Shades Marathon Training

62,201 to 62,220 of 67,238 messages
09/08/2013 at 11:00

I had that exact niggle after any harder run, Lesley, when I was starting to build up my mileage.  I made sure I had two rest days after a long run (it generally stopped hurting after this), and it has now gone away completely, I am pleased to report. (I do now have a rather stiff knee all the time, but I think that's just muscle tension and it isn't enough to cause any major discomfort.)

Back from my 20 miler this morning - feeling much bouncier than I did after the last one!  I think I probably picked an easier route, but I also think it's partly that psychologically I knew I could do it this time. 

09/08/2013 at 12:25

Madbee - Wow 20 miles comfortably thats great. 

I think that its the biking last night thats has caused this ache as I have only done two smaller runs this week (3 miles and 4 miles) and it didnt hurt after the long run that I did last weekend (10.5 miles).  I would normally be doing 2 x 5 miles minimum during the week.

09/08/2013 at 12:35

Lesley - How about taking a few days rest and see how it goes? If I feel a niggle - i pull back on the pace and try to focus on my form and running 'easy'.

Madbee - well done on the 20 miler! Are you training for an autumn mara?

09/08/2013 at 13:03

Emmy - why is it not a 'real' event?

VR and I are leaving for the IOM tomorrow, flying from Gloucester in a little (ish) plane

Lesley - don't know what that niggle is, unusual place for a running injury.   Just be a bit careful if it flares up again.

09/08/2013 at 13:14

Hi Shades- apologies - it's not a "real" rock and roll affiliated event. It's a 'music' event where music is played all along the route so it's the rock and roll marathon in everythiing but the official name. I'm hoping for a good medal

Hopefully everything will go well for the weekend! 

09/08/2013 at 13:43

Emmy - I think I'd like the music event better

09/08/2013 at 18:08

Lesley, got to agree with the others, just have a couple of quiet days and see how it feels.

Emmy, yes, I am doing Kielder marathon on 6th October - my first one, and I'm excited!  It's meant to be really beautiful, though not the easiest course...  Enjoy your musical run!

Edited: 09/08/2013 at 18:09
09/08/2013 at 22:01

Good luck to Shades and VR in the IOM  and to Emmy on the 'rock & roll' marathon .

Special wishes for Shades on her 300th marathon - have a great time . Does the IOM have its own version of Guinness?

10/08/2013 at 05:35

mowzer - IOM has it's own brewery but not any beer to my taste.    Actually I've not been drinking much Guinness, think I've gone off it slightly, but not really been drinking much when away travelling to races.

Up early, faff and pack, food shop for my Mum and we're off about 9.30 to airport.   2 years ago is when I had a nightmare trip to this airport as there were delays on the M5.   When the traffic cleared I did the last few miles up the motorway following a black Bentley who I was convinced was trying to make the airport and my flight too, we were going very fast.  I was wrong he carried on when I came off the M5 for the airport, finally arrived 20 mins before my flight and they let me on board...phew.

10/08/2013 at 07:51

Shades, best of luck with your 300th marathon!!! Hope you have a great trip.

10/08/2013 at 07:55

Shades, VR and Emmy - Good luck for your marathons this weekend!!

Shades - Hope your journey to the airport is less stressful this time! Will be raising a glass to you for your 300th marathon and I really hope you enjoy it

10/08/2013 at 08:06

Thanks Slowkoala and mamafox.  Am really looking forward to the weekend, IOM is one of my very favourite places to visit.

Good luck to all racing this weekend.

10/08/2013 at 11:51

Shades - I think I have sent you a request for the plan. Have just started getting into running.

Mowzer - I think your daughter may be my son's former teacher!

PSC    pirate
10/08/2013 at 13:07

Shades, good luck this weekend. If you need any advice on pace or nutrition don't hesitate to ask?  

* runs away *

Edited: 10/08/2013 at 13:09
10/08/2013 at 13:38

Shades - best of luck for your 300th marathon. A fantastic achievement!

VR/Shades - have a draft and uneventful trip over. I hope everything goes to plan. I've heard from some friends on the island that its perfect running weather today

mamafox/ slowkoala - thank you for the good wishes! I'm sure ill start 'feeling' it once I've packed my race bag tonight!

what does everyone have planned this weekend for runs?

11/08/2013 at 22:52

LOL PSC!! 

Well, The Shadey one has done it!!

300 marathons!!

Shades has been here many times before but it was my first time here on the IOM. The course is 2 laps a few bumps but mostly flat. It was a bit windy, cloudy and sunny too. We both had good runs. I did the first half in 2.03 then struggled a bit on the second lap. Finished in 4.29. Selina too had a good 1st half and did 4.56.

We both won our age catogories and received a lovely glass plaque Each. Free buffet afterwards. A really lovely low key event. Not to be missed!

I hear Emmy had a fantastic run today!! Well done Emmy 

12/08/2013 at 07:28

Woohooo!!!!  I hope you did lots of celebrating VR and Shades.  That really is an amazing achievement

How did your race go Emmy?  

I had a rest over the weekend after a 20 miler on Friday, but did spend a lot of yesterday afternoon running around being chased and spat on by a llama!  It was rather horrible.

Just wondering - my husband is feeling a bit inspired by my runnning, and fancies having a go - he has a reasonable base-level of fitness, and is built like a french bean - is the couch to 5K a sensible way for him to start, or would others go for a different plan?  I started with C25K about 5 years ago, but I was overweight and unfit so it seemed ideal for my level at the time!  I'm worried A will get bored with it and push it a bit far if he does start with something so basic, but on the other hand I don't want to encourage him to launch in with something too hard...

12/08/2013 at 09:07

Well done VR & Shades and Emmy, way to goand of course to anyone else that was racing this weekend.

I ended up doing a run on Friday afternoon I just put some cooling gel on my leg and it seemed fine, theres no pain while running so I managed a 5.7 mile run in 60 minutes which is an improvement on the times that I've been doing.

I also did a LSR yesterday with my OH and that went ok as well. We did our longest run yet of 11.5 miles and my leg feels ok.  I dont think that its anything serious just a niggle but will keep an eye on it and rest if necessary.

12/08/2013 at 09:17
Valley Runner wrote (see)

LOL PSC!! 

Well, The Shadey one has done it!!

300 marathons!!

Shades has been here many times before but it was my first time here on the IOM. The course is 2 laps a few bumps but mostly flat. It was a bit windy, cloudy and sunny too. We both had good runs. I did the first half in 2.03 then struggled a bit on the second lap. Finished in 4.29. Selina too had a good 1st half and did 4.56.

We both won our age catogories and received a lovely glass plaque Each. Free buffet afterwards. A really lovely low key event. Not to be missed!

I hear Emmy had a fantastic run today!! Well done Emmy 

A HUGE well done to Shades and VR - cracking runs!

Madbee wrote (see)

How did your race go Emmy?  

Well.... I PB'ed! I decided to just run it easy and 'within' myself so just kept everything relaxed. I hit the half way point in 2.10 and thought: hmm... this feels alright- let's just see how I feel at 20 miles. I came round to 20 miles and I knew that if I kept up my pace -i'd PB by roughly 5 ish minutes... so kept pushing and when it got hard... pushed further.

I came in at 4.20 - a huge 25 min PB. If I didnt have my garmin I would never believe it. Am absolutely stunned.

Once Shades has come back and 'recovered' I'll want her advice for Berlin/Paris aims. People are starting to talk of sub-4 being realistic 

Edited: 12/08/2013 at 09:18
12/08/2013 at 10:14

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh 300 marathons!! Shades you are an inspiration!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.