Shades Marathon Training

62,421 to 62,440 of 66,505 messages
03/09/2013 at 08:21

Emmy - ah that wasn't the usual Dave Ross just running off route (as he has done before) wonder if the other runners are blaming him though, unfortunate circumstances.  Marshall should have marked the route if he had to leave his post.

When I used the gym last week at Longford, they had a couple of great machines that I'd never used before....for 4 days I couldn't use my roll on deodorant without wincing, ouch.

At Kettlecise last night (Mondays are usually a little easier than Thursday's session) he split the class into 3 sections so we did all the bicep/triceps exercises together until arms were like jelly and likewise with the legs.   He's a very knowledgeable trainer (bodybuilding) so he knows exactly what he's doing but doesn't tell us.  

03/09/2013 at 08:23

Big G - I love duck eggs and they make brilliant cakes.

03/09/2013 at 08:28
Big_G wrote (see)

...Yesterday he brought with him 6 bantam and 6 chicken eggs, and today he is bringing 6 duck eggs as he has the free-range birds at his house.  My wife and I had the bantam eggs yesterday and my wife will be making a Victoria sponge cake with the duck eggs, so I'm happy with that

Wow! He sounds like a really nice chap!

@Shades- why do duck eggs make brilliant cakes? What's the difference?

No, it wasn't a 'normal' Dave error. I heard a few reports at various races of poor marshals (Wolvo had marshals disappearing from the route after 4hrs 30).

I'm trying to build up my core strength at the moment and was given some new exercises and one of them is working my upper body and back. There's a few muscles that I never realised that i had!

03/09/2013 at 11:25

Auryana - I never heard about a jogger getting attacked . What happened and, more importantly, where?

KK - lost about 4 mins I think through falling, but it did shake me up a bit.

Managed a very short recovery run and 30mins in the gym yesterday. Think my thigh and my arm just above the elbow are the most painful though surprisingly neither have discoloured into bruises yet. Putting lavender oil on the scabs so I can still bend my knee and elbow .

Shades/ Emmy - Dave was going strong when I saw him on the first half and I was very surprised he wasn't up with the leaders when they passed me after the turn around on the 2nd half. Now we know why. There was only one marshall at the turn ( a quite deserted spot), but I don't see why he would have to go to another aid station - I think he probably nipped to the loo . The sharp turn was marked on the ground with a pink arrow but I guess those at the front were going too fast to notice it . I've done at least 3 races in the last year where Dave has 'gone wandering' .

03/09/2013 at 13:10

Hi I have just worked my way through all of the messages, as been busy this last week or so.

KK - Wow you are braver than me, I think that it would be a great experience but could not through myself out of a plane!  Too scared of heights

I did a long run on Sunday with my OH the same route that we did about 3 weeks ago and despite being windy we felt really good and smashed the last time by 8 minutes.  We did 11.6 miles in 2 hrs 07 minutes and we did 11.55 miles in 2 hrs 15 minutes previously.  I was so pleased with myself I couldnt stop smiling for the rest of the day.

Mowszer - well done you did brilliantly to get going again and to finish in the same time as previously, you must have been working hard.

03/09/2013 at 13:26

Emmy - duck eggs are richer and have large very yellow yolks.

mowzer - sound like you're still suffering from your fall.

Will you be at New Forest this year?

Perhaps Dave should go to Specsavers

Lesley - well done on your training run, is it the 15th Sept for GNR?   I shall be watching on telly

03/09/2013 at 14:29

Lee Valley Path near Waltham Abbey woman in her 20's - 30's (a jogger) was attacked and I think raped judging by the mercury's latest post about it. 

More frighteningly another woman has been attacked closer to home on the New River Path in Hoddesdon somewhere. 

One of the children always come with me so far but when the evenings start drawing in and my mileage needs to be longer it's not going to be practical to take them with me 

03/09/2013 at 14:58

mmmmmm duck eggs are tasty!

LL - I'm not good with heights, went round the mil last night and she's having her roof retiled so has scaffolding up, I went up but didn't feel good at all and had a good grip on the scaffold !    . Good training run, feels good when you buzz for the rest of the day.

That Marshall must feel a bit of an idiot, what a time to go for a wander.

Good to hear you're healing Mowzer and back out there running.

03/09/2013 at 15:39

KK - great weekend, the jump sounded brilliant. As for the mara, a  sub 4 is in your reach but if I were you I'd start off fairly steady as it's easy to get giddy and start off too fast (done it loads of times) as the race "starts" after the 30k mark and then maybe you could do a faster second half.

Big G - I studied in Leeds when Vinnie Jones was playing there and I used to chat with him at nightclubs etc. What a nutter, very funny though.

Lesley - fantastic, no wonder you were smiling

Mowzer - you are amazing. Most people would have given up and you still did a very good time.  I hate running in the wind.

Emmy - oh no, you're making me feel guilty, I don't do core exercises at all 

Shades - I was thinking the other day that if I did the 200 daily squats that you do I'd have a cracking bottom. Must put them on the "to do" list along with sit-ups...

Auranya - it is scary. Seriously if you see one you don't like the look of do something like picking your nose or spitting. I've been told that it could help as it "spoils" their image of a "female".

03/09/2013 at 15:44

Molly - I'll send you the file that i'm working out to. If anyone else wants it - the event is called: 30 day challenge.

03/09/2013 at 15:46

Had a decent 10k run home from work on my own yesterday and cycling today. Swimming before work tomorrow morning (not a lesson just by myself) then run home with a friend so we'll have a good gossip and catch up. 

Got my first tri on Saturday at 6pm. Half of me thinks what an earth am I doing the other half thinks have a go and enjoy. It's a mass start in the sea so I shall wait until they've all gone before venturing into the water so I won't get elbowed, kicked etc. I don't have a wetsuit so that's covered my excuse for being last. The bike stage is on a mtb over rocks so I'm just praying I don't get a puncture. Then the run bit is on the seafront and by then it'll be dark so noone will see me looking haggard at the finishline. 

03/09/2013 at 15:49

Crickey Molly - your first tri and it's in the sea! You don't do things by half! I'll be thinking of you!

03/09/2013 at 15:49

Emmy - cheers for that. Got no excuses at all now! What's the difference between a sit-up and a crunch and also do you do 100 squats in one go or say 20 x 5 with a 20 second pause inbetween? 

03/09/2013 at 15:51

Emmy - Until Sat I'm going to be obsessed with the wind forecast as it strong wind= rough sea. What a sad life!

03/09/2013 at 15:56

Molly - I had the same question

Tip from someone on the event: I tell folk to do crunches on their back with their knees bent, hand on thighs then just come up until their hands reach their knees.

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YqoYDdvny4

I do the squats all in one go and I mix it up by doing bouncing squats that really work the quads and if i'm at the gym i'll also do them with weights. The main thing is to work on your form so if you can't do the full 100 in good form - break them down into 50x2.

You're a braver woman than I! My first tri was in a lake and that was scary enough!

03/09/2013 at 16:22

KK, loved the account of your jump, almost (but not quite!) tempted me to give it a go one day.

Emmy, well done on the core exercises. I'm convinced it's the one thing for me that will help ward off future injuries. I'm not disciplined enough to do them at home though. Not been to Pilates for a few weeks now but you have reminded me that I should go tomorrow. 

LL, sounds like you are in good form for the GNR. Have you done it before? Whenever I see it on telly I always wish I was running it but it's quite a long way from home for me.

MM, respect to you for doing a tri with a sea swim, I really hope the weather works in your favour! I studied at the uni in Leeds in the early 90s but never once saw Vinnie Jones. We did have Eric Cantonna's wife/or was it girlfriend in our French department though!

03/09/2013 at 22:05

Auranya - that's really scary. Don't go near Waltham Abbey, but need to find out about the one on New River.

Molly - you're very brave (and maybe a bit nutty ). Have you been practising your transitions and running with wobbly legs ?

When we lived in Plymouth a friend used to have a duck pond (complete with ducks!) in her back garden. Can't remember getting any ducks eggs but my youngest son once fell in the pond. He was covered with black goo and smelled awful .

04/09/2013 at 07:13

Auranya - you need to feel safe when you run.   Can you run in the morning before work perhaps?

KK - LOL at you feeling wobbly on the scaffolding after doing a parachute jump!

molly - I do my squats when I can, if I had to wait until I had 'time' to do all in one go I wouldn't start.  Don't do any sit ups though.   In last week's circuits class I counted the number of squats we do per circuit, all except one set with weights and we did 135.  We do 2 circuits per class.  Haven't even counted the number in the Kettlecise class.

Wow your first tri came around quickly, I'm sure you'll be fine, you're an experienced racer and that will help you.  

Last run for me today before Sat's ultra, my longest race of the year, 50 miles and bit of a toughie for me especially as last year I DNF'd at 14 miles as I was sick.   Am going to do some serious carbo loading over the next couple of days...bring on the cake

04/09/2013 at 08:10
SHADES wrote (see)

Am going to do some serious carbo loading over the next couple of days...bring on the cake

Did I hear cake?!

That's some serious squats in a class routine!

04/09/2013 at 08:18

Did someone mention cake?! 

My wife made her Victoria sponge cake yesterday, and it is bloomin' lovely.  I'm looking forward to another couple of slices today, but I can't use "carb-loading" as an excuse....

I did 6-miles easy-pace after work yesterday.  It went fine, but it was very hot yesterday. I've got 8-10 planned today, 6 on Friday and then the Half on Sunday.

Mowzer, my wife (then girlfriend) and I lived in Plymouth as students (1995-1999).  We lived walking distance from the main Plymouth campus; I went there and she travelled to Marjons teacher training college in the car.  I don't go there that often these days (I prefer Exeter if I'm honest), but occasionally I meet up with a few old Uni friends in Plymouth for "old times sake"  It's changed a lot since we were there; the campus is almost unrecognisable.  My wife still goes to Plymouth Uni and Marjons regularly as she takes in teacher training students who need teaching practice to get through their courses.  Also, about once or twice a year the University organises "gifted and talented" (yep, G&T....seems apt for teachers) workshops to the kids who look to be good at maths.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.