Shades Marathon Training

62,401 to 62,420 of 66,229 messages
01/09/2013 at 08:06

Mamafox - good luck for today and enjoy

Sk - fantastic trophy news! Time for a bigger cabinet

Iain - i'm in the ballot too, fingers crossed!

Shades - you were out early!

I did my longest lsr for Berlin yesterday 30k and it was much better than previous weeks even though it was slightly longer. Very slow and steady and even pace which has boosted my confidence a bit. Off to the beach with my dad, probably will be last swim in the sea before it gets too cold.

01/09/2013 at 08:31

Molly - I think you'll do better at Berlin than you think.  You won't need that ballot entry next time you'll have your GFA time.

Have a nice time at the beach with your Dad.

I woke early at usual time so just decided to get up and do my run.   I might even get to the gym too for an hour's workout if I get myself organised.

01/09/2013 at 18:07

Well done on the 30k Molly, must feel good to have that under your belt.

Shades, I chickened out of wearing my racing shoes for the races yesterday as wasn't sure how they would have been on grass and didn't want the embarrassment of having a fall in flashy new shoes! Tried them on a tempo run earlier in the week though and they felt nice and light.

Gym + run on a Sunday? I thought you were having a relaxing weekend?!

I did 10 miles this morning which went OK but it's amazing how quickly 10 miles starts to feel very long when you've done nothing longer for a while. Starting to feel quite autumnal now.

01/09/2013 at 19:43

Hi all,

SK - well done on the trophies!!

I got a 20-miler in this morning and felt ok and could have carried on, which is encouraging. I did 10min/mile with the last two at 9min/mile. I was tired at the end but finished strongly, so I was pleased. I was really tired this afternoon though. I also did a local 5(ish) mile offroad/trail race on Friday evening and I enjoyed it, except the last mile which was up a steep hill!!! It just seemed to go on and on. Not sure of the official result but I did it in around 38:40ish in that I think.    The last week was a bit of a nightmare for some non-running related reasons. We went out on Tues night and didn't get home until midnight but I picked up a voice mail when I got home from my Dad's neighbour saying he had been taken to hospital after collapsing whilst out fishing. I wasn't sure what to do at that time of night but it turned out to be some issue with the meds he takes for his diabetes. In some ways it was good it happened as at least now it'll be sorted as he's been struggling for a while but not going to the Docs to get assessed. Tut....bloody parents  

The fact the house is a mess (due to the bathroom being redone) isn't helping my mood either. For example, I went downstairs to the kitchen with the lights off one night and nearly fell into the new bath as I forgot that's where it had been stored  I confess I did swear (loudly) but then couldn't help but laugh...  

There are two new parkruns that are driveable for a weekend away for me, so I may take those in at some point. They're in Yeovil and Weymouth.   

We're just wondering whether to go to Scotland for the Commonwealth Games next year. Is any one else thinking of going? We loved the events we saw at the Olympics last year but logistically it's harder for me with these games being in Scotland. We'll see what happens with that...we've still got time to think about it. 

Edited: 01/09/2013 at 19:45
02/09/2013 at 07:04

SK - I don't blame you for not using the new shoes at a club race, peeps expect you to run even faster if you have new shoes.

Didn't get to the gym yesterday, my gym is only open until noon on a Sunday and I ran out of time.   I only do upper body stuff, no aerobic except maybe 5 mins on the rower so not taxing even if I've been running.   I used the hotel gym in Longford last weekend the morning after my 39.3 mile race, certainly helped my recovery.

Big G - glad you Dad is OK.

Well done on your 20 miler, you are running strongly.

But put the light on next time otherwise you might end up getting injured by falling into your new bath!

No not going to Commonwealth Games, I spend all my spare dosh on marathon trips so will have to watch on the telly.

I only just finished watching the World Champs on telly

Lovely run this morning, cooler, still wore a vest but fingerless gloves too

Edited: 02/09/2013 at 07:05
02/09/2013 at 07:58

Shades - fortunately the "falling into the bath that is stored in the kitchen" incident won't happen again as the bath is now in its rightful place (i.e., in the bathroom)

I slept well, but I'm tired this morning 

02/09/2013 at 08:05
SHADES wrote (see)

SK - I don't blame you for not using the new shoes at a club race, peeps expect you to run even faster if you have new shoes.

Didn't get to the gym yesterday, my gym is only open until noon on a Sunday and I ran out of time.   I only do upper body stuff, no aerobic except maybe 5 mins on the rower so not taxing even if I've been running.   I used the hotel gym in Longford last weekend the morning after my 39.3 mile race, certainly helped my recovery.

I only just finished watching the World Champs on telly

I havent even started with the World Champs! You're ahead of me! I agree about using the gym after a race. I find it really helps loosen me up

02/09/2013 at 08:11

Emmy - but I have several Diamond League that I still haven't watched, watched the one from Oslo which was in June last night.

02/09/2013 at 10:18

SK - Well done on the Trophies

mamafox - How did the Trail run go ?

mm - Good Lsr by the sounds of it, always nice to get the mental boost
when things feel good.

What an amazing weekend, headed down to Oxford on Friday night to my Mums. Spent the day with the wife showing her the sights of Oxford & a few pubs etc in the sun just a nice relaxing day that we've not been able to for too long. Then up early Sunday (out the door just after 6) for an 18 miler, wanted to do 20 but ran out of time. Feeling good at the moment and struggling most of the time to keep my pace down, Averaged 9:52 & felt like I could have carried on to full marathon distance no problem. Getting worried about getting carried away in Berlin now! , starting to think sub 4 is do-able, but know in reality i'm not ready so it wouldn't end well. 4 weeks ago I was thinking 4:39 , that changed to 4:29 & now thinking 4:19. Go out at 9:45min/miles and see what happens.

Then an hours drive to Salisbury to go jump out of a plane, feeling very calm, we sign in & do the half hour 'training' , then it's just a waiting game until you're called. Quite a few classic cars & bikes turn up so have a wander round those, then trying to get score updates from the Liverpool game (get in!). Soon enough we're called in to get suited up & harness on & then meet our instructor who we'll be strapped to. First onto the plane which means I'm last out, wife is in front of me. Still feeling relaxed, then up we go to 10500ft and it sounds like they cut the engines as it goes dead quiet & the hatch opens. A little less relaxed now as one by one the 10 others jumpers get sucked out the plane, I say good luck to the wife as she dissappears out. We shuffle up & he says head back so just as I start to do this we're out! holy sh** those first few seconds are something else, spinning and rocking about before getting into the freefall position, that's over far too quickly and the chute is out and then a gentle float down with a few spins on the way, perfect landing which I was worried about. Then I give the wife a big hug & try and take in what just happened.wow. Now I just want to know the footy score & find out we've beaten ManU 1-0, top of the league ...perfect day. Will be back to do that again for sure, from 15000 next time.

Bit of a come down today though, back at work, at least all the Utd fans here are quiet..ha ha.

02/09/2013 at 10:27

Kingkenny - a great write up of the jump. I know what you mean about the engines cutting out - its quite scary! I couldnt believe how quickly the freefall went as well. Did you manage to steer the chute?

02/09/2013 at 11:03

Yeah he said here have a go & handed me the ropes! was a little nervous at first to pull them hard but going into the spirals is really fun but get fast very quickly..but took my mind off the height we were at!

02/09/2013 at 11:52

KK - that sounds a great experience and weekend!  Kind of related, but did you see that news item a couple of weeks ago about two school girls who are now world record holders for the youngest people to "wing walk".  Scary stuff!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23788260

02/09/2013 at 13:17

Wow that's a great story, not so sure I'd like to see my daughter (12) doing that! . I wouldn't do it either, I'd start thinking way too much about what's holding me to the plane!

02/09/2013 at 13:18

KK - glad you enjoyed your parachute jump - great experience (for those that have the nerve!)

Kent Coastal yesterday - one of my favourites, this was the 5th time I've done it. First time I did 4:43, then 4:31 and the third time despite having injured my back (on painkillers, but was ok to run, just couldn't bend afterwards) I did 4:13. They changed the course slightly last year which means that instead of the hill out of Margate being just before the finish you now have still a mile and a half to go. Had a really good run last year, but had to stop for an extended loo-stop and I finished in 4:13:47.

This year the weather wasn't too hot and the sun remained hidden behind some clouds for most of the time. Quite happy with how I was going for the first half (even ran up all the hills) and got to the 13 mile mark just after 2 hrs . There was however an extremely strong headwind along the sea front from miles 13 to 19 which even made it hard to breathe. It also meant that I was leaning into the wind with my head down, so at about 14 and a half miles, and on top of the cliff promenade, when I tripped on a small piece of slightly raised tarmac I went down heavily . Luckily a runner just behind helped me to my feet and made sure I was ok. I limped off to the marshall who was only about 10 yds away. He apologised for not having any water or plasters but was able to offer some tissues and was a bit concerned that I wanted to go on. Looking at the blood dripping down my arm made me feel a bit light-headed, so I grabbed the tissues, said I was fine and mopped up as I ran through Margate. Rest of the run was uneventful. I even tried a gel (High5) but not sure if it had any effect. Slowed down a bit in the 2nd half but not too much, and finished in 4:13:47. At least I'm consistent .

Now have a bloodied elbow, knee and knuckles and I can feel a bruise on my thigh. Could say that all was hurt was my pride, but I end up on the floor too much for even that .

02/09/2013 at 13:30

Well done Mowser! I heard real mix responses about Kent Coastal yesterday. Dave Ross ran 3 miles extra as the Marshal had disappeared How are you feeling this morning with your injuries?

02/09/2013 at 13:32

Have had an interest spate of runs lately having been drenched through, almost tripped over by an inconsiderate dog owner and had my picture taken by some weirdo on a moored narrow boat.

Mowzer - will look out for you. Have been mainly running along the river in the opposite direction to you but will soon be changing direction as my runs get longer. Not sure where to head to as am a bit nervy after that jogger was attacked downstream from us. Hope you feel better soon and glad you managed to finish the course.

02/09/2013 at 13:33

Nice running mowzer , a fall in the middle and still a 4:13, got to be happy with that. Exact same time is weird though. What time did the fall cost you ? must have been stationery for a few mins at least. The event looks good, shame it's so far away in Kent. I'll add it onto my ever growing list anyway.

If I've got a bit of claret & some nettle stings at the end of a run it's been a good one

02/09/2013 at 15:45

Just got an e-mail about Berlin start time being brought forward to 8.45 plus other bits of info so KK check your spam!

02/09/2013 at 15:58

Yep - a few 'new' things RE: Berlin marathon. Hopefully it wont be affecting us too much.

03/09/2013 at 07:12

KK - wow that jump sounds so exciting, must have been an amazing experience.  And a good weekend's training too.

mowzer - ouch, that's a horrible thing to happen in a race but you still did a great time

Emmy - Dave Ross is well known for his poor sense of direction in races

Thanks for the Berlin info in your email, am really looking forward to it

Must have worked hard at Kettlecise last night as my abductors are sore this morning, quads and hammys aching a bit too.  But despite that had a pleasant run, but it's getting so dark in the morning now

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.