marathon event on the track last weekend (and why we weren't doing it), would have been tough in the heat, tracks can be very warm.  

That's an amazing time for a V50.  But not the fastest this year, Derry marathon was won by a V50 in 2:30, but he may not appear in the rankings if he doesn't have an EA licence, not sure what the rules are for Northern Ireland, would have thought they were UKA?

Weather feels a bit cooler today...hope it stays that way, I'm so fed up of this horrible weather.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.