Shades Marathon Training

62,441 to 62,460 of 66,224 messages
04/09/2013 at 08:10
SHADES wrote (see)

Am going to do some serious carbo loading over the next couple of days...bring on the cake

Did I hear cake?!

That's some serious squats in a class routine!

04/09/2013 at 08:18

Did someone mention cake?! 

My wife made her Victoria sponge cake yesterday, and it is bloomin' lovely.  I'm looking forward to another couple of slices today, but I can't use "carb-loading" as an excuse....

I did 6-miles easy-pace after work yesterday.  It went fine, but it was very hot yesterday. I've got 8-10 planned today, 6 on Friday and then the Half on Sunday.

Mowzer, my wife (then girlfriend) and I lived in Plymouth as students (1995-1999).  We lived walking distance from the main Plymouth campus; I went there and she travelled to Marjons teacher training college in the car.  I don't go there that often these days (I prefer Exeter if I'm honest), but occasionally I meet up with a few old Uni friends in Plymouth for "old times sake"  It's changed a lot since we were there; the campus is almost unrecognisable.  My wife still goes to Plymouth Uni and Marjons regularly as she takes in teacher training students who need teaching practice to get through their courses.  Also, about once or twice a year the University organises "gifted and talented" (yep, G&T....seems apt for teachers) workshops to the kids who look to be good at maths.

04/09/2013 at 08:22

Emmy - I made a cake last weekend, with prunes and pecans and cinnamon...yummy

The squats are usually in the form of exercises with the kettlebell, plus ski squats with a bar, squats with a ball, so actually you don't really notice that you're doing so many squats.   Have cancelled my Kettlecise for Thurs night as I need ache free legs for my ultra this weekend  Have circuits tonight though

04/09/2013 at 08:27

SK- Yes I have done the GNR once before in 2 hrs 35 mins and missed the target of 2.5 hours that I had set.  This was only due to having to wait 5-10 mins at a toilet queue for my other half though, so I was gutted.

This time I mean business  After my long run the other day I feel confident that we can beat this time as have been regularly doing 10 min 50 sec miles.  Its just depends how it goes on the day.

Shades - 50 miles wow.  I am sure you will do brilliantly.  135 squats, impressive, I keep meaning to start doing some other exercise but havent got round to it yet.

04/09/2013 at 09:09

MM - interesting about your first tri.  Good luck!  My SiL is doing a local one (her first) in a couple of weeks too.  I must admit, I'm tempted especially after reading the Brownlees' (where should the apostrophe go here...or shouldn't there be one!?) book, and also Chrissie Wellington's book about Ironman.  Those peeps doing Ironman are tough!  As a kid, I was a good swimmer in the pool (I swam for Devon, but that was only on one occasion) as I am tall and I was slim but I let it drop when I was about 14/15.  Open water swimming is a different kettle of fish though, isn't it.  I'm okay on a bike, but funnily enough a physio reckoned me using a bike regularly contributed to a back problem I had 2 or 3 years ago.  I do have a bike (a hybrid) but don't get out on it much due to the running I'm doing.

04/09/2013 at 09:19

Big G - The main reason why I havent done more tri's is due to my poor swimming. I'd love to do a swimming class where I can learn how to do the strokes properly.At school we were only shown how not to drown!

Lesley - Get on board the 'core train'. It's surprising the places that you feel the burn!

Shades - ooh - that does sound yummy. I rarely cook with fruit because of the amount of liquid it gives off during cooking. I'll be in the UK this weekend for Bacchus and am secretly hoping that my mum will be baking. I'm a sucker for her baked goods! I used to do "hot iron" in Germany which is very similar to kettlecise/circuits and I think we recorded over 200 squats in various positions and exercises in one session. I was teaching Molly about bouncing squats where you control the bounce in the squat but don't go all the way back up into a standing position.

04/09/2013 at 09:31

MM - Good luck with the tri , I must get round to doing one. I'm a cyclist (MTB) turned runner & can swim ok (When I go!) so all the elements are there....how hard can it be ! haha. Sounds a good tri though, in the sea and offroad bike, is the run offroad as well?

Shades - 50 miles, 26.2 still scares me...what's the longest ultra you've done ?

LL - Good luck with the GNR, you'll smash 2:30. Must remember to watch on tv.

Big_G - Need a hand with that Sponge   ?

Tough quite pacey(for me!) 6miles last night, mostly off road with some hills. Footy tonight & then a 10-12 on Thursday & hopefully a 20 this weekend, although not sure where I'm going to fit it in yet.

04/09/2013 at 09:48

Emmy - followed day 1 of core exercises to the book  and nothing aches either today!

Shades - ooh 50 miles I hope you have a much better time than last year and hope that weather will be ok. Good idea to miss kettlecise beforehand. Have you seen a visible difference in your running since doing them? ie less tired after a marathon, faster times etc (I'm sure there must be massive benefits).

Lesley - best of luck for GNR and I'm sure you'll come in well before 2h30. 

Big G - you must have been a good swimmer then to swim at county level,I'm well impressed!

KK - you've got all the ingredients then to be a triathlete - get in there! No the run is on the sea front on the road by then everyone tells me I'll have jelly legs. never practised running after cycling or swimming!

04/09/2013 at 10:10

VR - how's your back now? are you back running?

04/09/2013 at 13:07

Lesley - I'm sure you'll do really well at GNR this time, but tell OH you'll not wait for him if he has a loo stop, he'll have to catch you up!

Emmy - we do those squats in Kettlecise, but call them wide legged half squats and we're not allowed to bounce just move slowly to feel the burn

KK - I've done a 100k road ultra (badly), will have another go next year.  Distance wise furthest I've covered is 80 miles during a 24 hour race.

molly - no, absolutely no difference to my running since doing all those squats.   I started doing them to heal an injury and I continue to do them to keep that injury at bay.

04/09/2013 at 15:50

Shades - there was me thinking that I should be following all of your good examples with squats, core exercises etc and theres no difference since doing the squats, at least if they keep you injury free thats something.  Maybe I wont rush home and start them though after all  Good idea on the OH loo stop, I might have to do that

I feel like I am getting a cold as I've had a headache for the last 3 days, I hope not the timing is not great as the GNR is not far away now.  I am tapering now so it wont affect my training much at least anyway.  I am running with the club tonight probably about 4 miles and then hopefully 3 miles tomorrow and Saturday and 45 mins Sunday. 

04/09/2013 at 18:12

Molly-went for my first run in over a week today. Still get a few twinges and stiffness and I think it had helped. So I hope it goes away! Forever! If i get there, Berlin will be slow! Such a shame. But at least I'm running.

all this talk of Tri! What's going on !!

05/09/2013 at 06:55

Lesley - hope that cold has come to nothing.

Doing core work, squats etc., any sort of cross training are all very good for you and are invaluable when recovering from injury but running is sports specific, so to run better/faster/further is achieved by running.  

VR - at last you're back out running, that's brilliant

Rest day today for me

05/09/2013 at 09:14

Well so far so good, nothing has come of the cold.  I had a headache for 3 days and went to the running club last night and did their shortest run as I am tapering now for the GNR (3.2 miles) and the headache went and so far touch wood its not come back and I had a great nights sleep for once.  I feel cracking today

Shades - Arent rest days good, why the sad face

Whats everyone got planned for the weekend, anything good?

05/09/2013 at 09:29

VR - Good to hear you're running again, didn't realise you were doing Berlin as well.

Lesley - Taper madness! & yes run your own race don't be waiting for the oh.

Deliberating whether to swap my runs around & do a 20 tonight & a 12 at the weekend as it may be easier to fit in. Then whilst driving in this morning I was wondering whether to run home (23 miles!)...confused now. So now I don't know whether to attempt 23 or walk the first 2 & make it a 21. I could go the other way home which is 'only 18' but then I'm stuck on the wrong side of the mersey and would have to catch the train or ferry which puts me off. Hmmmmmm. Arghhhh. Oh and just thought whilst typing this that my car would then be at work so would have to cycle/train in to work in the morning. Rest days are much simpler , enjoy yours Shades.

05/09/2013 at 10:19

Had a slightly longer but slower run yesterday evening. It was rather humid and I went out slightly earlier than usual. Might go for another run tonight if it cools down sufficiently.

Regarding sleep I always find I sleep better if I've run that day.

Looking forward to hearing about Berlin!

05/09/2013 at 11:49

Shades - I know what you mean about rest days.... with Boyska I can't remember what one is

I'm very lucky that this weekend he'll be coming with me and we'll be exploring some of the local forests around my parents.

05/09/2013 at 11:53

Auranya - I find the same thing. If I havent run - it always takes me longer to nod off than if I have. It used to be that if I went to the gym in the evening I'd be awake for hours but now - I can quite happily go to bed straight after having a shower!

What is everyone doing this weekend? I'm running Bacchus, Shades is doing her ultra. Are we all LSR'ing?

05/09/2013 at 12:20

I've got a Half Marathon in Bridgwater and I'm debating what to do regarding pacing.  In theory, it's a PB course but as we all know it depends on how it goes on the day.  It's an 11am start so I will need to think about food a bit as usually a Half is done and dusted by the time this one starts.  The forecast does show rain, which as long as it's  fairly light rain with no wind suits me just fine.

05/09/2013 at 13:06

Lesley - good news the cold was just a scare.

Don't like rest days, would rather be running

KK - I only work less than a mile from home so a 'run to work commute' is never on the agenda

Auranya - there's 5 of us from this thread doing Berlin, not until the 29th Sept though

Big G - as you are running well I think as long as you feel good on race morning then go for a PB, conditions should be good

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.